Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So how much drag coefficient is increased w/ the headlights up in the C5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 04:01 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by RJH20dog
I'm curious....you planning on driving over 170 MPH at night?
Do it all the time!

Seriously, I was curious too, because I am really thinking about getting fixed lights, because I am not a huge fan of the buildings that pop up when I turn on the headlights.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:09 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1vette97
I wonder how much it really effects top speed?!? If it's alot I'm going to have to look into some bright foglights!
At 150mph and over the headlights will not even come up all the way when you turn them on. I never did a top speed run with them up, but they do make a difference.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:09 AM
99torchredlb
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RJH20dog
I'm curious....you planning on driving over 170 MPH at night?
Or maybe in the fog
Old 08-02-2005, 08:22 PM
SFengineer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tried going down a hill (the grapevine in so cal) with them up (but not on) and down. The difference was huge! Coasting for three miles at a 6% grade with the lights up, the car stayed at 85 or so. With them down, it went more than double digits. I hate the pop-ups
Old 08-02-2005, 09:09 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by SFengineer
tried going down a hill (the grapevine in so cal) with them up (but not on) and down. The difference was huge! Coasting for three miles at a 6% grade with the lights up, the car stayed at 85 or so. With them down, it went more than double digits. I hate the pop-ups
However this could have been due to headwind vs. tailwind on different particular days You would have had to known the winds velocity and direction for any accuracy. I'm certain that the drag is in part a factor, just don't know how much???
Old 08-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Bounty Hunter 10
Intermediate

Default Eject, Eject, Eject

My guess is at 175mph when you pop the headlights, they'll quickly separate from the car. Then the two big holes where the lights used to be will allow enough air into the engine bay to separate the hood from the vehicle. Once the hood is gone, the airflow will build up against the firewall until it punches thru and impacts under your seat. At that point, your seat will eject thru the targa top and you've successfully egressed your cockpit. Total time from turning the switch to driver separation is 1.5 seconds. Built in low tech ejection system!

I imagine you could top out your velocity in 6th gear where drag overcomes horsepower and then pop your lights. You should see a significant decrease in your top speed. You could then move the switch to parking lights leaving the housing popped up to isolate the electrical system. Your velocity should then slightly increase with the reduced electrical load.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:16 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
At 150mph and over the headlights will not even come up all the way when you turn them on.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:57 AM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

it's cancelled out by the coiefficient of cool
Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 AM
graysgarage
7th Gear

I've answered this question.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by graysgarage
I've answered this question.
And you felt the need to point that out in a nine year-old thread after already creating a new thread about it?
Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

It's an interesting question, for the science of wind drag, and coefficient of friction, and down force (ie from rear spoilers, at speed).
Lots of wind tunnel testing, I remember reading, when C5 was being developed and engineered. I think C5 set some new standards (at that time) for wind tunnel efficiency, I recall reading. I do not remember reading about how the headlights up, effected the wind tunnel efficiency.

But I'd think it has no 'meaningful' effect at all, except at high speeds. Same thing with rear spoilers, have little effect at slow or cruising speeds. Actually, I read that spoilers, are 'inefficient' at low, or normal speed, simply creating drag without useful downforce. I imagine the same would apply to headlights in the up/on position.

Who runs top speed in a C5 Corvette at night? Unless you are in a 24 hour Lemans type race, I suppose....

Most speed runs, and races, at track events I've ever seen were in the daylight. Drag strips are mostly lighted for night events, (at least the ones I've been to were).

Of course, there is amatuer night, when the drunks and fools are out amongst us.

Don

Quick Reply: So how much drag coefficient is increased w/ the headlights up in the C5?