Stuck door window - easy fix!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 04:32 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by cuspid
It just worked for me. THANKS
Duck tape masked the world. Hammers and screwdrivers fix it.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:39 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by cuspid
It just worked for me. THANKS
Duck tape masked the world. Hammers and screwdrivers fix it.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:54 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

I bought my 2000 FRC a few days ago and sure enough, the passenger window was not working. I could hear something very lightly clicking inside the door (obviously a relay) but glass would not move. I immediately jumped into diagnosis overdrive, expecting to have to pull the door panel, remove and inspect motor, test for continuity, check fuses, and probably replace the motor. But, I saw this thread, and figured, what's the worst that can happen? As an engineer I had to laugh at the odds of actually banging your fist on something and it magically working again - when does that happen anymore on anything? But, sure enough, while holding down the passenger window lower switch on the driver's door, I leaned over and began whacking the door handle area, from various angles and with various force. COULD NOT BELIEVE IT, it worked! Thanks for this fix, I hope the problem does not come back, since I plan on exercising both windows as often as I can.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:15 AM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

The hammer and screw driver also works on the driver side, Just did it this evening.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:46 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

this was such an easy fix as my window stopped working...took about a minute to fix it..
AWESOME
Old 06-08-2017, 07:26 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great fix on my C5Z. Thank you!!
Old 06-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I used to have an issue with the window sticking. I fixed it by sitting in the passenger seat, holding the window switch in the down position, and slamming the door. It unstuck itself, and the problem has not returned in 11 years.
The following users liked this post:
danny99 (06-01-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 10:51 PM
touring2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Window into fix

You just have to love the corvette community and the inter webs memory. 5 minutes to get my window to go up, with 40%chance of precipitation tomorrow at the Ridge HPDE, this tip just made my 73d birthday. Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by LT1SPUD
My passenger door window became stuck/busted the other day in the up position....push the down button and all i get is a "click" sound coming from the door....i'm thinking "ok, this is going to be a pain to fix"... not so!!!! i relate my woes to a good friend and he says to bring the Vette over to his house and he'll have it fixed in 5 minutes....I'M IN!!!!

Tools required:

1 small pocket screwdriver
1 long necked screwdriver
1 hammer
an assistant (unless you're a three armed mutant)

1st: remove the small cover on the door just down and back of the hand grip with the small screwdriver

cover removed:
Attachment 48178450

next, align long necked screwdriver under the rear hex head bolt as shown:
Attachment 48178451

now, while having the assistant turn the key to the "on" position and then repeatedly pushing the window "down" button, give the big screwdriver a couple of whacks with the hammer......window should roll on down.......

that is all.......
Old 08-23-2020, 10:32 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Just bought a 2003 Z06 and the passenger window wouldn't go down. Just tried the trick posted here and the window works now!
Old 10-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Dantheman69
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Seamoore, Great tip. I just bought a 04 with 13,500 miles on it. Passenger window didn't work. I tried slamming the door and hitting the door panel with my hand. Then I read your post. Tried taping it with no luck then I started to question whether this was going to work. Then I thought what could it hurt if I gave it a couple good wacks. I did and like magic the window came down and started working again.Thank you so much I owe you a beer.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:19 PM
VA Doc
Intermediate

My '01 vert (20 y.o. the end of the month) had the driver side window stuck in the down position. This quick fix worked as so many others have attested to. Thanks to the original poster for the info and pictures.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:21 PM
kraken
1st Gear

Default Thanks

Mine wouldn’t go back up right after I paid the car wash computer. Annoyed the guy behind me as we both had to back out, but he was cool with the free wash.

This fix worked. I only had to give it a fairly gentle love tap with a rubber mallet on the screwdriver.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:50 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 438 Likes on 235 Posts

LMAO...working on an older C5 and noticed the passenger window would not roll down. Checked the fuses, accordion connectors in the door jam, and then did a search on this. Saw this post and and said WTH, asked my wife to accompany me to the driveway, stopped by the tool box to grab a hammer and screw driver...hearing her say, "oh no" and then she held down the button...1 whack..nothing, 2 whacks nothing, whack..whack..whack...window goes down. Had to laugh at my Corvette mechanic skills being updated. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2021, 10:35 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I literally had this same issue about a week ago. I pounded on the top of the glass with my hand (which had worked before) and then with a rubber mallet. Nothing. Saw this post, and tried it. One whack, and it went down. Tried the window again today, and no problems.

I will even go so far as to say, this type of repair work is fun.

Last edited by Michael A; 04-10-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:04 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Thank you again CF!

I drive the 2003 Z about 2-3 times per month for various out of town medical appointments. Drivers window-it no go down! Did a search, tried this a bunch of times and right before getting ready to take off door panel, it worked! Hot Damn! I did this alone by being able to balance the screwdriver under the bolt and on top of the door panel and it stayed in position.
I had twice replaced the motor assemblies in the past. There are a number of great threads here, to include not raising the window up all the way.

Same precautionary measures apply for your headlights-work them every time you get in! I've changed out way too many headlamp motors...
Old 04-29-2022, 05:26 PM
cool555
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Can this method also work if the window is stuck trying to go up? I slammed the door today to get the window "unstuck".
Old 07-25-2022, 01:08 PM
fillphil
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAMOORE
I'm the one that did the fix for LT1SPUD. I don't agree that it's a temporary fix. I last did it on my previous C5, a 99 FRC approx 2 years ago and it is still working. My boss bought it and I see him almost every day. This little trick has never failed for me and I have done it on at least 5 different Vettes. My thoughts are that it quits working because of lack of use. It's always the passenger window, not once the driver's window because it gets used. I'll spend 5 minutes several times before I pay $$$ for new parts and labor. Try it.
Took your advice on my grinding, noisey passenger window. Three whacks with the hammer and NO MORE grinding or noise. Don't know how long it will last but for noe-THANKS!

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck door window - easy fix!!!!

Old 01-12-2024, 08:33 PM
Hunterhutton
1st Gear

Default Driver's side window failure

Originally Posted by GlobalFootPrints
Window Problem & Solution Below

My Problem:
Window (passenger) would roll down but once the movement stopped (either part or fully down) the window would not begin moving again. Slamming door or pounding on door about location of Motor / Door Control Module (as others advised) would occasionally get the window moving again. I could hear a clicking sound coming from the window relay each time I pressed the window up / down button.

My Solution:
Removed door panel, tested voltage to window motor at motor’s connection plug while pressing the window up button and then the window down button. Both measured ~12.7V. To me this meant that the power was making it to the window motor (I could also hear the Relay clicking) and the fact that the motor wasn’t working indicated that the problem existed within the motor. Took the motor apart and cleaned inside but there was almost no carbon from the brushes and everything looked very clean. Reinstalled window motor and Door Control Module and tested it. The window worked 4 times then stopped working again. It was evident I had done something to temporarily fix the problem but it wasn’t permanent. Repeated this process twice more before slowing down and realizing that the Relay was only working part of the time (intermittently). I noticed that when I depressed Window Up button the Relay clicked once and when I released the Window Up button the relay clicked a second time. However when I depressed the Window Down button the Relay clicked once but when I released the Window Down button the Relay did not click the second time. My conclusion was now that the Relay was bad. I again tested the voltage at the window motor connection plug however this time I tested the voltage when the window refused to move up or down. I was surprised to get voltage readings all over the place from 0.3Volts to 6.7V, but never the 12.7Volts I had gotten before (this could explain the intermittent window movement). I also realized that when the Relay did not click the second time upon releasing the Window Down Button the voltage continued flowing to the window motor (although the motor was not moving the window). My assumption now was that the window motor required over 12V to operate. I removed the Door Control Module from the car, and took the circuit board out for a close visual inspection. It was then that I realized that one of the 64 connector pins on the board that connect to the wire harness looked slightly tarnished yellow while all the rest were clean silver in appearance. The specific board pin that was tarnished mated with the Blue Wire that is contained in the Green Socket (harness) that plugged into the Door Control Module. I then disassembled the harness to look closely at the female jack on the blue wire. The female jack on the blue wire appeared clean under a magnifying glass. Using very fine sand paper I sanded the one plug.on the circuit board that was tarnished and then applied a very very light coating of petroleum jelly to ensure a good connection. I reinstalled the Door Control Module and checked the voltage at the motor’s connection plug. I now get a consistent 12.7V and I now hear the relay click once when depressing and a second time when releasing each Window up/down button and the window moves up and down. I don’t know whether this will turn out to be a permanent fix or a half success. It is possible that the tarnishing (yellowing) of the one plug was preventing the required flow of current to start the motor and it would also potentially explain why unplugging it and replugging it in created a short lived temporary fix. I don’t know though if it would explain why the relay did not originally click when releasing the Window Down button.

My Vette:
2002 C5 with ~68,000 miles in Austin, TX.
I may have to try this I replaced the window motor and track to find the switch also didn't work. Ordered a switch and it worked for 3 weeks. I was driving it today for 2 hours and when i got home it refused to budge. I tried pulling up on the window and it worked to get it half way. I also noticed some corosion on the connection to the window switch. Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2024, 09:00 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Crazy that I posted on this thread back in 2007! Good info though and now I have another C5!
The following users liked this post:
Tron Z (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 03:57 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

My driver's window has started randomly misbehaving over the past few weeks. The window drops down approximately one inch and then stops with a clunk. Then it will go back up with no problem. Of course, some times it works just fine.
I'll have to give this a try the next time that it annoys me.

Quick Reply: Stuck door window - easy fix!!!!