Bad gas and Check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Dantas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Bad gas and Check engine light?

couple of weeks ago I put about 10 gallons of 88 octane in the vette, factory procharger kit is installed. Shortly after I noticed the check engine light came on. Well I drove it around and about out of gas about the time I took the car into TSP for some repairs and filled it up with 92 octane before dropping it off. Well I picked it up and the check engine light was not on anymore so I figured they fixed it, I didn't mention anything about the check engine light when I dropped it off.

Well I ran that tank through and again went to the pump where we have a gas card (locally owned private deal) and put about 10 gallons of 88 octane (that is their premium fuel) and again the check engine light is on. Do you guys reckon the car knows it's running some bad gas or something so pops an error up? I'm goung to goto a different station and fill up woth some 92 ocatne again when this tank runs out to see but I was curious in the meantime is that is something that can occur?
Old 05-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Bounty Hunter 6
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

If this local pump is running 88 as its premium, than yes, it is a STRONG possibility that you are probably getting substandard gas. There are a few members here that actually use regular unleaded on a regular basis and do not have problems (most newer cars have knock sensors which prevent damage to your engine, with little noticeable performance to the non-racing driver). That being said, if you are getting the check engine light after using this gas, I would strongly advise against trying to save money just because you have a "deal" because I guarantee the deal does not include the gas station replacing VERY EXPENSIVE parts because of their fuel.

My $.02
Old 05-21-2006, 03:35 PM
LoftyC5
Instructor

Could be more than just the 88 octane. Is it possible they have water in the tank? Strike 2, don't strike out there a 3rd time, it is not worth it. Use a quality detergent gas. Gas guage sending units are notorious for failing because of high sulfer gasolines. A few bucks more for quality gas will save you a lot more then making repairs.
Good luck
Old 05-21-2006, 05:01 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Originally Posted by LoftyC5
Could be more than just the 88 octane. Is it possible they have water in the tank? Strike 2, don't strike out there a 3rd time, it is not worth it. Use a quality detergent gas. Gas guage sending units are notorious for failing because of high sulfer gasolines. A few bucks more for quality gas will save you a lot more then making repairs.
Good luck

My fuel gauge is proof! When I bought my Vette, I thought all premium was the same, WRONG. I wish I had not had to learn the hard way.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Dantas
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks for input guys!

I figured with it being only 88 octane as their premium and I never see anyone getting premium the gas is probably old and may have some water in it. Gonna try the busy gas station and see how it goes with thier premium. Is there a brand of gas that you know is better rthan another brand?

We have a phillips 66 station, a town and country and I think they use Chevron gas and a diamond shamrock station. The 66 and chevron are most busy, one along the hwy and one on the main street in town.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:25 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I use Chevron and now Texaco which contains Techron and is 93 octane where I buy it. I would stay away from Shamrock or Wal-Mart (that is Murphy in Louisiana) gasoline. I also believe Exxon and Shell are OK to use (I know the Shell contains a detergent.) If you think you may have gotten some gasoline with a high sulfur content in it, I would go and by a bottle of Techron at Auto Zone and add it to your next tankful... ON 2nd thought, I would add the Techron regardless, it cannot hurt a thing, and may save your sensors.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Dantas
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

I hadn't thought of that crawfish. I'll go pick up a bottle tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad gas and Check engine light?

Quick Reply: Bad gas and Check engine light?