Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telescopic steering wheel won't move

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Nuke MM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worked perfectly, thanks for saving me time and $$$.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:00 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Had the same problem with my Steering Wheel, wouldn't move in or out. I searched the Forum and found this thread, went out today and tried the press in-press out tip a few times, still nothing. By chance I moved the seat back a little just to get more room and the Wheel started working, I guess something under the seat as has been said. I'll check the connections when I get time but at least for now problem fixed, thanks to all for the help!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 PM
williams3324
4th Gear

Default Column and drivers seat

The passenger seat works but the drivers seat and telescopic column do not. If I am reading right, there seems to be a common problem under the drivers seat with wiring of the seat control module. Is that the case???
Old 11-09-2013, 09:51 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by williams3324
The passenger seat works but the drivers seat and telescopic column do not. If I am reading right, there seems to be a common problem under the drivers seat with wiring of the seat control module. Is that the case???
I think there's a common connection under the drivers seat that links the seat and the steering wheel. If I remember correctly, the connector sometimes comes loose from the constant movement of the seat back and forth. Do a search on the forum about this, lots of posts. As I said above, my steering wheel wasn't working and when I moved the seat back and forth a few times, the wheel started working again. I don't use personalized seat settings anymore to minimize seat movement, it stays in the same position when I drive and when exiting the car. Hope this helps...
Old 11-10-2013, 11:27 AM
williams3324
4th Gear

I have found several threads about the drivers power seat and steering wheel not operating because of wiring issues, and I know how to fix mine. My question here is, is there a way to move the seat forward as a temporary solution until I can remove the seat and fix the broken wiring harness???
Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Youngchris
Heel & Toe

Thank You Very, Very much. I have been working on this problem for a few days and was getting nowhere. I read your solution, tried it and it fixed it in about 30 seconds.
Unbelievable. Can't thank you enough!!

Youngchris
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 PM
grsweet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chevyvette1
here you go try this, mine stopped working once before and this took care of it, no problems since

Telescoping Steering Column Calibration

Telescoping Soft Stops

After replacement of the seat control module, it is necessary to program the telescoping soft stops. Each soft stop is a programmable end of travel that is set approximately 1.3 cm (0.5 inch) from the mechanical end of travel. The steering column has a soft stop set at each end of the telescoping in/out movement. The system uses soft stops to prevent wear on the system by ensuring that the steering column movement stops before it reaches its mechanical end of travel in any direction. The soft stops are initially programmed at the factory. The stop positions may be reprogrammed, which is necessary any time the seat control module is replaced, as described in the following procedure.

Telescoping Soft Stop Programming Procedure

1] Turn ignition to ON, leaving the engine off.

2] To set the telescoping in soft stop, press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch at least eight times or until the column moves.

3] Press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch and hold the switch until the column travels all the way in, and continue to hold the switch about a second after motion stops at the mechanical end of travel. The soft stop for the column in position is now set. The seat control module automatically goes back to the normal mode of operation.

4] Repeat steps 2 and 3, using the COLUMN OUT switch, to set the column out position soft stop

this is from Zilla
Which years (C5) have the telescopic steering feature??? Thanks, in advance!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I love this forum, u guys rock. I spend more time here than email or facebook.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:46 PM
grsweet
Intermediate

Default Telescoping Steering Column on all C5s???

here you go try this, mine stopped working once before and this took care of it, no problems since

Telescoping Soft Stops

After replacement of the seat control module, it is necessary to program the telescoping soft stops. Each soft stop is a programmable end of travel that is set approximately 1.3 cm (0.5 inch) from the mechanical end of travel. The steering column has a soft stop set at each end of the telescoping in/out movement. The system uses soft stops to prevent wear on the system by ensuring that the steering column movement stops before it reaches its mechanical end of travel in any direction. The soft stops are initially programmed at the factory. The stop positions may be reprogrammed, which is necessary any time the seat control module is replaced, as described in the following procedure.

2] To set the telescoping in soft stop, press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch at least eight times or until the column moves.

3] Press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch and hold the switch until the column travels all the way in, and continue to hold the switch about a second after motion stops at the mechanical end of travel. The soft stop for the column in position is now set. The seat control module automatically goes back to the normal mode of operation.

4] Repeat steps 2 and 3, using the COLUMN OUT switch, to set the column out position soft stop

this is from Zilla

Is the telescopic feature on all C5s? If not, which years?? Was it "standard equipment" or just an "option"?? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:39 AM
lilmonster
Racer

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla
Thank You!!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:41 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by grsweet
Is the telescopic feature on all C5s? If not, which years?? Was it "standard equipment" or just an "option"?? Thanks!
Option.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:52 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I love this forum, u guys rock. I spend more time here than email or facebook.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:08 PM
abusdriver
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Just recently ran into this problem and was all set to get my local dealer involved when I thought about all the smart dudes/dudettes here in Forumland who might have experienced this same issue and solved the problem. Sure enough, this thread has the answer. I would suggest one small twist to the recommended steps as I tried the procedure described here (telescoping switch 8 times) with no luck. Read a little further about the seat module and tried moving the seat forward and operating the telescoping switch AT THE SAME TIME and THAT did the trick...Thanks Forum Bubbahs!...as has been said before, this forum ROCKS!

Last edited by abusdriver; 03-28-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Just happened today... out of the blue after making a stop while running errands. The column was 100% "in" and wouldn't move. Seat would adjust. Tried the 8x click thing... didn't seem to make a diff -- nothing happened. Then, after 2x-3x off/on, off/on (ignition-motor), it's like it all reset on its own and started working normal.

Weird...
Old 02-26-2016, 01:48 PM
RED LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this weekend I will try this. I was wondering WTH was happening because mine just stopped working too....
Old 02-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I have had to do this twice in a year.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:53 PM
labidus
Advanced

I try this procedure without success...

I got my vette last week, the seat was not moving, so I removed the seat, cleaned up both seats (under). Then just to make sure I have a good control module I switched the R seat with the left... My driver seat was not moving, but I forget that the seat was disconnected and did not check, anyway now the seats move but since the seat is broked, theforward and backward are not working because the metal bracket that turn broken, so I removed all the stuffs and able to move the seat forward/backward with a screw driver and it work very well even if the seat is in the vette.

But since the steering no longer work. when I push the button 8 times nothing append, My guest is the columns cannot move its all way IN. I try the OUT procedure but got the same thing, no sound, nothing move. Any suggestion?

Swapping the modules is a bad idea? Both module are the same.

Thanks in advance

Get notified of new replies

To Telescopic steering wheel won't move

Old 07-07-2016, 08:08 PM
labidus
Advanced

Originally Posted by labidus
I try this procedure without success...

I got my vette last week, the seat was not moving, so I removed the seat, cleaned up both seats (under). Then just to make sure I have a good control module I switched the R seat with the left... My driver seat was not moving, but I forget that the seat was disconnected and did not check, anyway now the seats move but since the seat is broked, theforward and backward are not working because the metal bracket that turn broken, so I removed all the stuffs and able to move the seat forward/backward with a screw driver and it work very well even if the seat is in the vette.

But since the steering no longer work. when I push the button 8 times nothing append, My guest is the columns cannot move its all way IN. I try the OUT procedure but got the same thing, no sound, nothing move. Any suggestion?

Swapping the modules is a bad idea? Both module are the same.

Thanks in advance
Ok I resolved the issue by swiping back the module, sound like the left vs right module are not working well if they are swiped... now my telescopic steering wheel is working!
Old 07-21-2016, 06:09 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My memory seat doesn't hold anther position, checked the connections under the seat than cleared old memory set to new positions beeps twice still nothing!!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Rob1Vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if you can add a telescopic column to another car ?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Telescopic steering wheel won't move