C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)

Old 11-10-2005, 07:12 AM
VinnieR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Austin, Texas 2005 National Champs in Football and Baseball.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)

Did a search and found nothing on this. The door sticker on my 03 vert shows a GVWR of 399 lbs, which is actually less than my Harley's GVWR of 419 lbs. A full tank of gas would weigh about 100 lbs, leaving 299 lbs for everything else. Two 150 pound passengers, and you're overloaded even with nothing in the trunk. Of course quite a few of us weigh a lot more that 150 (myself included) as do many of our passengers.

So what gives here? Is Chevy being over cautious? Aren't most of us operating "overweight"? Have you ever heard of any dire consequences from this?

Maybe I'm just looking for something more to worry about.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:15 AM
Gray Ghost
Safety Car

Sounds like a decimal point problem to me
Old 11-10-2005, 08:39 AM
VinnieR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

It's not a decimal problem, but I did state the first post badly. Actually, the GVWR is 3670. The 399 lbs figure is listed as "Vehicle Cap. Wt." on the same line where the number of passengers is shown. I assume that is Chevy's number for the total allowable passenger weight, including fuel if I'm right. My guess is that a lot of us exceed that regularly.

On most vehicles, the GVWR is driven by the tire capacities. Is that what's going on here? Is it related to the EMT tires capacity when they go flat? Anyone know if this is a real issue?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:44 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've been driving my car for almost 2 years with no ill affect. Between my wife and my self - we weigh about 370 lbs. plus any other cargo. Fuel and other fluids are included in the curb weight stated by the manufacturer. So considering that - we would only have less than 30 lbs. for cargo. I know on our recent drive to Vegas from Phoenix for SEMA - we had more than 30 lbs. of luggage between the two of us.

We had no issues at all. I think part of it is just a stated weight and if it's a capacity - it is purposely on the low side. We had no issues at all and the car performed flawlessly (as I expected.)
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my z06 doesnt have RF tires and has the same 400lbs recomended max load. I dont think there is anything to worry about if you go over the limit... as long as its within reason... no cememt bags or rocks..
Old 11-10-2005, 04:38 PM
VinnieR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

bump
Old 11-10-2005, 04:53 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm fine when I'm by myself, but when I have my hefty friend (330lb fat dude) in the car, it bottoms out all the time. Altho, i'm using aftermarket suspension
Old 11-10-2005, 06:06 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

GVW lets you know how much weight you can put in the car combined with the weight of the car. Installing new heavier springs will increase the cars ability to handle a larger load. Something to keep in mind if your car is bottoming out with your current setup. Also another side note. I have found after several years the C5 springs sag... so they do need to be upgraded anyway after some time on the car.

VR
Old 11-10-2005, 07:25 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
I've been driving my car for almost 2 years with no ill affect. Between my wife and my self - we weigh about 370 lbs. plus any other cargo. Fuel and other fluids are included in the curb weight stated by the manufacturer. So considering that - we would only have less than 30 lbs. for cargo. I know on our recent drive to Vegas from Phoenix for SEMA - we had more than 30 lbs. of luggage between the two of us.

We had no issues at all. I think part of it is just a stated weight and if it's a capacity - it is purposely on the low side. We had no issues at all and the car performed flawlessly (as I expected.)

I think we have a winner!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:09 PM
SRQC5
Pro

well i only weigh 120 lbs...but i can notice a difference in performance between whether or not i have my 40 lb backpack and books in the trunk...thats how sensitive the car is...i dont think the car will break...but the car performance will not coincide with the factory numbers...

Get notified of new replies

To Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)