Sponsored by:

Aftermarket alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Aftermarket alarm?

I searched here and it seems nobody uses an aftermarket alarm. The OEM alarm I think is inadequate. Theres no motion sensor, no shock sensor, no glass break sensor. Not to mention if all of us have the same alarm, undoubtedly it would be easy for someone to figure out how to foil/disable. Has anybody put in a aftermarket alarm in their car? I wonder how it would communicate with the OEM door locks etc since alot of it is BCM controlled....
Old 03-23-2005, 01:22 PM
VinnyG
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have replaced my factory alarm with a Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 2-Way Security and Remote Start System with Responder, including window control and Back-Up siren. http://www.clifford.com/matrix/responder/default.asp
The remote starter is a awesome feature. And if your car is tampered with the built in paging system is fantastic.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:30 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Viper Alarm, remote starter and pager

EG
Old 03-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,528 Likes on 521 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

how much for your system guys ( 2 previous posts )
Old 03-23-2005, 01:52 PM
VinnyG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
how much for your system guys ( 2 previous posts )
I can't speak for EG but mine was right at $650 installed. The basic alarm system w/ remote start and pager runs right around $500/installed. Mine was an extra $150 due to the window modules($100) and the siren ($50).
Old 03-23-2005, 02:10 PM
1bernie1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Vipers on all my vehicles. I had 3 cars stolen when I lived in NYC. The C5 has the remote start as well. ~$500 installed.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:20 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

DEI owns Clifford and Viper along with several other product names. All of the DEI systems are excellent but they are not worthwhile unless installed properly. Make sure you search out a very qualified installer especially if you plan as many options as VinnyG has. Personally I use Viper alarms in my vehicles I just have not taken the time to install on in my vette yet. When I do it will be one of the repsonder alarms with GPS tracking.
http://www.directed.com/security/vip...nder.asp#791XV
http://www.directed.com/security/viper/gps.asp
Old 03-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Baron138
Drifting

I have a Python installed in my C-5. The remotes are actually pagers also. The remotes have diagrams of the car and is used to let you know whats going on. The car tells the remotes if the doors are locked or unlocked. If a door is open or closed. If the car starts. If the alarm is tripped, it tells what tripped (motion, glass break, door opens, etc.) It has a starter kill, siren and flashing lights when the alarm is tripped. The only option I didn't get was the remote start. I don't drive the car if it's below like 50, and I keep it in the garage. I like it a lot. It's made by the same company that makes Viper. Viper is what I have on all my other cars. I alarm everthing though. I think I paid around $450 for it installed. It's usually more but I drop a lot of cash with the guy I use so he takes good care of me.

Last edited by Baron138; 03-23-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:28 PM
MSGvette
Safety Car

I have a Viper with proximity,pager and back up battery.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Clifford here, about $650 installed.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:39 PM
DickieC.99
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eRiCdWoNg
Not to mention if all of us have the same alarm, undoubtedly it would be easy for someone to figure out how to foil/disable.
IMHO, alarm systems are a waste of money and you wont be the only one with your alarm of choice either. If someone wants your car they are going to get it. The vette aint no civic. If someone is coming after your vette they probably know what they are doing. But I've had a civic stolen...VIPER 8500, back up battery in case they disconnected the main, interior 120db alarm to hurt intruders ears, motion sensor, etc, all the bells and whistles. Guess what, they figured all this out and towed the car instead. Who pays attention to an alarm going of in a parking lot anyways, especially when its being TOWED. The pager is a good idea, but what are you going to do run out there and stop them? What if its a REAL organized gang stealing your car. LEO's thought MS-13 was behind my stolen car. You willing to risk bodily harm, or worse, to save your car? When they finally found my car the perps had even taken most of the alarm system, but left the "brain" on the floor of the car for what I took as an extra "F YOU SUCKER."

Your best bet is some kind of GPS tracking system. Hopefully they will find the your car before it gets stripped and your out the money for all your extra parts. Maybe they will even catch the guys....which is VERY RARE
Old 03-23-2005, 03:45 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I paid circa $600 installed. Tweeter in CT installed it - I wanted it done right so I did not do this one install myself.

<rant : on>

I strongly disagree with the forum member above that said that alarms are a waste of time. I have a house alarm as well as a car alarm. It will NOT stop a professional - but - it will stop the random vandals and opportunistic thief. Also, I have a CCW permit so investigating if my property is being stolen/damaged is a non issue.

The member that said that alarms are useless is suggesting (indirectly) that we should all just roll over and be victims - and let the sub-humans run the world. I strongly disargee with that philosophy. Yes, getting killed over a "thing" is very stupid - but why should I sit by and let the sub-humans steal that which is the product of the sweat of my brow and toil of my hands???

Here endeth the lesson. <rant : off>

EG
Old 03-23-2005, 03:57 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DickieC.99
IMHO, alarm systems are a waste of money and you wont be the only one with your alarm of choice either. If someone wants your car they are going to get it. The vette aint no civic. If someone is coming after your vette they probably know what they are doing. But I've had a civic stolen...VIPER 8500, back up battery in case they disconnected the main, interior 120db alarm to hurt intruders ears, motion sensor, etc, all the bells and whistles. Guess what, they figured all this out and towed the car instead. Who pays attention to an alarm going of in a parking lot anyways, especially when its being TOWED. The pager is a good idea, but what are you going to do run out there and stop them? What if its a REAL organized gang stealing your car. LEO's thought MS-13 was behind my stolen car. You willing to risk bodily harm, or worse, to save your car? When they finally found my car the perps had even taken most of the alarm system, but left the "brain" on the floor of the car for what I took as an extra "F YOU SUCKER."

Your best bet is some kind of GPS tracking system. Hopefully they will find the your car before it gets stripped and your out the money for all your extra parts. Maybe they will even catch the guys....which is VERY RARE
I see what you're saying- and to be honest if someone really wants my car that badly, then thats fine, I have insurance coverage, and my car is a DD, not exactly pristine condition. If someone stole my car that would probably be a blessing and I wouldnt want it back after that, so no GPS or lojack for me.

What I'm hoping to guard against is the casual thief looking for a smash and grab and/or the stereo. It happened to my friend, stole my leather coat which was stuck under the seat. Its just one extra measure of defense.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:57 PM
newyiddy20
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EnglandGreen
I paid circa $600 installed. Tweeter in CT installed it - I wanted it done right so I did not do this one install myself.

I strongly disagree with the forum member above that said that alarms are a waste of time. I have a house alarm as well as a car alarm. It will NOT stop a professional - but - it will stop the random vandals and opportunistic thief. Also, I have a CCW permit so investigating if my property is being stolen/damaged is a non issue.

The member that said that alarms are useless is suggesting (indirectly) that we should all just roll over and be victims - and let the sub-humans run the world. I strongly disargee with that philosophy. Yes, getting killed over a "thing" is very stupid - but why should I sit by and let the sub-humans steal that which is the product of the sweat of my brow and toil of my hands???

EG
stongly strongly agree!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 05:07 PM
BiggieBoy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Nope--No after market alarm on my Corvette. That's why I have comp coverage on my car insurance policy. And yes, no alarm on earth will stop a thief who has his mind made up to steal your car.....
Old 03-23-2005, 06:46 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DickieC.99

Alot of what is said here is true. There is no way to stop someone from takingthe car. An alarm will not stop a tow truck. BUT an alarm will deter and often stop the pain in the butt situations. The situation where a 15 year old breaks your window to get the CD's. I agree a tracking system is the way to go but an alarm with it is still a good idea. This also goes back to my statement about installation. The installation is the key to a properly functioning security system. IN your case where the alarm brain was found on the floor of the car is an exact case of an alarm not installed correctly. A security system should blend totally with the electrical system. It reminds me of people who use the "club". The club is a big clumsy piece of steel that makes the car easier to steal and gives the perp a weapon to hit the car owner with. All in all any security system is only as good as the installation. The installation will turn an alarm system into a security system.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:12 PM
furio666
Instructor

I Install a compustar and a hidden fuel/starter kill switch

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket alarm?

Old 03-24-2005, 02:41 AM
ditty22
Drifting

hands down the best alarm would be the compustar all day long baby! ditti
Old 03-24-2005, 06:57 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by EnglandGreen

EG
I agree and will fight it to the bitter end
Old 03-24-2005, 09:30 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

A 15 yearold would not like my CD's

Quick Reply: Aftermarket alarm?