Sponsored by:

Paint looks foggy- help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 07:37 PM
sk187
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint looks foggy- help

I cant stand to look at my navy blue 00 coupe in direct/bright sunlight. The paint looks kind of foggy in direct sunlight. I dont know what it is I bought the car 1.5 months ago and it has been like this ever since.

It might just be how navy blue looks but its bothering me. I took it to a body shop and had a wax/polish done on it a few weeks ago but it still doesnt look right.

They didnt think I needed a buff but I think thats the only option left.

Again it may just be me but in any but anything but direct sunlight the car looks good but if you take it out on a day with lots of sun it looks kind of foggy and scratchey maybe a little swirly like it had a bad buff/wax before.

Anyone have any suggestions or is this just common?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:44 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Congrats on your new ride

Without pix, I'd think it was oxidation.
If you have it waxed, the wax just sealed the oxidation onto the clear.

What you may want to try is having it done with a high speed polisher and some type of high quality cutting agent (a little abrasive). Of course this would be after a wash, using a wax stripper (Dawn works or any specific product). There would be a couple of other steps involved as well.

I'd like to see what you're talking about ... can you post some pix?

Dave
Old 07-25-2005, 07:52 PM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

I'd try to claybar it first. Take a small area. Somewhere not too noticable. Wash w/ dawn and then claybar. Let us know what happens. If there is no improvement have it buffed with a mild polishing compound. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:10 PM
sk187
Instructor

I just tried to take some pictures but it looks fine under the lights in my garage.

Its only in bright sunlight , it looks foggy and you can see some very faint swirl marks like someone buffed/waxed it to deep.

Im not fermillar with a clay bar at all, I think my best option is probably to schedule a body shop apointment.

If I can some sunlight tomorrow I will deffinetly take pictures.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint looks foggy- help

Quick Reply: Paint looks foggy- help