Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2005 ZO6 Production?

Old 09-01-2007, 01:00 PM
ShoPig
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2005 ZO6 Production?

Was there a ZO6 model made in 2005? If not, anybody know why?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Big Kidd
Burning Brakes

According to the Corvette Action Center website, they did not produce a Z06 in 2005.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/.../2005prod.html
Old 09-01-2007, 01:05 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

There was no '05 ZO6. Probably because they were preparing to introduce the LS7 (and the resultant higher price point) and they wanted to prolong the drama.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:59 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

There was no Z06 for the 2005 Model Year (MY).

My understanding for the one year "hiatus" for the Z06 was due to several issues ....

The primary issue was the Aluminum frame (versus steel for the C5 and non-Z06 C6) for the C6 Z06 took much longer to develop than GM first hoped. The frame is built by Dana Corporation for GM. (See http://www.dana.com/Automotive_Syste...paceframe.aspx for more info) GM specified that the AL frame had to meet the same tolerances as the steel frame, and Dana found that AL reacts very differently to hydro-forming and welding than steel. It apparently took an enormous amount of engineering time to find the "right" manufacturing process so that the AL frame was as rigid as the steel one, met the same tolerances, met crash safety tests, and all while being lighter than the steel frame.

Another issue was the LS7 engine ... it is hand built at a "new" facility in Wixom, MI and is very closely related to the engine used in the C5R and C6R racing program in the ALMS series. (See: http://www.gm.com/explore/technology...nt_profile.jsp for more info). The Wixom facility wasn't ready to produce engines for the 2005 MY as it didn't open until around July of 2005.

Finally, I heard that GM decided to concentrate the first year of the C6 production on the "regular" cars. They didn't want the "distraction" of the Z06 added to the first MY assembly line. The Z06 is built on the same line as every other Corvette, but with a different engine, frame, body panels, brakes and many other differences, GM wanted the Bowling Green plant to settle down to "regular" production before putting the Z06 in the mix.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:00 AM
mr-z
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
There was no '05 ZO6. Probably because they were preparing to introduce the LS7 (and the resultant higher price point) and they wanted to prolong the drama.
There were 7 Z06's produced in 2005, I believe they were just in blue and GM gave them to their high volume dealers. Kerbeck had one of them.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:10 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mr-z
There were 7 Z06's produced in 2005, I believe they were just in blue and GM gave them to their high volume dealers. Kerbeck had one of them.
a few more then that and were test mules. Only those 7 or so remained. non were sold to the public.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:18 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mr-z

Every dealer has a story .... most of us aren't gullible enough to believe them .....

Look at the Bowling Green stats .... NO Z06 production for MY 2005

http://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant...VetteStats.pdf

6,272 Z06 built for MY 2006 ....

Straight from the plant's own web site ....
Old 09-02-2007, 12:17 PM
aldrichc5
Racer

None built in 05 and if they were they were no sold.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:30 PM
aris
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackZ06

Every dealer has a story .... most of us aren't gullible enough to believe them .....

Look at the Bowling Green stats .... NO Z06 production for MY 2005

6,272 Z06 built for MY 2006 ....

Straight from the plant's own web site ....
it's still reasonably possible that a small number were produced out of the bowling green assembly plant as test mules for GM. I highly doubt that the first C6 Z06 EVER produced were the ones in volume at the plant.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Due to the issues with emissions and safety certification, any C6 Z07's (and I am sure that there were some) that would have been built in 05 would have ended up at GM and would have gone to the crusher.

Don't belive ANYTHING that a dealer tells you... This is much like the story of an pre-production 84 that was shown as an 83', (which they didn't make) that was built and eventually disappeared from from the proving ground (it was supposed to be crushed but somehow wasn't) and then somebody tried to sell it, and all he!! broke loose and it ended up being taken back by GM legal and crushed...
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aris
it's still reasonably possible that a small number were produced out of the bowling green assembly plant as test mules for GM. I highly doubt that the first C6 Z06 EVER produced were the ones in volume at the plant.
The test mules are not built at Bowling Green .... from a GM statement ...

Outside the CORVETTE assembly plant in Bowling Green is a white C6. This is a RARE Corvette indeed. GMX245 C6 PROTOTYPE - VIN 1G1YY24U55X7127EX, this early C6 coupe prototype or “test mule” was handcrafted in a GM workshop in Michigan known as the Warren Validation Center. Once assembled it was shipped to the Milford Proving Grounds in March 2003 and put to work.

Test mules serve to prove the thousands of assembled parts for fit and function under real-world driving conditions. Body panels need to be scrutinized for fit, engine components are tested for performance, and computerized electronics are fine tuned in the prototype builds. Everything from glass to fasteners is analyzed and refined into the best possible parts for production.

Now this workhorse has a new assignment. It is used daily by Bowling Green Assembly’s Manufacturing Engineering as a Dedicated Reference Vehicle (DRV).

The DRV is used to audit the Final Line Vehicle Alignment System and is permanently set aside for correlation testing only. It audits the front sum toe, front individual camber, front individual caster, rear sum toe, and rear individual camber for all of the plant’s alignment machines.

Although this car may be a little rough around the edges, it serves an important purpose and allows Bowling Green Assembly to continue to produce its world famous vehicles
Also notice how the VIN is coded ... these vehicles cannot be sold to the public. The 11th digit is the assembly plant ... 5 is the code for Bowling Green ... these cars aren't built there ....

There are a few test cars built early in a production run ... I believe they are referred to as "buckets". They too have a VIN coded so they cannot be sold. After they are used to validate the build process these vehicles remain the property of GM, and either go on to be used in displays at auto shows, or to a museum, or in most cases for most cars, they are crushed and recycled.

Last edited by BlackZ06; 09-02-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

There was no 05 Z06's at all. GM put some last minute goodies in the 04 and held off for the 05 model year to allow media attention help from magazines so they can command the 70000 dollar range plus dealer mark up.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:12 AM
WAY2FAS
Cruising

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
The test mules are not built at Bowling Green .... from a GM statement ...

Also notice how the VIN is coded ... these vehicles cannot be sold to the public. The 11th digit is the assembly plant ... 5 is the code for Bowling Green ... these cars aren't built there ....

There are a few test cars built early in a production run ... I believe they are referred to as "buckets". They too have a VIN coded so they cannot be sold. After they are used to validate the build process these vehicles remain the property of GM, and either go on to be used in displays at auto shows, or to a museum, or in most cases for most cars, they are crushed and recycled.
The early mules usually have problems that need fixed. They are always crushed. No company wants to display a problem car or be proud of it. The successful end product is saved at GM.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:18 PM
iridelow
Safety Car

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Everyone is wrong...according to my research! There were many Z06's made in 2005, but none of them were 05 model years by VIN. So technically, yes they were made in 05, but they were 06 models, so no dealer had a "2005" Z06! Same thing goes for the 83 vette!

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 ZO6 Production?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] 2005 ZO6 Production?