Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight gear fix (highly pictorialized)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM
ebatters
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight cycling after fix

Thanks to posts and pics I have the drivers side back together - have not replaced the cover or plugged in the headlights yet. I cranked the assembly down to match the passenger side. Testing - the motor works - but it is cycling up/down 4 times before it stops. What have I missed?
Thanks
Bat
Old 06-15-2012, 02:00 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Very nice work.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:33 PM
ebatters
Advanced

Default RE - cycling headlight

Found the problem - control arm not seaated correctly on the shaft - everything works great. Used Brent Falkner's aluminum wheel kit.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 PM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-15-2012, 03:48 AM
mike5511
Instructor

Just finished the passenger side rebuild. Thank you Patches for your excellent write up! My gear didn't have much wear. Hard to believe that was what was causing all the noise and problems. But everything works like it is supposed to now, so evidently that was the problem. (why don't I get the option of posting a picture????)

Last edited by mike5511; 07-15-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by mike5511
. (why don't I get the option of posting a picture????)
You need to host the pics on a free site like Photobucket. Then post the image links in here. Takes less then 5 mins to upload and paste them.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 PM
tfrankmt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did this some time ago

I did this some time ago apparently before they included the T-bar to hold the cover in place.The original post I followed with installation instructions said not to use the epoxy included with the kit, being of low quality. I used some of the high end JB Weld. Well that didn't hold on one of the covers.
Electronic Pop up: I also still can't get the adjustment down on this. From time to time the headlights lock into the down position. I have to pop the hood and turn the manual **** a turn or two before they will pop up electronically.

Others I have read here had the same problem with the brass gears.

Todd
Old 07-19-2012, 07:49 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by tfrankmt
From time to time the headlights lock into the down position. I have to pop the hood and turn the manual **** a turn or two before they will pop up electronically.
Todd
I have a similar problem, but it's only the right side bucket that is balky. Same solution as Todd, but it's annoying. I also noticed, when using my driver drill to crank the lights up, in the middle of the travel, that the motor seems to get 'loose'. (You can shake it in that position) Is this normal?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 PM
mike5511
Instructor

Originally Posted by JETninja
You need to host the pics on a free site like Photobucket. Then post the image links in here. Takes less then 5 mins to upload and paste them.
Only forum I've been on that you can't upload a pic when making a reply without going to another site! What's up with that?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:50 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

The Search Tool is the best thing to use in this forum. I have the same problem with my passenger side headlight. I know there was a fix for it, but I wanted to get the instructions and photos.

The write up on this is really going to help me next month when I have time to get to this project.

Thanks for the write up and the photos.

kdf
Old 08-03-2012, 04:16 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

I don't believe my problem has anything to do with the gear

Last edited by chasboy; 08-03-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Stupid iPad keyboard
Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
C5PEWTER/CONV
Intermediate

Default Gear wench?

Wonderful write up and pics. My '01 just did the machine gun thing on the drivers side. I called the dealer and they want $375 for the motor and $117 labor. Top Down Solutions wants $44 for the kit plus shipping. Needless to say I'm going to do it myself. If I put the dealer part in it will be the same plastic that failed.

Only one question, how is the center nut that holds the shaft removed, the write up mentions "gear wrench". Will the shaft just keep turning if I don't have a special tool?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Mike
Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the original set from my '01 that needs to be rebuilt, if anyone is interested in them.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

I still have no answer to the "looseness" in the motor when it's not at the end of it's travel.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:49 PM
ronsrods222362
Pro

MD Events Coordinator

This is why this forum is such an amazing asset to C 5 owners. Prior to purchasing mine I spent weeks on here researching all of the quirks associated with the C5. Then I began a file with many of the DIY'S that you guys post here for future reference. I went form knowing almost nothing about the car that dorve home back in late May to being comfortable to perform just about anything that needs to be done, or I want to do, to it.
Thanks.....
Old 08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
mike5511
Instructor

Originally Posted by C5PEWTER/CONV
Wonderful write up and pics. My '01 just did the machine gun thing on the drivers side. I called the dealer and they want $375 for the motor and $117 labor. Top Down Solutions wants $44 for the kit plus shipping. Needless to say I'm going to do it myself. If I put the dealer part in it will be the same plastic that failed.

Only one question, how is the center nut that holds the shaft removed, the write up mentions "gear wrench". Will the shaft just keep turning if I don't have a special tool?

Mike
Just did my passenger side with the same kit. There are no special tools required. I was able to get the motor out without removing the headlight bucket. The job was a little tedious because of the limited space to work in, but fairly simple to do.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Originally Posted by C5PEWTER/CONV

Mike
No special tools are needed like mentioned before. I just used a 1/4" ratchet and socket and was able to get in there without taking the headlight out or cover off. The nut that attaches the shaft to the arm is actually not holding the shaft in place. It's to keep the arm attached to the gear drive. It should not spine unless your gear inside to totally stripped which should not be the case. The cover you need to take off to get to the gear on the actuator is what holds the shaft in place.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight gear fix (highly pictorialized)

Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Manuel DeLeon
Heel & Toe

Awesome post, I just saved some big bucks. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:04 PM
C5PEWTER/CONV
Intermediate

Default Headlight motor re build

Many thanks to PATCHES, his write up and pictures were great and made what could be a tough job far easier.

I just want to add a couple notes that might be helpful in the future.

Stuffing a large rag or small towel under the light and motor assembly in the hollow cavity below will help if you happen to drop a nut or bolt as some of us are prone to doing.

I don't see any reason to disconnect the battery since the whole assembly is out of the circuit once the gray power plug is disconnected. If the battery is disconnected for any period of time pre set codes may go away and have to be re set.

After disconnecting every thing, I found that the headlight assembly could have easily been removed by removing the two Torx-nuts on the top rear (toward the driver) of the assembly shown in picture #5. They have blue Locktite. Of course put fresh Locktite in when reinstalling. The motor shaft nut has to be removed next or before. No need to remove anything from the frame as mentioned in the Top Down Solutions instructions.

This is a good time to check the white plastic motor travel stops for wear. If they show some wear just pull them off and turn them over.

If the motor is loose from the gear assemble it is easily tightened per the instructions.

This is a good time to check the white plastic motor travel stops for wear. If they show some wear just pull them off and turn them over.

Good luck to all.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
DTSVT03
Heel & Toe

subbing for future reference as well. I just purchased my car a couple of weeks ago and the driver side light had the gear and motor replaced before I bought the car. When you turn the lights off the driver side light goes down and then comes back up a few times before finally stopping in a random position.

Quick Reply: Headlight gear fix (highly pictorialized)