Sponsored by:

Newbie questions: side air bag, ESC, diff between C5s

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:54 PM
opua
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions: side air bag, ESC, diff between C5s

Newbie here. I am thinking of getting a C5. I now got a 96 Miata and a VW Passat. I wanted something with more power. I also want something with lots of safety feature. I understand that the C5 does not come with side airbags. Is that right?

Also, when did electronic stability control become available and when it became standard? I read 1999, is it standard or available as an option. If an option, what is availability like?

Other than the engine, are there major differences in a base coupe C5 with Z51 package from year to year?

For $20k +/- a couple of grand, what year/mileage of a C5 can I expect? (I did browse the classified ads here.)

If somebody can point me to a site with all these answers or with FAQ on C5, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks. Dave

Last edited by opua; 08-15-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:22 PM
NJAnthony
Racer

FWIW, it depends on how lucky you get, or how patient you are.

I paid 21K for a 2000 Coupe with everything I wanted earlier this year. HUD, M6, Bose, etc... It had 41K miles. This is in the ballpark, I didn't get ripped off, I didn't get a spectacular deal... I just didn't want to wait
Old 08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
ScottJ97
Instructor

Originally Posted by opua
Newbie here. I am thinking of getting a C5. I now got a 96 Miata and a VW Passat. I wanted something with more power. I also want something with lots of safety feature. I understand that the C5 does not come with side airbags. Is that right?

Also, when did electronic stability control become available and when it became standard? I read 1999, is it standard or available as an option. If an option, what is availability like?

Other than the engine, are there major differences in a base coupe C5 with Z51 package from year to year?
Since there hasn't been an overwhelming response here, I'll tell you what little I know and hope it will help.

There was never an option for any extra airbags in the C5. Just the two front.

ESC is known as Active Handling. I don't know when it became standard but I do know that feature was improved at some point. The newer ones work "better," by some definition of better.

Base coupe with Z51: no major differences among the years. 2001 (I think?) saw minor engine upgrades (345 to 350hp) in all models.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:31 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

As mentioned - there were no side airbags available for the C5 from the factory.

Electronic Stability Control - all C5s came standard with Traction Control, and in midyear '98 - option code JL4 Active Handling became available. Here's an interesting article that discusses exactly what it is - click here

In 2002 Second Generation Active Handling was made standard on all C5's. Here is a quote from the press release announcing the 2002 cars:

"All Corvettes have the second-generation Active Handling system as standard equipment. The system features dynamic rear brake proportioning to prevent rear wheel lockup; rear brake stability control to assist the driver in maintaining control under light braking and high acceleration conditions; integral traction control calibrated to allow drivers to experience the vehicle's power and handling while maintaining control over excessive wheelspin. It also has an on/off switch and a "Competitive Mode" which allows the driver to disengage the traction control feature without giving up Active Handling's other benefits."

Regarding the Z51 package - here is a link - click here that compares the available suspension options.

If you are looking to spend around $20K expect to find a 1999 or 2000 coupe with about 50K miles. You might find a 1998 convertible with a little more or similar mileage for that money.

Good luck - hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

No side air bags for the C5 - only front driver and passenger. Active Handling became an option in 1998 (late) and became standard on the 2001 model (per the Corvette Black Book).

For $20K +/- $2K, you should be able to find a decent 2000 with perhaps 50K miles.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:59 AM
opua
Instructor

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
As mentioned - there were no side airbags available for the C5 from the factory.

Electronic Stability Control - all C5s came standard with Traction Control, and in midyear '98 - option code JL4 Active Handling became available. Here's an interesting article that discusses exactly what it is - click here

In 2002 Second Generation Active Handling was made standard on all C5's. Here is a quote from the press release announcing the 2002 cars:

"All Corvettes have the second-generation Active Handling system as standard equipment. The system features dynamic rear brake proportioning to prevent rear wheel lockup; rear brake stability control to assist the driver in maintaining control under light braking and high acceleration conditions; integral traction control calibrated to allow drivers to experience the vehicle's power and handling while maintaining control over excessive wheelspin. It also has an on/off switch and a "Competitive Mode" which allows the driver to disengage the traction control feature without giving up Active Handling's other benefits."

Regarding the Z51 package - here is a link - click here that compares the available suspension options.

If you are looking to spend around $20K expect to find a 1999 or 2000 coupe with about 50K miles. You might find a 1998 convertible with a little more or similar mileage for that money.

Good luck - hope this helps.

Thanks. Those are good links.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie questions: side air bag, ESC, diff between C5s

Quick Reply: Newbie questions: side air bag, ESC, diff between C5s