Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Friday WTF?... Look what SEARS Auto did today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:31 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

You handled that very well. Now get a nice estimate from a good shop, pocket the cash and clean it up as best you can yourself. From now on you don't have to worry about hurting the nose so much since its already been done. Or you could get a Tigershark, if you like.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:02 AM
RedRckC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this Sears next to a CVS pharmacy on Whitney Ranch? I take mine to Henderson Chevrolet and wait for the car no matter how long.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:08 AM
always717
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry for you misfortune. Next time you must use Walmart!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:13 AM
BobbyG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

While I haven't taken my Z06 to my local Sears store I have had them do tires, shocks, belts, batteries etc. and have been pretty much satisfied with their work.

This particular Sears has all drive on 2 post lifts so this sort of damage had to have happened between the parking lot and garage...

You can have a shop look at it but since it's underneath I'd look at cleaning it and give it a couple of good coats of wax to see how much it really shows....
Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 AM
JeepTJ
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by GeorgieMporgie
You took your Vette to Sears?
Old 06-09-2007, 07:27 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Omg
Old 06-09-2007, 07:43 AM
istsme98
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:50 AM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-09-2007, 08:08 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi smdorsey -

Wow - That sucks.

Glad they are willing to help you fix it.

Another reason to do your own oil changes - it's not that bad, particularly when compared to havng your car damaged.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 06-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Secret237
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sears for a repair ??

No, no, only for batteries ... maybe tires, MAYBE.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Rick Radcliffe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you get the admission of responsibility in WRITING. Corporate will turn it over to Allstate, who will promptly do anything they can to weasel out. Get pictures of the damage to the car and the curb.

On a separate note, sometimes the inexperienced techs can do a very good job. They are going to be hourly employees and not tempted to rush through jobs to increase their profit potential. Some of them have never driven a Corvette before and are excited just to have the opportunity to work on such a cool car. They treat it better than they treat their own car (some of them anyway.)

I just got my truck back from a dealership after 6.5 weeks and they couldn't be bothered to reinstall the pipe from the filler neck to the fuel tank. I would have preferred a trainee at that point.

Good luck with your car. Would you like me to send you pictures of the front of mine? It will make you feel much better about yours.

Rad
Old 06-09-2007, 09:27 AM
crmvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 AM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sears, they suck...period. I watched them put new tires on my old Mustang I used to have 10 or so years ago. I saw them strip the hell out of two lugs on the rear tire. I walked out there and pointed to the F-up. The kid quickly changed out all the studs on that wheel for free. I had to stand there and watch him do the rest of the car. How pathetic.

Sears, WalMart, Jiffylube, crap places are only interested in Quantity NOT Quality!!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:15 AM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You left your car at an oil change facility.... and Sears at that!

I personally don't see how you can be upset, you got what I would have expected you to get.

I don't leave any of my cars alone with anyone.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:18 AM
ericrace
Intermediate

SEARS?????

You're killing me Dude!!!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:00 PM
BAD AZZ C5
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by smdorsey
OK... take another sip of my Bombay & Tonic... dip toes in pool... take a deep breath... her goes. So, was having some front end work done on my van at SEARS Auto here in Henderson. Vette needs an oil change so I say... OK might as well get it done at the same time. This particular shop has been great for me when my van needs service. Well... not such a good idea to bring the Vette. Anyway... drop the Vette off and proceed with VERY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS. "Mobil 1, 6.5 quarts, check all fluids call me if any issues. Most importantly, be carefull, the Vette is lowered, absolutely no grease/oil is to get in the interior whatsoever!" Three hours later the phone rings. " Mr. Dorsey, the Vette is too low, can't get it on the rack." I say fine, no problem, will take it back to my lube shop. Pick up both the van and Vette with my daughter and head home. It's late so I make the mistake to not thoroughly look over the Vette before we leave. Get home, my daughter gets out of the Vette and reluctantly says, "Dad, they got oil all over your Lloyds Mat and all over the door panel. OK, not the end of the world but I am still torked. Go in the house and call it a night. This morning, get up and pull the Vette in the driveway, get out to retrieve something in the garage, turn around and WTF!

The nose is chewed up and scraped from one side (radiator skid) to the othe side (radiator skid) with a layer of concrete dust. Quick head down to SEARS with a good idea of what happened. The Vette was left with them yesterday in a parking space that was fronted by a five to six inch curb. When left, it was at least three to four feet away from the curb. I specifically remembered which spot the car was parked in and upon our arrival it was clearly evident that the 18 to 19 year old a$$clown tech had literally driven the entire nose up onto the curb. The curb was scraped, and I **** you not, a chunk of the concrete was busted from the right radiator skid and was laying on the ground. I was stern but controlled and thankfully the service manager was understanding and regretfull and offered to completely fix the damage. Problem though, he sent me to "his repair shop". Honestly, I wouldn't let these dudes paint my toaster. Needless to say, Monday, I will be getting an estimate at my shop. WHEEEW! Ok, I feel somewhat better now. Back to my cocktail and a dip in the pool... IT'S FRIDAY!
Peace.
Stephen
What were you thinking?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the repairs.

Get notified of new replies

To A Friday WTF?... Look what SEARS Auto did today!

Old 06-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Halfway
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Lesson learned. No Sears.
-Halfway!
Old 06-09-2007, 05:38 PM
99Lingenfelter
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I'd say you got off easy. I took mine to sears to have some new tires mounted and balanced, and they lifted it without using pucks. They crunched both rocker panels and both front fenders.

On the brite side, now they are paying to repaint the whole car. So, I ordered a new hood, aci chin spoiler, aci cool scoop rockers, and a new targa top (mine flew off). Everything gets painted for free!

Sears has been very good about making things right so far, and thier insurance company is really easy to work with. Sorry to hear about the damage, and good luck.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:40 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
Sorry to hear about it

I wont even take my ex for a lube job to Sears

Ok, maybe I would
Nouman, you know what I would to with my ex and a lube job is way to nice and Sears for my Vette never

Quick Reply: A Friday WTF?... Look what SEARS Auto did today!