Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] pinging

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Skypilot797
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My order came today. I added 16 ozs. of Toro additive into my tank and have a total of 14 gals. I bought 12 gals of 91 octane, maybe had 2 gals left in the tank.
Went for a drive, no more "ping", rattle, or whatever those sounds were that came around 1500-1600 rpm when I put it under a load. My heads are stage 2.5 and milled to 62 cc's. CR is 10.8 with the gaskets.
The temp was 90 plus. I am just glad it went away. Since we don't have 92 or 93 here where I live, the cost is now problay the same as if I could find 93 somewhere else.
Tomorrow, I go to the dyno, and am hoping we can add some timing back in, as several weeks ago, it pulled timing as the KR was sensing something.
On the C6 board, a new LS3 with this additive and a K&N dynoed pretty good at a well known shop, after they tuned it. I believe it was around 415 rwhp.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:50 PM
rwd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car will definitely ping. It will also knock.

The noisy fuel pump TSB was not specific to the car and also included Suburbans- maybe others. It's not overly helpful. Either search it or check the CAC. There was no guarantee the replacement pump would be quieter. There are also some rf pump noises that are audible over the radio.

There are a number of things that could have happened that might have resulted in your inadvertently getting a lower octane or different formula gas than intended.

The ECU is very good, and the car won't load up at low revs like the old engines, but over time, carbon can still build up and cause ping. On level ground, the car will run smoothly and without harm in sixth gear at lower revs than those mentioned, but never lug the engine in any gear.

I'd suggest running as much gas out of the car as you dare (or while carrying some fuel in a gas can), filling the tank at a different station (or brand) and adding some GM Fuel System cleaner. The p/n used to be 12345515, iirc, but they changed the amount of the container and that may have changed, too. It's more expensive than the Chevron stuff, but it works better. Then, give the car some throttle periodically to aid in cleaning it out.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:44 PM
carnut101
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it stopped doing it after that one time, even in hotter weather. must have been bad gas.

rwd: the engine sees 4-4.5k rpm regularly. is that enough to clear it out?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

One other thing to check is the PCV system...

Quick Reply: [Z06] pinging