"Real Corvette owners vs. People who own Corvettes"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:31 PM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

real corvette owners do not post insecure threads, what color was your mustang?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:36 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally dont own a corvette to show off or to make myself look flashy. I just love the look of C5, and C6's and have the car for the power and all around performance. I also attend as many vette events that i can and also appreciate others cars as well. and wave to every one i see

just dont remind me its a chevy
Old 10-19-2006, 02:39 PM
luvshervetnfl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cl601amt
Someone who enjoys their car, and does not get their nose out of joint because of a supposed insult. They don't care, they are about the car, not what others think.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I dabbled in the arena of other vehicles for a few years (85 ranger ->91 Geo Storm ->96 200sx ->96 Prelude Si ->97 Formula Firebird) every time paying for the vehicle myself and progressing to a faster and better handling car.

Soon before the death of my firebird I was trying to decide what the next daily driving pavement pounder was going to be. Knowing that the Z06 was the only logical next step I still had to try other comparable (or so I thought) cars on the market (GTO, WRX STi, 350Z track) to make an educated decision. None of those cars lived up to the caliber of even my firebird, so I decided on the Z06 before I even drove one.

Now at 25 I paid for and own my dream car, and plan to make many changes to morph it into something that is not just a corvette, but MY corvette. I love owning it, working on it, being seen in it, and driving it fast as possible every chance I get.

I know this description doesn't fit everybody, but it's why I consider myself a true corvette owner - realistically there is no single way to describe owners of such a prolific vehicle.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Herringchoker
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Man been singin' the Blues, since he began to till the ground"...Vancouver, USA WA.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ytwokc5
A "Real" Corvette owner doesn't hem and haw between buying a Corvette and "insert any other car here".

A "Real" Corvette owner is someone who probably appreciates most performance cars, but is obsessed with the Corvette mystique.

A "Real" Corvette owner LOVES Corvettes and probably loved them for many years prior to ever owning one!
Well said
Old 10-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm a 50 year young Corvette owner. I drive it and enjoy it every chance I get. Right now, it's my daily driver.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:15 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow .. this entire thread is absolute drivel.

sometimes guys .. sometimes.

who cares a) how old you are .. b) how you use YOUR vehicle ... c) whatever classification you fall under.

plain and simple .. it's car .. wheather you put it in a garage and wave at every corvette that passes or put it on the track and use the car for what it was designed for or a combination of either, whatever, it's a car. It may be a nice car as a whole but at it's core it's just nuts and bolts.

Forget all the other non-sense and JUST ENJOY IT!

... yes, it's that simple.
jeeez ..
Old 10-19-2006, 03:38 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ryan L
This thread title was brought up in another thread when the topic of the "Corvette wave" came up. One member stated that the Corvette wave is dying because there are more "young people who own Corvettes" on the road versus "true Corvette owners".

This baffled me because, as a young person (25 years old), I feel like this is an indirect insult from the older generation towards the younger generation. This had me wondering. What is indeed a 'real' Corvette owner? Is this the same as a real Corvette enthusiast?

Browsing around this forum, it's apparent that most people think 'real' owners are those who drive their automatic Corvettes only on warm, sunny Sundays wearing their Corvette hats and polo shirts, going 5 mph under the speed limit.

In my opinion, you'll find a 'real' Corvette enthusiast at the local test and tune or auto cross event on the weekends driving their car the way it was meant to be driven and not just stored in a garage like a trophy. I feel like most older owners are out of touch with reality and own Corvettes just for the image and do not like the fact that more younger people are buying Corvettes everyday. Realistically, this is the farthest from a real enthusiast as it can be. Who can consider this type of person a 'real' Corvette owner? In my opinion, museum/trophy owners are just "people who own Corvettes."

For example, look at the Z06. The average age of a Z06 owner is only 30 years old. Whether C5 or C6, it is in the purest form, the most true enthusiast-based Corvette ever made. There are no extra weight, such as chrome add-ons, removable tops, power robbing transmissions, etc., just a high horse power motor and a 6-speed. Just drop the hammer and go.

What is your definition of a "real Corvette owner?"
Your going to get LOTS of feedback on this one buddy: :
Old 10-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
What is your definition of a "real Corvette owner?"

There are lots of different Corvette owners, just like there are a lot of different home owners. If you think I'm not a Corvette owner because I don't race mine, I beg to differ. I choose to do with mine what I want because I own it and not what others think I should do with it. I raced my 65 in the 60's, but I'm over it. Doesn't mean I don't love and appreciate that I could if I wanted to. You young whippersnappers race all you want, I don't criticize you for it. Return the favor.
Well said!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:44 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by NSTG8R
wow .. this entire thread is absolute drivel.

sometimes guys .. sometimes.

who cares a) how old you are .. b) how you use YOUR vehicle ... c) whatever classification you fall under.

plain and simple .. it's car .. wheather you put it in a garage and wave at every corvette that passes or put it on the track and use the car for what it was designed for or a combination of either, whatever, it's a car. It may be a nice car as a whole but at it's core it's just nuts and bolts.

Forget all the other non-sense and JUST ENJOY IT!

... yes, it's that simple.
jeeez ..
If you don't like the thread, stay out of it. There's something else for you that's just that simple.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:46 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 46 years old, use my vert as a daily driver, wave to other 'Vettes, don't wear Corvette logo clothing, don't belong to any local Corvette clubs and don't give a flip whether anyone younger or older than I am thinks I am a "real Corvette owner" or not. I "really" don't care. I own it, I drive it. I'm just in it for the fun. Period.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:17 PM
chucks
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
Oldtimer

I am 64 years old and bought my first corvette in 1965. Yes when I was a young man i raced mine every weekend at the drags. I now own a 77 and a 04. They sit in the garage like trophies just as you said. I think i have earned the right to drive them or just you know "wax on wax off". I don't race them but I do drive them. Whatever floats your boat. Chuck
Old 10-19-2006, 04:22 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 323 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

A thread like this has nothing to do with owning a corvette IMO. It's all about people and their likes and dislikes or personalities. IMO be a pretty dull world if everyone was the same.

It's just nice that the "original stock Vette" provides the vehicle for a lot of different people to enjoy as they see fit. What you do with it is just a measure of your personal choices. EOS.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 10-19-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:28 PM
chocoholic
Burning Brakes

It's a good point although I don't think it was meant in the other thread to be an age statement.

I think you'll also find that there is a high correlation between the people who find the need to make those owner-versus-person statements (also seeking to imply that the the statement maker is a "car guy") and those making their first acquaintance with a high-performance vehicle.

As for the age differential via the Z06 owner, I was unaware of the difference but it is a very interesting statistic.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:14 PM
FASTRICE
Racer

Originally Posted by Martymar
FASTRICE

I couldn't of said it better myself. Nice job!
Thanks
Old 10-19-2006, 05:23 PM
istsme98
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rcs128
A real corvette owner is anyone who smiles because of the car they drive.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Yellow 2000
Instructor

I have been an owner and enthusiast for almost 40 years. I bought my first one right out of college and am currently 58 and on Corvette #11. I for one am glad to see young people buying vettes and becoming enthusiasts. Some people wave and some don't, honestly most of the non-wavers are old f**ts like me.

Get notified of new replies

To "Real Corvette owners vs. People who own Corvettes"

Old 10-19-2006, 06:14 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
If you don't like the thread, stay out of it. There's something else for you that's just that simple.
first time ive ever felt the need to say this ..

SHUT UP NOOB!

ok .. i'm done.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:27 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I usually don't wave because I'm hangin' on for dear life. By the way, I'll be 58-years old next month.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Ta-taaa
Drifting

Everyone has their own reason for Loving the "Corvette" it's part of the good old USA Honest.. I think that the time, that was put into writeing this thread was a waste. And not it's not all about a wave.

It's all about what you like...

Just my two cents...

Quick Reply: "Real Corvette owners vs. People who own Corvettes"