Sams Club Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Warnberg

Originally Posted by Angrybob
Sorry for the Double Post.

Wesley Chapel is near Tampa.

Try Hess.

In Florida I find 93 octane everywhere. 92 would be the exception.

Then again I do not know how remote Wesley Chapel is.
Last time I ran Hess fuel my car pinged like crazy, and it was only 92 octane.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 AM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in NJ, if you use Shell.....save a few bucks and get gas at the Super Wawa it's from the same source (same gas at a lower price). Once I found this out, I never went back to Shell. A certain owner of very popular speed shop in Central Jersey, has a relative that owns a Shell station and was upset that Wawa got the same gas and was selling it for less.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:54 AM
tellefan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Sams Club gas, our QT quit selling 93 octane. Our '03 is starting to make a noise in the left bank. We have a Chevy mechanic in our club that everyone raves about, I had him listen to it. He suggested running Techtron and blowing out the carbon. IF that doesn't fix it then it's the dreaded piston slap. So..... I've used Techtron and a few tank fulls of Shell 93 octane. The noise is still there , thank god I have a GMPP. David
Old 07-27-2007, 07:56 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just for everyone's info, Texaco gasoline also has Techron added to it. Your best bet for the most effective additives is Chevron, Texaco and Shell.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 AM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by proracr
Just for everyone's info, Texaco gasoline also has Techron added to it. Your best bet for the most effective additives is Chevron, Texaco and Shell.
That would make sense, I am pretty sure Texaco purchased Chevron a few years back. Good tip thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

I dont know if I would use Sams Gas on the C5. Maybe on the truck! !
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Warnberg
hmmm....I get the HESS stuff all the time here at 54/ Little road in the SC 99 the 02 and my 07...never an issue.....FWIW I used to buy Exxon and my car ran like crap.....a few of the Citgos out here sell 93 also and never a problem in any of the cars either...oh yeah BTW it was 296 out here yesterday....

have you been to the HESS at 54/75?? bought gas there a few times and never a problem either...maybe the station you are buying from just has crap in the tanks
Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 AM
MagneticRed1977
Racer

FYI- All gas, including propane, goes down the same pipeline. Shipments are separated by a wooden plug about 2 ft. long with o'rings around it. In order for gas to have a "Name Brand" it has to have additives and this can be as small as 1 part per million.

Gas is gas- the most important thing is to get it from a station that pumps a lot of it - therefore it is fresh. A real bonus would be filters on the pump hose. If they have filters ask the attendant how often they are changed.

When I worked for Sun Oil we once opened a station that had been closed for over ten years. They just added a additive to the old gas and put new gas in the tank and put filters on the pumps.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by MagneticRed1977
FYI- All gas, including propane, goes down the same pipeline. Shipments are separated by a wooden plug about 2 ft. long with o'rings around it. In order for gas to have a "Name Brand" it has to have additives and this can be as small as 1 part per million.

Gas is gas- the most important thing is to get it from a station that pumps a lot of it - therefore it is fresh. A real bonus would be filters on the pump hose. If they have filters ask the attendant how often they are changed.

When I worked for Sun Oil we once opened a station that had been closed for over ten years. They just added a additive to the old gas and put new gas in the tank and put filters on the pumps.

i'm no ASe certefied mechanic but I'm fairly certain cars won't run well on a 50/50 varnish gas mix.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:20 PM
HillcountryMac
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I filled up my nissan truck at the Sam's in south Austin Texas for 2.69 a gallon reg. I got about 14 miles to the gallon and normally get about 19.I think it is full of etanhol or watered down or both and would NEVER run it in the Vette.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 PM
VetteCrazyRichard
Instructor

Default Techron

Have a friend who worked for S.W. Research. They test all gas additives and privately they said that adding Techron to gas was the best. This friend adds a can of this stuff every two months to his autos and never has a problem. I've started doing the same to my C5 and normally use Texaco or Shell premium. Runs great!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Zedred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Go to Top Tier gas.com, I use Chevron, Shell, or QT who ever has the best price. Also when you get out of Dallas or Collin counties you get away from the Ethanol crap, non-ethanol gas gets better mileage.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by pewter99
hmmm....I get the HESS stuff all the time here at 54/ Little road in the SC 99 the 02 and my 07...never an issue.....FWIW I used to buy Exxon and my car ran like crap.....a few of the Citgos out here sell 93 also and never a problem in any of the cars either...oh yeah BTW it was 296 out here yesterday....

have you been to the HESS at 54/75?? bought gas there a few times and never a problem either...maybe the station you are buying from just has crap in the tanks

Originally Posted by Warnberg

When Hess had 92 Octane last was 1993. Since then it has been 93 octane.

When's the Last time you went there?

Last edited by Daytona Bob; 07-28-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:21 PM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

if gas is gas then why aren't ALL the brands on the top tier list ? I put sam's gas in my cavalier with the Ecotec engine and it ran like a POS. When I went back to a Name Brand all was well. Believe what you want. When I had '90 Cavalier with the old pushrod engine if I put Shell in it the valves would clatter. Changed brands clatter went away. Gas is Gas... ya ok.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:22 PM
lil vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottydog
I'm amused when I hear guys compare one brand gas vs another. Refineries transport their gas in the same pipeline, put in so much in one end, take the same out the other end. It all mixes up and ends up being the same for the same rating. Some companies add an extra bit at the end such as Techron, but gas is gas, as long as it isn't contaminated with water etc.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:43 PM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by silverstreak01
From China like everything else in the store
Old 07-28-2007, 04:02 PM
jan-db
Advanced

Originally Posted by jvette2
What gas do you use in GJ??

Get notified of new replies

To Sams Club Gas

Old 07-29-2007, 07:04 AM
jvette2
Pro

I use a combination of Sam's and Conoco. I know that Conoco gas
is refined in Denver and shipped to GJ by rail and the Sam's gas is
refined in Western Colo.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:11 PM
jan-db
Advanced

Originally Posted by jvette2
I use a combination of Sam's and Conoco. I know that Conoco gas
is refined in Denver and shipped to GJ by rail and the Sam's gas is
refined in Western Colo.
Thanks for the reply. Ive been using Shell but?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Warnberg

Originally Posted by pewter99

That is the HESS I am talking about.... YUCK, car hated it, then I started using the shell station up there.... I had just noticed the Sam's stuff and wondered hummmm, wonder if it's any good.
The day we came over to the Mike Holt memorial, filled up at Sam's to "test it"... got 28.6 mph on the way over and no pinging. On the way back my average dropped to 26.7 mpg (rain, wind, speed increase) but still no pinging

Quick Reply: Sams Club Gas