C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License plate filler mod, does it really work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 AM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

Default License plate filler mod, does it really work?

Anybody whose done it, did it reduce your temps? I'm thinking about doing it for the summer months along with some trimming on fog light inserts. Looking to drop about 5-7 degrees at idle but not sure if this will do it. Not having problems while moving.

Last edited by ascastil; 07-23-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Depends, what's your current cooling system setup?
Old 07-23-2019, 12:19 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Dewitts radiator with 1 huge brushless fan, new water pump, cooling system vacuumed then fillrd with 75/25 distilled water and coolant and a bottle of water wetter for fun. Temps are excellent with ac off, 220. Itll hit 240 with ac on. (All new ac system too, oem.)

So I figured I could make the cut and run it without a screen insert piece to see it it works but I have a sheet of metal from the A&A kit blocking the airflow.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:26 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Old 07-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Is your big fan shrouded in or just zip tied to the radiator?
Old 07-23-2019, 01:09 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

The fan shroud is welded to the sides of the radiator from Dewitts.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:57 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 511 Posts

If you're looking for cooler temps at idle only, I honestly doubt opening up the license plate area will affect anything at all...

It sounds like you've got hardware all set, but what about the tune? I'd be surprised if they're not already, but be sure your fans are programmed to come on earlier. That's usually combined with a 160 degree thermostat.

If all of that is already done, I'd recommend something you may or may not be a fan of: Trackspec hood vents.

My blower is currently getting installed, but in anticipation of the extra heat, I installed the Trackspec side vents I found on CL for a good price. You can buy the whole set or the sides/center separately and they have awesome customer service
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-28-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 03:10 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ascastil
Dewitts radiator with 1 huge brushless fan, new water pump, cooling system vacuumed then fillrd with 75/25 distilled water and coolant and a bottle of water wetter for fun. Temps are excellent with ac off, 220. Itll hit 240 with ac on. (All new ac system too, oem.)

So I figured I could make the cut and run it without a screen insert piece to see it it works but I have a sheet of metal from the A&A kit blocking the airflow.

Just open your sheet metal plate, thats what i did.
Ill check if i got some pics laying around.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:33 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by heggsc5
If you're looking for cooler temps at idle only, I honestly doubt opening up the license plate area will affect anything at all...

It sounds like you've got hardware all set, but what about the tune? I'd be surprised if they're not already, but be sure your fans are programmed to come on earlier. That's usually combined with a 160 degree thermostat.

If all of that is already done, I'd recommend something you may or may not be a fan of: Trackspec hood vents.

My blower is currently getting installed, but in anticipation of the extra heat, I installed the Trackspec side vents I found on CL for a good price. You can buy the whole set or the sides/center separately and they have awesome customer service
I've recently posted my cooling problems in another thread but the fan isn't controlled by computer anymore it has it's own sensor in the radiator hose. I was also thinking opening up the plate wouldn't help because the car isn't moving and that's not where my problem is, it's only with ac on at idle. I also considered a vented hood but them remembered I had the hood open in my driveway and it still reached near 240 idling with ac on. Maybe it's my new winter car.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:33 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by always faster
Just open your sheet metal plate, thats what i did.
Ill check if i got some pics laying around.
Thanks, appreciate it.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:59 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ascastil
I've recently posted my cooling problems in another thread but the fan isn't controlled by computer anymore it has it's own sensor in the radiator hose. I was also thinking opening up the plate wouldn't help because the car isn't moving and that's not where my problem is, it's only with ac on at idle. I also considered a vented hood but them remembered I had the hood open in my driveway and it still reached near 240 idling with ac on. Maybe it's my new winter car.
Sorry I haven't seen that thread. Computer controlled fans or not, I guess the question is: are both fans coming on and staying on when you exceed a reasonable temp? If not, then I'd imagine that's your problem. Actually just saw you said you have a single huge fan...maybe that's the problem? If it's "huge", but still not moving enough air (or at least as much as the two stock fans), that could be a problem.

I didn't see a new thermostat mentioned in your hardware list either. Even if you did put a new one in, might be defective? For $20 and 15 minutes of time, I'd throw in a brand new 160 degree one just to be extra sure.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:02 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 07-24-2019, 08:02 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Didnt really do it for engine cooling as much as for the intercooler airflow. I also opened up the vents near the fog lights.
I would agree it probably wouldnt efect idle temps.
Mine runs cooler w the AC on due to the second fan.
On scorching Fl days it might go over 220
Old 07-24-2019, 09:09 AM
INSTIG8R
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Does the fan have a high speed setting to switch to under a load or higher temp? Or does it blow the same initial speed the entire time?
Old 07-24-2019, 12:11 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by INSTIG8R
Does the fan have a high speed setting to switch to under a load or higher temp? Or does it blow the same initial speed the entire time?
From the Dewitts site:
Fans are designed to soft start at 165 degrees and ramp up in power as needed to 185 degrees.

I believe its the 17 inch brushless. Ive emailed the vendor on any help he can provide. He uses this same radiator fan combo on his C5, 1000whp. Ive done a bit of business with him so I dont think he would steer me in the wrong direction.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:22 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

There is a spot on the upper right for the blower. I was wondering if more air may be needed there where the fan isnt pulling. I was laying in bed wondering if a pusher fan would help on that side of the condenser. I also noticed this morning the shroud is riveted onto the radiator. I dont have the heart to take apart this piece of art to try a dual fan setup.

I apologize also because this thread is starting to be very similar to my overheating with ac on thread. Not really my intentions. Ive been on forums long enough to know this bothers some people lol.

Last edited by ascastil; 07-24-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:41 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

I don't know man. I'm definitely no engineer, but I feel like having two slightly less powerful fans that move air over a greater area is more beneficial for cooling an engine bay than having one powerful fan that moves air over a smaller area. And with either option, the hot air needs somewhere to go and that's usually up. I know reverting back to stock fans and cutting a few large holes in your hood for vents isn't exactly an ideal experiment, but it seems like you've addressed every other factor that I can think of already.

I just pulled up a thread from a guy with the same issue as the first result on Google and there are a couple "fixes" in it from other people. I'd definitely do some Googling and reading. Unfortunately that's all I've got. Good luck man!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3289606-my-c5-dewitt-s-radiator-and-fan-install.html

Get notified of new replies

To License plate filler mod, does it really work?

Old 07-25-2019, 01:17 AM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

I think I've decided I'm going to go with another Dewitts radiator and stock fans since all the research says the stock fans are better than the dual 12inch Spals. I'll put the setup I have for sale possibly some time next week. If it's not keeping my car cool may as well sell and downgrade a bit.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:20 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Sucks that you have to go through all of this when you specifically bought "upgraded", EXPENSIVE parts for it. Good luck man, hope it works out!
Old 07-25-2019, 09:39 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Ya I know. Willing to try anything now though. Just bought some stock fans. My quest has begun.

Quick Reply: License plate filler mod, does it really work?