C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank

Old 06-17-2004, 08:48 PM
TriniJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank

I have the Optima red top battery with the side & top posts. Can the top posts be removed to install the Magnacharger coolant tank?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:48 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank (TriniJoe)

Unless the posts unscrew....which I really don't think they do you are stuck with them.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:42 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank (EatRice)

I noticed the same thing, the tank looks like it will not fit with optima (with top posts) you might be able to carfully saw the posts off the battery and be ok,,,,file them flat after cutting. you will sitll have a little left...use a piece of pad on top of the battery, I think the idea of placing the tank on top of the battery was bad.....cheap way out
Old 06-18-2004, 10:27 AM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank (wrustywrench)

if your're spending $6k on a blower then you should spend $70 bucks on a new battery to make it work.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:13 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank (vettewreck)

Intresting, so my Yellow Optima wont work huh. I did not know that. Well, looking like I will have a lot of parts from my motor I will have to put up for sale.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:07 AM
EFI-1
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank (vettewreck)

Robbie, what battery were you running?
Old 06-19-2004, 04:06 PM
TriniJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

if your're spending $6k on a blower then you should spend $70 bucks on a new battery to make it work.

Vettewreck, if I do not have to spend the extra cash, I prefer not to. I could use that $70 bucks to purchase the boost gauge. The Optima is a very good battery, I will try sawing off the top terminal/posts.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:02 AM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank (TriniJoe)

Just so you know..there is a good possibility of breaking one of the cells while you are sawing off the top post. If that happens your battery is shot no repair toss it in the trash.

Not trying to be a total jerk here but what gives? Lets say 50k for the car with what you have in it you can not spend 70 bucks to the do the job right? Sorry but I see that so often here and just blows my mind. It is a CORVETTE it is a piece of American heritage...it deserves the job to done correctly to the best of your ability. Come on man..if you are going to skimp on a battery why don't you get a civic and join the rest of the monkeys that don't understand what a true performance vechicle is.

Sorry I had to vent that.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:46 PM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank (EatRice)

Come on, I am sure he knows to be gentle when sawing off the posts,,, and please, dont be so richy richy , not all of the furum guys are loaded with bucks. At least he is trying to do something to his car. He does have the good battery, and I really dont know of another battery to use. What I would like to know is the 04 have top posts, will the maggie tank fit with the new 04 batteries??? I realy doubt if you will break a cell by sawing off the posts, I am sure the posts are not hollow. It would take a lot to break the case of an optima.....I too would saw them, and save the bucks. Oh, I must be one of those hillbilly vette owners ......oh well....and I own a toyota,,plus a 33 plymouth street rod, two model t fords, a few motorcycles, and a tractor...atv's, go-karts....sandrails....and not a one is stock.

[Modified by wrustywrench, 7:49 PM 6/21/2004]
Old 06-21-2004, 03:30 PM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank (wrustywrench)

Dave, I just had the stock battery, but I also never did get the intercooler so I never had to replace it.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:39 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice collection wrustyrench....my bad. I have several autos and motorcycles myself. Not as many or as old but a few bucks non the less. Either way it does not matter...half butt is still half butt. I do not mean to single out this person or to flame him. But it is my strong personal opion to the job right the first time. Since a new proper battery is very easily attained and the current battery in use would not be hard to install it beyond my comprehension why to do a hack job. If anything modify the factory battery box to make the battery fit lower into the car and retain the Optima. The Optima is an excellent battery but there are other that are just as good and alot smaller in size. http://www.stingerelectronics.com/we...ries_power.asp Either way I still stand by my statement. The vechicle did not come with a hacked battery it should not have a hacked battery if there is a better way to do it. Obviously the funds are there, respect the vechicle.

[Modified by EatRice, 8:23 AM 6/22/2004]
Old 06-22-2004, 07:56 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Oh, I do agree with the half butt stuff and ,no, I would not rig anyting on any of my cars,, but if I could not get the tanks to fit, the posts would come off. I consider it customizing....thanks for mentioning the other batteries...the stinger is a nice unit, I have seen them in a few rods. to each his own...I actually think the tank on top of the battery is cheezy....a nice fabbed aluminum one with a place for ice would be cool,,but where would you put it,,,??..why not getone of the optima battery covers and be done with it,,,they cover the battery and the posts and creat a smooth top ...see, no rigging....

[Modified by wrustywrench, 12:59 PM 6/22/2004]
Old 06-22-2004, 08:05 AM
RWH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you must, try using a grinder to sand down the posts. If I'm not mistaken the post are a soft material, lead I think. It should grind down pretty easy without a lot of pressure on the post. Just my .02
Old 06-22-2004, 08:27 AM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank (RWH)

wrusty...customizing is when you do something/make something that is not really available to purchase or you take what is available to the next level. Cutting off battery posts when another battery could be purchased and used is not customizing that is rigging it.

The Stinger batteries work very well. I have one in my car.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:27 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

I give up.. by a new battery..... ,,, and I know custom,,,,

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optima Red Top battery with side & top posts & Mag coolant tank