Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert Owners...Convertible deck lid not releasing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Dr. Dan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vert Owners...Convertible deck lid not releasing.

I've been having some intermittent problems (once every 8-10x I hit the button) with the deck lid not releasing to gain access to the top. The solution that I've come up with is popping the trunk, then slamming it. The deck lid then opens.

If your next comment is 'Well the trunk wasn't closed' think again. I can slam the trunk after loading it, then try to pop the deck lid, unsuccessfully. Got to go through the same routine again.

Was thinking that a sensor wasn't working but not sure if it's the latch of the trunk, or the conv. lid. Maybe, simply an adjustment is needed. If so, where and how?

Did the search here and on Corvette Action Ctr. to no avail.

Any help?
Dan
Old 07-30-2006, 12:24 PM
ja03c5
Drifting

I would only say the sensor is bad if the DIC is giving you a message that the trunk is open when you try to open the lid. Otherwise, I'd say you're dealing with a bad switch. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:59 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My guess would be the trunk sensor - but the DIC should tell you.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:35 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 323 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Haven't had the problem on my C5 but guessing you are dealing with switch rather than sensor. If you look down where the trunk lock is you should see a small black tab going across it, then the locking mechanism, and then a hard wire looking piece.

I would bet the black tap is the switch that closes to tell the trunk is closed. If the tab were broken or out of adjustment the switch might not work. You would have to take off that back panel to get to the switch and see it it could be adjusted or replaced.

If the switch is good then it may be the wire or a relay that the switch tells the trunk is closed and that would probably be up front somewhere and be more difficult to fix. I would agree the DIC should tell you if it's getting a open switch in the trunk reading if it's the switch or wire from it as it would think the trunk is still open when it's closed. Then you would have to move to the lid switch and see what you can find there...don't know the exact wiring but a easy place to start....good luck.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 07-30-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Dr. Dan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The DIC seems to be working properly. It shows 'Trunk Ajar' when appropriate. No message on those times that the deck lid won't open. Was thinking that it's a problem in the deck lid, either switch or sensor in the lock. But still
Old 07-30-2006, 06:54 PM
blacksofttop
Instructor

Mine does the same thing occasionally, I just push down on the convertible cover lightly, and the button works. Have you tried this?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:43 PM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the button doesn't work can you open it manually with the wire pull? Do the windows go down?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:51 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksofttop
Mine does the same thing occasionally, I just push down on the convertible cover lightly, and the button works. Have you tried this?
Yup, what he said.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Hammie
Melting Slicks

If there's a problem with the trunk being "ajar," when he pushes the deck lid button the beeps will sound and the DIC will show trunk ajar.

Since this is not happening, it sounds like there is a problem in his switch. Are you saying when you push the button, it doesn't make the lock disengaging sound every time? You should hear the lock mechanism releasing when you push the button, each time you push the button.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:51 PM
c5freak
Drifting

Originally Posted by Last C5
Yup, what he said.
Yup Yup. Me three!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Dr. Dan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blacksofttop
Haven't tried this yet, but sounds reasonable. Maybe the locking mechanism needs to be jarred a little. Could be why opening and slamming the trunk works (?)

Hammie,
When I push the button sometimes, I get nothing. No click, no beep, no windows...the same reaction as if the trunk was open. The kicker is that it is pretty unpredictable.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Hammie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dr. Dan
Haven't tried this yet, but sounds reasonable. Maybe the locking mechanism needs to be jarred a little. Could be why opening and slamming the trunk works (?)

Hammie,
When I push the button sometimes, I get nothing. No click, no beep, no windows...the same reaction as if the trunk was open. The kicker is that it is pretty unpredictable.
If you're not getting a reaction after pushing the button, and your DIC is not reading trunk ajar or beeping, I would bet there is a problem in your switch. It's easy to pull out and replace.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:34 PM
dennis12550
4th Gear

Default Convertible deck lid not releasing.

I hope someone can help...
I have a 2000 C5 Convert. It was an A4 that was converted to an M6 by RPM. When I got the car back the deck lid button did not work. Called RPM, no help. As per the forum, I replaced the switch and the latch. Still not working. Went to my shop. As it stopped working when the trans was converted to the M6, they think a neutral safety switch feeding the ECM was removed with the A4.
Is this a possibility ??
Old 10-15-2016, 12:59 PM
blackbear bob
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis12550
I hope someone can help...
I have a 2000 C5 Convert. It was an A4 that was converted to an M6 by RPM. When I got the car back the deck lid button did not work. Called RPM, no help. As per the forum, I replaced the switch and the latch. Still not working. Went to my shop. As it stopped working when the trans was converted to the M6, they think a neutral safety switch feeding the ECM was removed with the A4.
Is this a possibility ??
Very much so. BCM won't allow deck lid release with n/s switch not reporting a "park" signal.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:02 PM
dennis12550
4th Gear

Originally Posted by blackbear bob
Very much so. BCM won't allow deck lid release with n/s switch not reporting a "park" signal.
Do you know where the switch is located ?
Also
I noticed there was 2 neutral safety switches for my C5.
I was also told, I could HOT wire the switch, but, my mechanic said that does not work.

PS: Thank you so much for the reply

Get notified of new replies

To Vert Owners...Convertible deck lid not releasing.

Quick Reply: Vert Owners...Convertible deck lid not releasing.