Sponsored by:

Telescopic steering wheel won't move

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:00 PM
nnicholas
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for the soft stop information. This fixed mine and my friends C-5 telescopic steering wheel to start working again. Great find!

Nick
Old 08-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Kevin Maierle
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyvette1
here you go try this, mine stopped working once before and this took care of it, no problems since

Telescoping Steering Column Calibration

Telescoping Soft Stops

After replacement of the seat control module, it is necessary to program the telescoping soft stops. Each soft stop is a programmable end of travel that is set approximately 1.3 cm (0.5 inch) from the mechanical end of travel. The steering column has a soft stop set at each end of the telescoping in/out movement. The system uses soft stops to prevent wear on the system by ensuring that the steering column movement stops before it reaches its mechanical end of travel in any direction. The soft stops are initially programmed at the factory. The stop positions may be reprogrammed, which is necessary any time the seat control module is replaced, as described in the following procedure.

Telescoping Soft Stop Programming Procedure

1] Turn ignition to ON, leaving the engine off.

2] To set the telescoping in soft stop, press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch at least eight times or until the column moves.

3] Press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch and hold the switch until the column travels all the way in, and continue to hold the switch about a second after motion stops at the mechanical end of travel. The soft stop for the column in position is now set. The seat control module automatically goes back to the normal mode of operation.

4] Repeat steps 2 and 3, using the COLUMN OUT switch, to set the column out position soft stop

this is from Zilla
Thanks a ton! Worked like a champ!
Old 11-25-2019, 06:57 PM
bagreenberg
2nd Gear

I read this and thought your solution was crazy talk. I'll be damned it didn't work!!! Only difference is the column started moving on the 7th time I pressed the switch. I don't know how much you saved me --- the Corvette place I take my car was searching for a used mechanism and talking about having to remove the entire dash, etc., etc. Plus, now I'm keeping my 2001 and not having to buy a 2020!!! Yet.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 PM
mrwick01
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Telescoping column

Bought my 2000 several months ago and the telescoping column best guess is I caught it working every once in awhile but now nothing. Did have the drivers seat out to put the seat covers on but did not to any replacement of parts. Tried the soft stop routine and still nothing. I do not hear any clicks or feel any movement. Was getting ready to pull the drivers seat out so I could get under the steering column for a better look. Can not get under there unless I take the seat out. I will check the cables while I am at it and maybe I will find something. Sure would like to get it to work.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:51 PM
bagreenberg
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bagreenberg
I read this and thought your solution was crazy talk. I'll be damned it didn't work!!! Only difference is the column started moving on the 7th time I pressed the switch. I don't know how much you saved me --- the Corvette place I take my car was searching for a used mechanism and talking about having to remove the entire dash, etc., etc. Plus, now I'm keeping my 2001 and not having to buy a 2020!!! Yet.
That's too bad. The soft stop solution worked like a charm for me. Make sure you press the **** a bunch of times; it just suddenly started working for me after about 7 or 8 times.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:58 PM
mrwick01
Instructor

Default Telescoping column

I pressed the in button 7 or 8 times then 10 to15 times with no luck. Turned the key off and back on several times while trying the switch still nothing. Moved the seat back and forth many times while moving the switch and still nothing. I will pull the seat back out and check the wiring to see if anything is broken. Do not remember if the column has ever worked since I took the seat out to swap the seat covers out. I sure was hoping that would fix it been spending a lot of money fixing stuff since I bought the car last November. Had to fix or replace 40 items so far so I hope I am getting near the end.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:09 PM
mrwick01
Instructor

Default Telescoping wheel

Took the seat out did not find anything but did not reseat any of the connectors in the SCM just the ones that I had to remove to take the seat out. Removed the lower knee pad so I could look in the area of the telescoping mechanics. If I compare what I saw to a parts catalog picture it looks like the adapter is missing pn 26052086 I see the actuator and what appears to be a stop bolt in the area where the column should move in and out. The column has worked right after I bought the car but now nothing. I was unable to see the drive motor or the flex cable so I may have to dig a little deeper. Should have reseated the connectors in the SCM. Has anyone actually looked at their car to see if it looks like the pictures in the parts catalog? Any suggestions would be a help.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:27 PM
mrwick01
Instructor

Default Telescoping steering wheel

Found out that if I opened the door and just leaned into the car and operated the in/out switch the steering wheel would work. Got it the car sat down in the seat and the steering column would not move. Repeated this process 4 times and every time I was not in the seat it worked as it should and when I sat down it stopped working. Then I put a small amount of pressure with my had on the seat bottom and the column would work/not work as I took my hand off the seat. Took the seat out and repositioned the SCM so its wring would not be rubbing on the under seat foam support wires.Has worked with no failures ever since.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:20 PM
rob-cyn
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I read where the seat control module caused an issue with this and I just bought a car with aftermarket seats so could that be my issue ? Thanks
Old 08-07-2020, 05:22 PM
USRobo
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Telescoping Steering Column Calibration

Yes, try it.

Telescoping Soft Stops

After replacement of the seat control module, it is necessary to program the telescoping soft stops. Each soft stop is a programmable end of travel that is set approximately 1.3 cm (0.5 inch) from the mechanical end of travel. The steering column has a soft stop set at each end of the telescoping in/out movement. The system uses soft stops to prevent wear on the system by ensuring that the steering column movement stops before it reaches its mechanical end of travel in any direction. The soft stops are initially programmed at the factory. The stop positions may be reprogrammed, which is necessary any time the seat control module is replaced, as described in the following procedure.

2] To set the telescoping in soft stop, press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch at least eight times or until the column moves.

3] Press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch and hold the switch until the column travels all the way in, and continue to hold the switch about a second after motion stops at the mechanical end of travel. The soft stop for the column in position is now set. The seat control module automatically goes back to the normal mode of operation.

4] Repeat steps 2 and 3, using the COLUMN OUT switch, to set the column out position soft stop

Originally Posted by rob-cyn
I know this is an old thread but I read where the seat control module caused an issue with this and I just bought a car with aftermarket seats so could that be my issue ? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
rob-cyn (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 05:31 PM
rob-cyn
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by USRobo
Yes, try it.

Telescoping Soft Stops

Will do thanks
Old 08-07-2020, 06:03 PM
mrwick01
Instructor

Wiring for the telescoping column runs from the column switch down the column under the carpet to the SCM and back under the carpet back to the column switch. It took me several months to figure out what was going on. After I repositioned the BCM the the telescoping has worked with no problems. If you have aftermarket seats are the electronics under the seats similiar to the OEM seats?

Quick Reply: Telescopic steering wheel won't move