Sponsored by:

Clutch/Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:33 AM
mmaynard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clutch/Transmission Fluid Change

I read Rangers post about changing the clutch fluid and I am planning to do this on Saturday. Can anyone post a link on changing the transmission fluid? Are there real adbvantages to switching to RP over stock? Any risk in a newbie changing trans fluid?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:07 AM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

^ Have a really wide pan as it shoots out pretty far. No advantage to Royal purple lots of opinion on this. Even the stock fluid is fine if you change it regularly. I use Amsoil as I do not like to change fluids so often, and they hold up well. Have the car up in the air enough to get at everything. Enjoy!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:35 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I presume you are talking about an automatic transmission...
IF you are draining , you will only get a fraction of the fluid... You need to flush the system to replace all the fluid.
There is a procedure for doing that , but since I have a manual, I do not have it to share....
bump for you...
Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
I presume you are talking about an automatic transmission...
IF you are draining , you will only get a fraction of the fluid... You need to flush the system to replace all the fluid.
There is a procedure for doing that , but since I have a manual, I do not have it to share....
bump for you...
No, he is talking about the ATF in the Manual trans. The owner's manual does not say you have to change it, but people do because it does wear out over time and make shifting harder.

There is a bolt I believe on the top that is an indented bolt, not a standard socket like most other bolts, I think a normal square ratchet fits in there, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, that is the fill point, there is a drain point on the bottom. First drain it out by removing the bottom bolt, I think it is brass colored, and then replace it. You will need a pump to put fluid in the fill hole. I think it only needs 2 qts.

I watched someone do it on an F-body T56 a few times so this is all my recolection of what I saw. I may be foggy on the details but that is basically how you do it.

Make sure you wear safety goggles!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:27 AM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok from this site: http://www.idavette.net/hib/C5diy/c5diy2.htm

"Optional for fifth-gen 'Vettes is the Tremec, T56 six-speed manual transmission. It was derived from an existing gearbox used in the Camaro. GM policy is: no maintenance fluid changes for the C5 manual, however, we believe better durability in a high-performance duty cycle, particularly if the car is raced during summer months, will come with fluid changes at 35,000 miles or sooner, if the fluid begins to turn brown.

Fluid checks are accomplished with the engine off. Remove the transmission fill plug. If the level is even with the plug hole threads or fluid dribbles out, your trans is full. If fluid leaks profusely, it was overfull and you should allow the excess to leak into a drain pan. If the level is below the plug hole threads, add fluid until it's even with the threads.

To drain the fluid, remove the T56's drain plug. When the fluid stops running, replace the drain plug and refill the gearbox through the fill plug hole. Factory-fill in the T56 is Dexron III ATF. Red Line D4 Synthetic ATF is a good performance upgrade. If the car is road raced regularly, the best lubricant may be Red Line MTL. It offers better lubrication at high temperature than does automatic transmission fluid."
Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 AM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

^ The fill hole is where the sensor is. I think 13/16 wrench worked not positive. There is a sticker next to it if it has not cooked off by now. Don
Old 09-14-2007, 12:17 PM
TorchRed00FRC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before draining, first make sure that you can get the fill hole plug out. Otherwise, you'll have an empty transmission and no way to fill it.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch/Transmission Fluid Change

Quick Reply: Clutch/Transmission Fluid Change