Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipe, does it change the sound of an after market exhaust ?

Old 11-17-2005, 10:09 PM
W.A.M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default X-pipe, does it change the sound of an after market exhaust ?

For members who added an X-pipe.

What affect did it have on the sound of your after market exhaust ?

Did you notice a difference in the sound ?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 03:08 AM
terlox
Racer

I haven't installed an x-pipe on my car but from what I've read an x-pipe is supposed to lessen the popping sound that some systems experience on deceleration.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:43 AM
darkredlt1
Instructor

Default x-pipe addition

My vet had corsa exhaust on it when I purchased it and I added the x-pipe. It is a little quieter and more mellow. Don't misunderstand, the corsas are still loud. I didn't get the x-pipe for the sound, but because there is a school of thought that it aids the exhaust flow for a little more hp. Go for it.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:04 AM
GLF
Burning Brakes

Yes, the x-pipe will change the sound of your aftermarket catback or even stock exhaust for that matter. Previously, I had B&B PRT's installed on my '03 Convertible. They were a great improvement over the stock exhaust catback, but there was still a gurgling motor boat sound due to the lack of performance from the stock h-pipe. So, I added an x-pipe, but at the same time, I also added long tube headers and high flow cats. Trust me, at that point, no more gurgling motor boat sound but a much better and deeper and louder exhaust note! I realized that the gurgling was gone due to the x-pipe, and I was going to be disappointed if the x-pipe killed off the popping on deceleration. Quite the opposite in my experience. The popping on deceleration was louder and almost sounded like backfiring at times, which sounded awesome to me. But, then again since I added long tubes and high flow cats, that may have over-ridden the x-pipe's ability to cut out the popping. Not sure on that one.

Now, I've taken the PRT's off and installed B&B Bullets, and the popping on deceleration is deeper and quite loud at times, but it has a good steady note for the most part. It just depends upon how hard of a decelaration I do and if I downshift or just push in the clutch and coast to the stop.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cutts down on the popping during deceleration, also scavanges exhaust better than the H-pipe.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:09 AM
TAGVETTE
Racer

I had one put on a month ago. I still get low RPM pops, but the majority of it is gone. It gives it a more mellow tone. Not as gutteral, just deep.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:45 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I had the Corsa Pacecar with the stock H pipe and I hated the motor boat sound at idle. I added the MagnaFlow X pipe and the Motor boat sound is gone and the poping is much less. I also noticed it smoothed out the sound alot and it not as loud until you stomp it. I highly recommend the X pipe.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Halfway
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

I've had my X in my garage for 2 months now...I need to install ASAP after hearing your posts guys!!!

I have a B&B PRT now, I hate the way it sounds (on car when bought), I'm hoping the x-pipe makes the exaust a little more to my liking
Old 11-18-2005, 11:54 AM
stsears1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My popping on decel definitely got a lower tone, but I added headers and hi flow cats as well, the resonance at highway speeds got a little less noticeable too....but on WOT, a lot louder, makes my hair stand up sometimes....
The following users liked this post:
s n v f f (04-27-2023)
Old 11-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,187 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When I put the X-pipe on mine, it made the exhaust note a little deeper, eliminated a lot of resonance and stopped the popping I was getting when I let off the gas. It was well worth the money.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:17 PM
MY1STPEWTER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dark-Knight
Cutts down on the popping during deceleration, also scavanges exhaust better than the H-pipe.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:55 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It stops the motor boat sound and the popping on decel. It just smooths out the sound.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:09 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Originally Posted by GLF
Yes, the x-pipe will change the sound of your aftermarket catback or even stock exhaust for that matter. Previously, I had B&B PRT's installed on my '03 Convertible. They were a great improvement over the stock exhaust catback, but there was still a gurgling motor boat sound due to the lack of performance from the stock h-pipe. So, I added an x-pipe, but at the same time, I also added long tube headers and high flow cats. Trust me, at that point, no more gurgling motor boat sound but a much better and deeper and louder exhaust note! I realized that the gurgling was gone due to the x-pipe, and I was going to be disappointed if the x-pipe killed off the popping on deceleration. Quite the opposite in my experience. The popping on deceleration was louder and almost sounded like backfiring at times, which sounded awesome to me. But, then again since I added long tubes and high flow cats, that may have over-ridden the x-pipe's ability to cut out the popping. Not sure on that one.

Now, I've taken the PRT's off and installed B&B Bullets, and the popping on deceleration is deeper and quite loud at times, but it has a good steady note for the most part. It just depends upon how hard of a decelaration I do and if I downshift or just push in the clutch and coast to the stop.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:56 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it remove the cats? Or does it have nothing to do with the cats?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

Originally Posted by Jays Z06
Does it remove the cats? Or does it have nothing to do with the cats?
I has nothing to do with the cats. I basically replaces the stock H pipe.

Do it, you'll be glad you did.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:02 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, gets rid of the "motorboat idle."
Old 11-18-2005, 07:17 PM
grunz95
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GLF

I just purchased a 99 coupe with stock exhaust. I have been trying to decide what system I want. What do you think of the Bullets? Really happy with them?

Thanks, Grunz

Get notified of new replies

To X-pipe, does it change the sound of an after market exhaust ?

Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Mrhavasu
Advanced

So which x pipe should I get? I have the b-b bullets.
Thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 08:54 PM
2003vert
Racer

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
When I put the X-pipe on mine, it made the exhaust note a little deeper, eliminated a lot of resonance and stopped the popping I was getting when I let off the gas. It was well worth the money.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:48 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I had my x pipe cut away and welded the holes. It now has true dual exhaust and has the real muscle car sound, before y or x pipes were ever used.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X-pipe, does it change the sound of an after market exhaust ?