C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a nitrous shot measured in flywheel hp or rear wheel hp?

Old 03-01-2004, 12:13 AM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Is a nitrous shot measured in flywheel hp or rear wheel hp?

I'm thinking flywheel, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Devil Dog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is a nitrous shot measured in flywheel hp or rear wheel hp? (KillerVette99)

Yes, it is measured at the flywheel, most power adders are measured this way unless otherwise noted.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Old Timer
Pro

Default Re: Is a nitrous shot measured in flywheel hp or rear wheel hp? (KillerVette99)

Jon,

It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Nitrous Express rates theirs in RWHP. This is the most conservative method and from what I've read and hear on the forum their ratings are very accurate overall. If your going to buy, be sure to ask specifically how the system you are going to buy is rated.
I'm currently installing the Nitrous Express NXL direct port system. Nitrous Express has been very helpful regarding questions I have had. (I've probably called them 10 times so far as I'm a little **** about quality installations) My '98 has the fuel return line and requires some modifiications for proper installation.
By the way, before you start an install, make sure you have all the parts you're suposed to have and that they fit properly. This will make your install go much more smoothly. Mistakes do happen even with the best vendors.

Barry
Old 03-01-2004, 11:43 PM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Is a nitrous shot measured in flywheel hp or rear wheel hp? (Old Timer)

Thanks for the info. :thumbs:
Old 03-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The NX wet kits are rated RWHP. I believe the dry kits may be rated at the flywheel. :cool:
Old 03-02-2004, 12:01 PM
STAGED
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Generally the ratings end up being very conservative estimates of rwhp gain regardless of the manufacturer intent of the ratings. Also the rwhp gains realized on the dyno translate very well to the track (traction/driver enabled) since for the given peak number, there's gobs of torque from down low and the minimum of add-on weight penalty of the system.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:22 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is a nitrous shot measured in flywheel hp or rear wheel hp? (BOTTLE FED)

The NX wet kits are rated RWHP. I believe the dry kits may be rated at the flywheel. :cool:
how does NX know what gears and transmission you have to rate it that way?

:confused:
Old 03-03-2004, 03:44 AM
Devil Dog
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is a nitrous shot measured in flywheel hp or rear wheel hp? (ryan0)

Exactly!
Old 03-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Is a nitrous shot measured in flywheel hp or rear wheel hp? (ryan0)

:confused: [/QUOTE]

The amount of RWHP made is more of a baseline with any mod. There are of course, several factors that will determine the amout of horsepower you see with ANY mod you make. The more mods you have done to your car to increase it's efficiency, (cam, heads, etc.) the less INCREASE you will make from nitrous when compared to a stock engine.
As far as gears and transmission go, if you make changes in you TC (automatic) or gears, you will usually see a decrease in your rwhp if no other changes are made.
Bottom line is, the nitrous system manf. cannot possibly list a hp rating for every engine and transmission combination, so it is probably based stock engines, rounded off to the nearest 10hp or so. Correct or not, when speaking with the techs at NX they stated that their hp ratings were rwhp.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a nitrous shot measured in flywheel hp or rear wheel hp?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a nitrous shot measured in flywheel hp or rear wheel hp?