Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Seats) Best way to add lumbar support?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:21 PM
96-speed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default (Seats) Best way to add lumbar support?

After a couple weeks in my base-seat equipped C5, I'm encountering the same problem I had in my 4th gen camaro - lower back pains from lack of lumbar support. I've had lower back surgery, and have found out over the years that I need to listen to my back even when it seems like I'm just whining. The effects can be longterm! Anyway, in my camaro, I swapped over to a set of TransAm seats with power lumbar and side bolsters. This swap seems to be very similar to a Base vs. Sport seat comparison. This cured the problem right away. However, C5 seats are much more costly and harder to come by than 4th gen Fbody seats.

With that in mind, I need to add lumbar support. I don't care about bolster adjustment or have a problem with the way my base seats look. I just need to add lumbar support - permanent is fine - I usually max out whatever the stock setting is, which is painfully uncomfortable for most people.

Here are my options:

1. Swap to Sport seats - Most expensive
2. Add some kind of support (any material recommendations?) underneath the stock cover - Most trial/error
3. Slap in some kind of device between my back and the seat itself - most ghetto.

Does anyone have this problem or has anyone else gone through this? I am thinking of adding some kind of foam (solution #2), but not sure what kind to start out with.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan
Old 07-07-2006, 12:30 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Default Lumbar

After two surgeries on L4/5 I can relate.

What I have used for years in all my cars is an inflatable lumbar support placed within the seat between the leather and the foam. Mine have been like a rubber bladder with a small hose attached and a pump like you find on a blood pressure checker.
They adjust to any user and work GREAT.

A quick Google search turns up many choices

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...latelumbar.php

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=67656

http://www.healthmegamall.com/prodvi...idProduct=2810
Old 07-07-2006, 12:36 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed manual inflatable lumbar supports in a pair of RECARO seats in a Mustang. Each seat had a rubber bladder with a bulb hand pump and a metal check valve. They were less than $100 for the pair. Try an internet search under "lumbar support" and you'll probably find sources.
Oops, someone types faster than I do...
Old 07-07-2006, 12:43 PM
96-speed
Instructor

You guys rock! That is exactly what I was looking for. Again, thank you so much!

jrprich: I had an L5 done and it was no fun. Granted, post surgery felt great, because the pain before was something you cannot explain. Only those of us who have gone through know the feeling - and don't wish it on anyone....especially a fellow vette enthusiast .

Ryan
Old 07-07-2006, 12:50 PM
garymilgrom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can add some support without the ghetto look. Find a small pillow that fits your need (ie: gives you the support you want and fits into the seat area) in an American motif. I have a beautiful embroidered cushion with the American flag on one side and some patriotic words on the other.

You can leave it on the seat when you exit the car, or stuff it behind the seatback for theft prevention.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:50 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by 96-speed
You guys rock! That is exactly what I was looking for. Again, thank you so much!

jrprich: I had an L5 done and it was no fun. Granted, post surgery felt great, because the pain before was something you cannot explain. Only those of us who have gone through know the feeling - and don't wish it on anyone....especially a fellow vette enthusiast .

Ryan
I concur, but mine has been so much better these 15 years after surgery But it will always be my weak point.

The bladder type lumbar supports are really nice because unlike the factory built ins, you can reposition them to fit just the right spot, then once you find the sweet spot secure it with just a piece of duct tape.........

I now have them in both front seats of all the cars we have cause sometimes I am not driving

I also had a cloth cover made up for one and I take it on plane trips...........REALLY helps in those crappy airline seats.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:09 PM
gr8vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jrprich
The bladder type lumbar supports are really nice because unlike the factory built ins, you can reposition them to fit just the right spot, then once you find the sweet spot secure it with just a piece of duct tape.........

Whew Hoo! Been waiting for others to bring this up. I have the sports seats, BUT, the lower lumbar support is too high, the upper, well goes without saying, and I am 6 foot tall?

Thought about putting my F150 Lariat Seat in the car, best riding seat I have ever found.

Been lurking, I too thank you for input! Gonna give the air bladders a try.

tt
Old 07-07-2006, 04:49 PM
96-speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by gr8vet
Thought about putting my F150 Lariat Seat in the car, best riding seat I have ever found.
tt
Funny you mention this. I have been driving an 03 F150 the last few months and I hated it at first. the seat sat too high, uncomfy, obtrusive lumbar, etc. After a week, it is probably one of the most comfy/supportive seats I've sat in (auto).

I orderd the one from www.healthmegamall.com as the measurements seemed perfect for the C5 seat (between the bolsters, heighth, depth). I'll snap some pics and give an opinion once I receive it.

Thanks for everyone's input. Stay tuned...

Ryan
Old 07-24-2006, 08:19 PM
96-speed
Instructor

Update!

Got the inflatable bladder in. I installed it and it feels good so far, but it will take a couple of days to know if its doing the job. I'm sure it will, though .

Lumbar support:

Installed:

I'll be back with a report before the weekend!
Ryan
Old 10-20-2006, 04:50 PM
txhorns281
Instructor

how was the install? Fairly easy/straightforward?

Last edited by txhorns281; 10-20-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:48 PM
96-speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by txhorns281
how was the install? Fairly easy/straightforward?
Very simple. Unzip the seat cover from the back, peel it up/back just enough to slide the cushion in - you don't need to remove it completely. I had to slide the cushion in vertically because it was too wide to fit in horizontally. However, it feels just fine.

Excellent mod for the decrepit .

Ryan

Get notified of new replies

To (Seats) Best way to add lumbar support?

Quick Reply: (Seats) Best way to add lumbar support?