Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,532 Likes on 523 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Air Conditioning not as cold..

2000 C5 w/ 34k miles.. Air condition is cool, not cold.. Easy fix? Anyone help with experience? .. Thanks
Old 06-03-2005, 02:49 PM
maxfli's5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just last week mine was colder on the passenger side than the driver side, hell ! i just knew it was in the mixing box under the dash so i pulled everthing out and found nothing. so then stangkiller says check the freon . i dont understand it either but check the freon. it wasnt that low either good luck
Old 06-03-2005, 02:53 PM
JLA
Drifting

Slow leaks are not uncommon for any vehicle. It will not get better on it's own unfortunately.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:12 PM
red97vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once you have a leak in the AC system its only a matter of time before all the freon is gone. Find the source of the leak before recharging the freon or else you will just have to keep replacing it.

red
Old 06-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

where and how can i get freon put in? Sorry for me being "dumb" but what exactly is freon?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:37 PM
SFengineer
Racer

i believe everyone is refering to R-134a rather than R-12, aka freon (used in pre 1993, but now banned due to ozone depletion). R-134a is available in almost all auto part stores and anyone can buy it. They're in steel can typically in the cooling section of the stores. Some have "leak stop" in them, but it's still up in the air as to if it works. Other option is to find the leak - typically involves putting a uv dye into the systems and looking everything over with a blacklight. New systems are more expensive and use "sniffers" to detect the refrigerant. Hope this helps and good luck
Old 06-03-2005, 06:45 PM
Cole
Pro

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
2000 C5 w/ 34k miles.. Air condition is cool, not cold.. Easy fix? Anyone help with experience? .. Thanks
When it comes to refrigeration, I use professional help. The alternative is to purchase/borrow guages, get 134A refrigerant from a parts store or Walmart and recharge the system. You can purchase dye tracer systems to find leaks also, but the professionals do it quickly and easily.

Cost is pretty low to rechareg and fix an O-ring leak - the most likely source of a problem. Find a garage that you can trust and have them do it.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Cole
When it comes to refrigeration, I use professional help. The alternative is to purchase/borrow guages, get 134A refrigerant from a parts store or Walmart and recharge the system. You can purchase dye tracer systems to find leaks also, but the professionals do it quickly and easily.

Cost is pretty low to rechareg and fix an O-ring leak - the most likely source of a problem. Find a garage that you can trust and have them do it.
True, the EXXON rightr near my house is reliable, and have had them work on another ls1 in my 01 camaro z28, and a toyota supra.. will call them up and make appointment.. thanks So they problem will probably cost how much? Considering if its got to do with recharging and fix an o ring leak?

Get notified of new replies

To Air Conditioning not as cold..

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning not as cold..