C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A with DeWitts Short Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 02:30 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Default A&A with DeWitts Short Radiator

Quick question on A&A kit fitting.

If I stepped up to a DeWitts short radiator, would I be able to bring the radiator cradle back up, or does it need to remain at the 1/2" drop for airflow over the FMIC?

What benefit does the shorty offer, just clearance at the top?

The SPAL fan option for this radiator. Are these excessively loud, or similar to factory. I'm interested, but don't particularly want to hear them over the blower or engine.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:24 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Tusc
Quick question on A&A kit fitting.

If I stepped up to a DeWitts short radiator, would I be able to bring the radiator cradle back up, or does it need to remain at the 1/2" drop for airflow over the FMIC?

What benefit does the shorty offer, just clearance at the top?

The SPAL fan option for this radiator. Are these excessively loud, or similar to factory. I'm interested, but don't particularly want to hear them over the blower or engine.
While I can't comment on how it would fit on the A&A kit, since I have a modified ECS kit, I can answer some of your questions...
Even though it is shorter, it DOES a very good job of cooling, and YES, go with the spal fans, not too loud and well worth it!!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:33 PM
69GTO96Z
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I am running the A&A YSi kit with a short radiator and spal fans. I was able to lift the cradle back up. I had to ditch the 4” inlet pipe and go back to the A&A one.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:22 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 69GTO96Z
I am running the A&A YSi kit with a short radiator and spal fans. I was able to lift the cradle back up. I had to ditch the 4” inlet pipe and go back to the A&A one.
Interesting...I asked Andy about this and he said we still need to lower the cradle but nothing to cut from the rad....I was looking at this rad for the purpose on not lowering the cradle..

Did you have any issues with fitment with the cradle in stock position?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:24 PM
69GTO96Z
Racer

Originally Posted by tabbruzz
Interesting...I asked Andy about this and he said we still need to lower the cradle but nothing to cut from the rad....I was looking at this rad for the purpose on not lowering the cradle..

Did you have any issues with fitment with the cradle in stock position?
No sir. I picked the intercooler up about 1 inch, and trimmed some of the sheet metal panels provided in the kit, fit like a glove. I love having my ground clearance back.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:36 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Amen.

I've got the Coupe now, have to complete the deal on the Z. Both have A&A kits. Based on experience with the coupe, lowered on coil-overs, I find it absolutely worth it to regain that bit of clearance on our long noses.

Now what I would be really curious about would be to see if that 1/2" had any significant change in IAT.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:45 PM
69GTO96Z
Racer

I have noticed zero difference in IATs or cooling. I am running meth though, and am meth dependent. I did end up building a new charge pipe, as the one provided rubbed the hood liner slightly. You can see below, A&A YSi, direct drive, twin meth nozzles, cut down radiator, all tucked under there with the radiator support at stock height. If you look at the plastic A&A air intake, you can see how close it is to the radiator. Still have AC too

My next project will be to try and fit the front radiator shroud back on there, and probably make some custom radiator brackets. I do not like how these line up with the cradle moved back up. It works for now though.

Last edited by 69GTO96Z; 04-04-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:05 AM
darsondriss
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was able to get the cut down radiator to fit with a 4inch intake pipe by trimming down the bottom mounts about a 1/4-1/2". Its a super tight fit that will require some massaging and I currently do not have a hood liner, but it is possible. My lower radiator support is unmodified and I am using A&A upper radiator mounts.

Last edited by darsondriss; 04-11-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Back when I had my A&A Ti setup I used the Dewitts cut down radiator and a 4" 60* aluminum bend to make my intake and I just had to lightly dimple the underside of the bend for clearance. No cradle spacers were used.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A with DeWitts Short Radiator

Quick Reply: A&A with DeWitts Short Radiator