Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how well did C5's do during crash tests?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Mad_Maxxx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

oops, sorry, I was thinking about another car(It's too early for me!). Actually I have a picture of the vette I was talking about from the museum, the vette wasn't too bad, except it looked like the radiator and front of the engine were toast!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

The pictures that blacksedan87 posted are of the Corvette at the NCM. As you can see the passenger tire is almost where it was before the crash. The corvette is an extremely safe car. Not only does it incorporate the panel shedding, and hydroformed frame rails, but it also incorporates energy absorbtion in the seatbelts (EA Loops) and also has the traction control, active handling to "prevent" accidents. Furthermore, I believe the airbags were updated to incorporate reduced inflation force (I'm not sure about this but my dad thinks they did based on the seatbelt revisions, he was the 2nd engineer on the program). The doors have the side impact beam that run diagonal across from the top front of the door to the rear bottom. The weight of the car is also favorable. Also, you have a long hood and a lot of area infront of the driver that can be "compacted" in the event of a crash...nothing is a guarantee but having all this technology around you sure helps! The new C6's have even more technology and the also have pretensioning seatbelt buckles...

Last edited by Stealthy4; 10-18-2005 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cedarberry (10-12-2015)
Old 10-18-2005, 11:19 AM
5.0_CJ
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I dont think I could hit the button to start the crash sequence.

...just like porsche couldn't on the 959... thats why it was never legalized in the US, they wouldnt crash test them.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:03 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Here is a link to a similar thread from a month ago. Included you will find a link to the video of the actual crash of the white C5 pictured earlier in this thread. The car held up quite well considering it is a 30 mph head on impact into an immovable barrier. You will see the car's outer shell dissipate much of the force of impact and the passenger compartment remains relatively unscathed.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...o&forum_id=103

I have not been able to find any NHTSA data on the C5 Corvette, but it is obvious that it was tested by the GM team anyway.

Paul
Old 10-18-2005, 05:44 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
I have not been able to find any NHTSA data on the C5 Corvette, but it is obvious that it was tested by the GM team anyway.

Paul
NHTSA doesn't test vettes. Either they won't buy one, or GM is unwilling to give them one (I don't blame GM.) But as mentioned above, check the insurance ratings on vettes, and you will find they have very good injury/fatality ratings. I know that is cheaper to insure than my wife's PT cruiser.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:16 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
A C5 is a seriously safe car......its ability to absorb impact is second to none in the US market. Those who say it is a coffin on wheels have no clue to the engineering safety designs built into this car..... AS Ive mentioned in another thread... even the console door hinge is designed with front rear, and side impact safety in mind... it will stay half closed and keep any objects inside from becoming potential airborne shrapnel.

Awesome.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:55 PM
b_mouzakis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash tests

Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
I don't ever plan on crashing mine, but you always get that general "I don't know the hell I'm talking about, but.." comments about how unsafe corvettes are because they are "fiberglass" (the evil weight saver).. I don't believe any of that crap, simply because fiberglass is just as good of an impact absorber as any I would assume... anyone have any real data on this?
I don't know about fiberglass verses steel. But what I do know is fiberglass wont bend in an accident. It will break apart while not providing you any protection like steel will. This is my opinion only. I could be wrong!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 04:28 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I personally can attest that Corvettes are a safe vehicle when in a accident !! In 1976, a day before Easter weekend, a friend and I, with me driving my 64' Corvette roadster at night along the Colorado River on the Cal. side. When I was approaching a curve to the left, a speeding car (unknown type) came across the line and was headed straight towards me, blinded by it's high beams I turned the Vette to the right enough to avoid the head on. All I remember was seeing blue dots and blinded as the car went by me and jumping on the brakes, long story short, we went off the road and landed nose first into a 15 foot revine hitting the steep hillside at 37 mph. I still believe to this day the fiberglass absorbed a great deal of the impact and softened the abrupt stop which saved our lives. We did sustain some moderate injuries, but we lived to tell the story. This incident in my life made me a firm believer in the Corvette as a safe vehicle, if we had been in a metal car the concussion of the impact would have been far more severe. This is my belief !!

Last edited by 2FAS4UU; 10-11-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:31 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default the real deal...& not a test

Data compiled since the original 2005 posting...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3362140
Old 10-11-2015, 07:53 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

It has a strong cage built around the cabin. If you see pics of even very bad accidents, where the front/rear is pushed all the way in, the cabin area is still whole.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:20 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by b_mouzakis
I don't know about fiberglass verses steel. But what I do know is fiberglass wont bend in an accident. It will break apart while not providing you any protection like steel will. This is my opinion only. I could be wrong!!!
Interesting comment considering that Indy cars and F1 cars now are built to shatter upon impact. The concept is that energy is dissipated when the body parts shatter and leave the car during impact thereby saving the driver. Corvette did not use fiberglass for this reason but the GM engineers may have been on to a safety factor going all the way back to the first Corvette.
IMHO the total mass of a vehicle and the safety engineering mean a whole lot more than fiberglass or steel skin.

Quick Reply: Just how well did C5's do during crash tests?