[Z06] which air intake system and why

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Jim M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I don't own a Callaway Honker intake yet, and have concerns since the 2004 PCM programming is different (leaner by default at WOT from what I have researched). Several 2004 Z06 owners have reported codes regarding "engine run - lean" condition just from installing CAI's, whereas this usually doesn't impact 01-03 Z06 owners.

I just wanted to see if any 04Z owners had installed the Honker without programming to see what the results were. I do plan to buy this intake, but my car is warrantied and I don't want to risk re-programming if I can help it. Thanks.

Steve T.
I have an 04 Z with the Callaway Honker installed. I have never gotten any codes or check engine light with this intake. It has been on the car for well over a year (no tuning). I had a Halltech Stinger before the Honker and I got the check engine light with codes 0171 and 0174 (common with 04 Zs). The Honker makes great power, is oem quality and looks like it came from the factory. Moving the MAF close to the throttle body like the C6s, is a definite plus in my opinion. I think it's the best CAI on the market.

Jim M

Last edited by Jim M; 03-07-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much for your response Jim, which addresses not only the apparant PCM tuning difference specific to 2004 Z's (as evidenced by your Stinger, relative to 01-03 Z06s), but also what happens when you run a Callaway Honker on a 2004 Z. I sure appreciate it.

Steve T.

Originally Posted by Jim M
I have an 04 Z with the Callaway Honker installed. I have never gotten any codes or check engine light with this intake. It has been on the car for well over a year (no tuning). I had a Halltech Stinger before the Honker and I got the check engine light with codes 0171 and 0174 (common with 04 Zs). The Honker makes great power, is oem quality and looks like it came from the factory. Moving the MAF close to the throttle body like the C6s, is a definite plus in my opinion. I think it's the best CAI on the market.

Jim M
Old 03-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Beaver316
Advanced

I have the twin flow intake on mine. It seems to do ok and is an easy install. Just wondering if anyone else has dyno'd this product, because I have no idea if the "power increase" is real or just in my head. Either way, it looks pretty cool. You can see pics here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1614246
Old 03-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Sigs
Advanced

Default Air Intake

For those of you who are installing the air intake, are you also re-tunning the car? If not, are you noticing a hestitation and jerking at low RPM's?

I would appreciate any information on what you are doing. Thanks.

Quick Reply: [Z06] which air intake system and why