Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 06:01 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Which Mid-Rise Lift?

Hi Guys,

Looking to buy a mid-rise lift (48" lift). I've spent a bit of time online looking through the various models/mfg's/vendors. I may add a 4 post lift later on, but I don't need the storage space at this time.

From what I can tell, there are three main price-points on the mid-rise variety:

Low Price - $1195/$1295 - Direct Lift: Appears to be foreign made. Many vendors show this lift with slightly different model designations = xxx6MR. Shipping weight +/- 1000 lbs.
http://www.bencostuff.com/products/l...t_Lift_Pro-6MR

Mid-Price
- $1495+/- Bend-Pak: Good brand name, can't tell mfg. origin. Shipping weight appears to be 1200 lbs.
http://www.bendpak.com/product_info.isg?products_id=759

'High' Price - $2000+ Norco: Read good things on here about the Norco, but honestly cannot tell one significant difference between the Norco and the Bend-Pak. Weight 1200 lbs.
http://www.norcoindustries.com (can't give you the exact link - they built their site with frames )

I looked at the Mohawk lifts - awesome quality, but their mid-rise lift isn't as wide as the three listed above (63" max reach).

I'm leaning away from the 'low price' version - if for no other reason than I don't want to be under the cheapest lift

Can anyone educate me about the differences between the Norco and Bend-Pak?

To be honest, I'd prefer the BP just because I have a local dealer. The Norco is tougher to find and the dealer I've tried to reach about it is completely out to lunch.

If anyone has pics of the Bend-Pak, please post them or PM me for an email address. The mfg/dealers don't offer very good pics.

Thanks

Last edited by HIRISC; 06-28-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:38 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I am looking forward to others comments. need to do a similar decision in the near term.

I have read (previous posts) that a lot of members have the Norco. If I recall correctly they were very satisfied.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:52 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I was lurking somewhere on this subject,and it was pointed out the bend-pak was foreign made also..........
So, if true,your looking at name recognition here....

I thought Bend-pak was a quality name too,but that made me think twice.....
I am not saying they are bad,just made me go hmmmm

Honestly,I don't think there is all that much difference in these lifts......unless they are American made

They all seem to weigh about the same,so they should all be fairly stable....then there is one,two or three pistons........I don't know which would really be better

If they are rated for 6k lbs,and your using it for the vette.....you are under half it's limits

I'm thinking econo or midrange myself....

Last edited by flynbya2; 06-28-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:02 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Old 06-28-2006, 07:08 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

This place has a slightly better posted price for the Bend-pak, free shipping....and Call for the sale price! So you will likely get it even cheaper..

http://www.asedeals.com/mid_rise_lift.html
Old 06-28-2006, 08:01 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by flynbya2
This place has a slightly better posted price for the Bend-pak, free shipping....and Call for the sale price! So you will likely get it even cheaper..

http://www.asedeals.com/mid_rise_lift.html
I saw them (ASE...) funky site, but good pricing and someone else on CF seemed to have good luck with them.. Price includes shipping so it's pretty tempting.

My local guy deals with Bend-Pak, but not Norco - previously my first choice. I may push a little harder and see if he can get that lift.. Mark has a good writeup on the Norco and may weigh in here - MARK?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1378888

The difference between mid-high priced isn't that much, just don't want to pay $500 extra for orange paint.

Maybe we can get a group-buy??

Anyone else know anything about these lifts?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I went with Eagle lifts. Price on sale was $1650 shipped to a local freight terminal. Price has gone up in the year and half I have had the unit. You can see their lifts at http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/CTGY/LI-LM. I also purchased the extra tall adapters to use with my Tahoe.

I like the lift and use it all the time. You will need to put some 2 x 8s on each side in order to drive the Vette over the lift and have room to move lift arms. My wife's Saturn doesn't need the extra wood to lift it any higher but the Vette is just low enough to make it too tight to get your hand between the lift and the bottom of the car.

Bill
Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I went with Eagle lifts. Price on sale was $1650 shipped to a local freight terminal. Price has gone up in the year and half I have had the unit. You can see their lifts at http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/CTGY/LI-LM. I also purchased the extra tall adapters to use with my Tahoe.

I like the lift and use it all the time. You will need to put some 2 x 8s on each side in order to drive the Vette over the lift and have room to move lift arms. My wife's Saturn doesn't need the extra wood to lift it any higher but the Vette is just low enough to make it too tight to get your hand between the lift and the bottom of the car.

Bill
Thanks Bill.

Hmm.. There are two mid-rise lifts on that page - any idea what the difference is?

Do you know the model of the one you have? Any idea what the max width of your lifts arms are? I know that the Bend-Pak and the Norco are both max width of 63".. Vette appears to need about 60".. Assume you have a C5, so it must work

Hardly any of these sites (especially those specializing in clone lifts) post complete specs and/or decent photos (although Eagle's photos are OK)..
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
14U2ENV
Melting Slicks

Location: Lino Lakes, MN _________________________ I Figured out how to do this!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06

Chris, Borris on the other site has a connectioon with Superlifts. He has an order in right tnow for a bunch of stuff. See what the price is if you jump in on that order.

http://www.superlifts.com/tmr48.html
Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by HIRISC
Thanks Bill.

Hmm.. There are two mid-rise lifts on that page - any idea what the difference is?

Do you know the model of the one you have? Any idea what the max width of your lifts arms are? I know that the Bend-Pak and the Norco are both max width of 63".. Vette appears to need about 60".. Assume you have a C5, so it must work

Hardly any of these sites (especially those specializing in clone lifts) post complete specs and/or decent photos (although Eagle's photos are OK)..
I have the PMR 6000. The web page for that unit indicates its max width is 57 inches with the arms extended. Never actually measured it but I do not need to be exactly centered to use the lift. I have an inch or two either way. Not sure there is a real difference between the lifts other than an extra set of lift pads.

One thing you need to think about with any lift you get is getting it onto the ground from the delivery truck (4 ft drop). They are going to weigh over 1000 lbs and getting several guys to help lift it may not be a good idea. I ended up having the unit delivered to a freight distribution center and then having a rollback truck pick it up and deliver it to my house. The Roll Back driver then tilted the bed up and slid the unit off the truck right into my garage. Then he used the bed of the roll back to push the thing in far enough so I could close the garage door on a 10 degree night (cost $60 including the 20 mile drive). After that everything went well until I had to get the unit off the pallet it was shipped on. Ended up using an engine lift to hold up one end and pounded/pulled the pallet from underneath the lift. Once on the floor I used the dolly the pump is mounted on to move the lift (1100 lbs) to where I wanted it.

Bill

Well the next string of thunder storms has started. Luckily I live on a steep hill about 400 ft above the highest flooding but can't drive far since a fair number of the access roads are under water.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:54 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 14U2ENV
Chris, Borris on the other site has a connectioon with Superlifts. He has an order in right tnow for a bunch of stuff. See what the price is if you jump in on that order.

http://www.superlifts.com/tmr48.html
Thanks - I'll check him out over there.. I didn't see a mid-rise lift on that site, but who knows?

BTW - I like your 4 post

Old 06-28-2006, 10:58 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have the PMR 6000. The web page for that unit indicates its max width is 57 inches with the arms extended. Never actually measured it but I do not need to be exactly centered to use the lift. I have an inch or two either way. Not sure there is a real difference between the lifts other than an extra set of lift pads.

One thing you need to think about with any lift you get is getting it onto the ground from the delivery truck (4 ft drop). They are going to weigh over 1000 lbs and getting several guys to help lift it may not be a good idea. I ended up having the unit delivered to a freight distribution center and then having a rollback truck pick it up and deliver it to my house. The Roll Back driver then tilted the bed up and slid the unit off the truck right into my garage. Then he used the bed of the roll back to push the thing in far enough so I could close the garage door on a 10 degree night (cost $60 including the 20 mile drive). After that everything went well until I had to get the unit off the pallet it was shipped on. Ended up using an engine lift to hold up one end and pounded/pulled the pallet from underneath the lift. Once on the floor I used the dolly the pump is mounted on to move the lift (1100 lbs) to where I wanted it.

Bill

Well the next string of thunder storms has started. Luckily I live on a steep hill about 400 ft above the highest flooding but can't drive far since a fair number of the access roads are under water.
Re the delivery - it's a very valid heads-up. 1000lbs is no joke and it's not like you can just pick it up and put it into place.

If I buy it locally, I'll just pay the $80 for delivery and setup.. Not even close to wrenching my back out - and my neighbor's too.

Thanks for the info on your lift too - sounds like one to toss into the mix.

Sorry about the rain

Old 06-29-2006, 04:53 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

TTT -

Anyone else weigh in on this?? There have got to be dozens of mid-rise users out there, no??

Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 AM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

OK, one last time to the top.. I'm buying a lift this week!!

Anyone else have any other info/feedback on these mid-risers?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Which Mid-Rise Lift?

Quick Reply: Which Mid-Rise Lift?