Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardwiring iPod to stock Bose stereo... review my research...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 08:47 AM
DoctorBrinkley
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardwiring iPod to stock Bose stereo... review my research...

I don't want to control the iPod with the Bose headunit. I hear a lot that it is quirky and has glitches; plus how the hell do I know what songs I'm choosing from the headunit? Sounds pretty annoying and slow.

I just want the iPod coming through the speakers and I'll navigate from the iPod.

Apparently there are no line-ins on the Bose headunit so here is what I may be going with...

This converts the CD Changer plug to accept RCA plugs (the red and white plugs for audio)...
PIE GM10-AUX - $70
This provides a cord to connect from the iPod to the new RCA plugs provided by the GM10-AUX above...
Blitzsafe UII iPOD Interface - $60

Is there a smarter way to do this? Is there a cheaper quality way to do this?

Anyone vote to get an all new headunit? (If so why and whats the cost comparsion for a quality unit that's not crazy on bells and whistles?)

Last edited by DoctorBrinkley; 12-18-2005 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:09 AM
sprk33
2018 Grand Sport
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Could Not Find

I have been to all the stereo guys in my town and they say i cant do it with stock GM stereo. I bought the monster transmitter and play it through my stereo that way. Of course i loose a little bit of fidelity but find it works good still.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:14 AM
DoctorBrinkley
Racer

Originally Posted by sprk33
I have been to all the stereo guys in my town and they say i cant do it with stock GM stereo. I bought the monster transmitter and play it through my stereo that way. Of course i loose a little bit of fidelity but find it works good still.
No way dude, it's do-able. Watch me.

Those transmitters suck. Someone used it with me a year ago in their car and I can't imagine them getting any better.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

the problem that most people run into trying to use the "AUX" input for something other than the factory CD changer - is that the radio won't activate the input unless it sees valid serial data coming from the CD changer.

In the harness going to the rear mount changer, there are a few wires.
*12v
*ground
*Audio - L
*Audio - R
*audio ground
*serial data line

The serial data line is used to send commands back-n-forth between the headunit and the CD changer. The changer also sends serial data to the headunit about the disk number and track number on this same wire. Without active serial data flowing between the head unit and the CD changer... the aux input will not activate.

There are aftermarket gizmos that connect to the changer harness. They send useless (but recognizable) serial data to the headunit - fooling it into believing there is a working factory CD changer connected; and the AUX input is activated.

I use the PIE GM10-AUX adapter for my hard drive based MP3 player. It has some circuitry capable of generating serial data the head unit needs to see.
Here are pics of my Neo 10gb hard-drive MP3 player:

The remote control head is mounted in the center airduct (I already have a ham radio in the ash tray area... or I would of placed the MP3 player remote head there). And yes... the center duct still functions, but obviously somewhat restricted.

I mounted the main Neo chassis where the optional factory CD changer would of been installed:

keep in mind that the PIE adapter only activates the AUX audio input on the head unit. You can't control the functions of your added audio device via the buttons on the factory radio. All that still functions are the Volume and tone controls when you're using the AUX input.

And the PIE adapter connects into the harness intended to plug into the rear CD changer. If you already have a CD changer... to use the PIE adapter you would have to diasble (unplug) your CD changer.

yes, there is a cheaper method to get aux-ins with your factory setup without using the PIE device.... but you must already have a factory CD changer connected. It's not my discovery, but you can use a relay to switch the L/R audio leads between your CD changer and your external audio device. But don't switch the serial data line... leave it always connected to the CD changer. That way the head unit will see valid command data, but won't know (and doesn't care) where the audio feed is coming from.
Install a switch somewhere upfront to energize the relay.

Using the relay method with an existing CD changer, your factory CD changer will still operate.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 12-18-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:20 AM
DirteeDave
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyte
I don't want to control the iPod with the Bose headunit. I hear a lot that it is quirky and has glitches; plus how the hell do I know what songs I'm choosing from the headunit? Sounds pretty annoying and slow.

I just want the iPod coming through the speakers and I'll navigate from the iPod.

Apparently there are no line-ins on the Bose headunit so here is what I may be going with...

This converts the CD Changer plug to accept RCA plugs (the red and white plugs for audio)...
PIE GM10-AUX - $70
This provides a cord to connect from the iPod to the new RCA plugs provided by the GM10-AUX above...
Blitzsafe UII iPOD Interface - $60

Is there a smarter way to do this? Is there a cheaper quality way to do this?

Anyone vote to get an all new headunit? (If so why and whats the cost comparsion for a quality unit that's not crazy on bells and whistles?)

I'm not familiar with the Blitzsafe UII iPOD Interface. But here's what I used:

C5 Corvette CD-Changer Wiring Harness (GM_COR-HAR)
PAC AB-GM10 Wiring Harness (AB-GM10)
PAC Aux-pod (AUX-POD)

All of this ran a little over $200.

I needed the GM COR-HAR because I didn't have the CD Changer. COR-HAR connected to two cables in passenger footwell, AB-GM10 connected to COR-HAR on one end and to the AUX-POD on the other end (placed AUX-POD box under passenger seat. Cable connects iPOD to AUX-POD. Select the iPOD by pressing the AUX button on headunit. NEXT and PREV buttons control song selection on iPOD (usually, this can be a little tempermental) or control via the iPOD directly. iPOD charges while connected also.

I originally tried the Monster FM transmitter. My original reaction was that it wasn't too bad but after a while I realized how much audio detail I was really missing. Connecting to the head unit makes a HUGE difference in sound quality.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:42 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

No clue on this one. I just ripped my Blose system out and installed all aftermarket. Good luck.

EG
Old 12-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Mike Mercury. You have a PM
Old 12-18-2005, 12:07 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Very easy, you can actually add any MP3 player with a headphone jack to a stock system. Not FM mod, an actual hard wire system.

The IPOD to car, lets you use the radio to control the Ipod.

It can be done and it has been done
Old 12-18-2005, 12:16 PM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the adapter above that connects into the harness for the stock CD changer.
Then, I bought a 6 foot RCA cable from Radio Shack, connected that with a RCA to Mini plug adapter and that plugs into the iPod.

Click the AUX/CD button on the head unit and hit play on the iPod.
Easy as that!
Old 12-18-2005, 12:22 PM
DoctorBrinkley
Racer

Originally Posted by RainJ
I used the adapter above that connects into the harness for the stock CD changer.
Then, I bought a 6 foot RCA cable from Radio Shack, connected that with a RCA to Mini plug adapter and that plugs into the iPod.

Click the AUX/CD button on the head unit and hit play on the iPod.
Easy as that!
Yeah I was thinking about doing it that way too. It would save a lot of money but here's why I may still get the $60 iPod Interface...

"When connected, you will get the cleanest sound, plus it will also charge your iPOD while you are using it. The UII will also charge the iPod for an additional twenty minutes after vehicle ignition is turned off and the UII senses that the switched 12V is shut down. Because of its unique design, the iPod will never be overcharged if left unattended."

Thanks guys for brainstorming with me.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:28 PM
LarryW
Pro

A lot of great ideas here guys

I'll just throw in another suggestion here: mp3yourcar.com. No linky because of forum rules

It's a slightly more expensive route ($189.99 for the iPod adapter and $40.00 for the COR-HAR CD-changer harness) but this setup provided me with three key features that I was looking for in addition to a direct-connection solution to the factory head unit:

1. 100% plug-n-play configuration (no splicing/dicing of wires).

2. Provide a power source to the iPod to charge the iPod's battery.

3. Power off/on the iPod when switching between other sources (CD, AM/FM) or when turning off the ignition key.

And as you indicated, the controlling of the iPod through the factory head unit is available but somewhat hokey! I have a ton of songs on my iPod and it's virtually impossible to navigate through all of them using the factory head unit controls (but the limited functionality is there if I want to use them, RWD, FF, Skip, Prev, etc).

I keep my iPod within easy reach and use the click wheel to navigate through my library (I just disconnect the iPod, close the "cuphold" lid, and stash the iPod if I have to stop anywhere and park: instant stealth ):

Last edited by LarryW; 12-18-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Phidelt076
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nyte,

I've been researching this as well. Have you checked the C5 audio sticky in the Audio section? If I recall there were a few pics of the install in that thread. I know there are a few in that forum that show Ipod installs.

Where are you planning on mounting your ipod? I saw a thread where a guy ran the wires into the center console. I'm thinking of going that route. Were you planning on taking pics of your install process?

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
Y2KNavyBlue (11-02-2017)
Old 12-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryW
A lot of great ideas here guys

I'll just throw in another suggestion here: mp3yourcar.com. No linky because of forum rules

It's a slightly more expensive route ($189.99 for the iPod adapter and $40.00 for the COR-HAR CD-changer harness) but this setup provided me with three key features that I was looking for in addition to a direct-connection solution to the factory head unit:

1. 100% plug-n-play configuration (no splicing/dicing of wires).

2. Provide a power source to the iPod to charge the iPod's battery.

3. Power off/on the iPod when switching between other sources (CD, AM/FM) or when turning off the ignition key.

And as you indicated, the controlling of the iPod through the factory head unit is available but somewhat hokey! I have a ton of songs on my iPod and it's virtually impossible to navigate through all of them using the factory head unit controls (but the limited functionality is there if I want to use them, RWD, FF, Skip, Prev, etc).

I keep my iPod within easy reach and use the click wheel to navigate through my library (I just disconnect the iPod, close the "cuphold" lid, and stash the iPod if I have to stop anywhere and park: instant stealth ):

It sounds like this works the same as the ipod2car. I have the ipod2car and use the headunit to control it and keep the ipod out of site. I usually leave the ipod in the cupholder and control it from there for long trips.

I like Mike Mercury's setup and display. Looks like i'll be adding this to my 'future mod' list.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:57 PM
LarryW
Pro

Yeah I believe the mp3yourcar.com version is probably the same unit you're using, just rebadged. I believe there are several vendors selling pretty much the same thing, my adapter actually says Peripheral on it. One of the guys on the other forum mentioned that you could actually get the Peripheral adapter on eBay for 40-50 bux cheaper but I'm very happy with mine and the customer support that I got from mp3yourcar.com was very, very good

And yes, I definitely like Mike Mercury's set
Old 12-18-2005, 02:02 PM
LarryW
Pro

Originally Posted by Phidelt076
Nyte,

I've been researching this as well. Have you checked the C5 audio sticky in the Audio section? If I recall there were a few pics of the install in that thread. I know there are a few in that forum that show Ipod installs.

Where are you planning on mounting your ipod? I saw a thread where a guy ran the wires into the center console. I'm thinking of going that route. Were you planning on taking pics of your install process?

Jeff
Guys, just an FYI, be careful if you plan to route the cable to the center console and store your iPod there; another forum member, scott_fx I believe, mentioned that the heat from the tunnel damaged his iPod (most iPod's have an internal HD)...just something to consider (maybe make sure you keep a good jacket/cover on the iPod and maybe consider an aftermarket tunnel plate or additional insulation to keep the temps down in the center console)

Old 12-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

plus it will also charge your iPOD while you are using it.
WOW ! Someone was thinking ahead when designing that interface.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:46 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Oh, LarryW is the man. And, I was hoping that he would notice this thread. A few months ago Larry took the time and trouble to PM me, and, to offer very detailed instructions and options that really helped me to become more familiar with this great aftermarket portable stereo music file product (iPod). Looks like that you are on a great start. Enjoy.

Get notified of new replies

To Hardwiring iPod to stock Bose stereo... review my research...

Old 12-18-2005, 05:21 PM
DirteeDave
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by edensknight
Oh, LarryW is the man. And, I was hoping that he would notice this thread. A few months ago Larry took the time and trouble to PM me, and, to offer very detailed instructions and options that really helped me to become more familiar with this great aftermarket portable stereo music file product (iPod). Looks like that you are on a great start. Enjoy.

Larry was very helpful to me also when I was looking into this mod.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:05 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryW

Hey what's that wrapped around your shifter??? Looks kind like a pair of panties to me
Old 12-18-2005, 06:46 PM
LarryW
Pro

Thanks for the kind words guys

I got so much help from other members while I was doing my install that I figure I owe it to help anyone out as much as I can

muncie21, :o you're right they do look like panties actually it's one of my wife's hair scrunchies (she's always made it a point to put one in each car for some reason; they're everywhere )

Quick Reply: Hardwiring iPod to stock Bose stereo... review my research...