Sponsored by:

How To: Replacing the Coolant Overflow Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How To: Replacing the Coolant Overflow Tank

Well, here's another how to for the us, the mechanically inept. There's really not a lot to it but there are a few tips that may save a newbie like me a little headache.

I have owned more clunkers than I care to mention. Because of that, I can walk up to a car and smell what's wrong with it. Thus when I got a whiff of antifreeze while cruzin' the Vette one weekend, I knew I was leaking coolant. The only problem was I couldn't find the leak. I thought since I couldn't see the leak it must be the water pump. Since I found no coolant on the garage floor and I didn't know where the water pump was I just keep popping the hood in hopes that one day, I might see the leak. Well, I finally did and it was the overflow tank. So, thanks to Gene Cully over at GM Parts Warehouse, I got my brand new replacement tank and installed it right away.

Removing the tank was nothing special but for one hitch. There are 3, 10mm nuts that hold the tank on the car. The two on top are obvious. The third one was hiding like a Alabama tick on a hound dog. If I had not had the replacement tank in my hand, I might not have found it. You're going to need a 10mm deep socket and maybe an extension to get to that puppy.

As you can see by the picture, the T-connection is damaged on one side. How that happened is beyond me because I never messed with that area of the car. Once I realized that coolant was leaking there, I tried using an adjustable hose clamp to connect the hose there. My line of thinking was that the stock clamp was just to weak to get a good seal.

That caused coolant to flow like Niagara Falls all over that area of the engine. My rookie-ness never fails to keep me grounded.

Okay, lets take off the tank!

Here are the tools you'll need. A very clean bucket, a racket, 10mm deep socket, and the tool that makes this job a breeze, some flexible hose clamp pliers.

(http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+clamp+pliers).

Now you can use some regular pliers or whatever else you can find to get these hose clamps off the hoses but I'm one who looks for the easiest way to do a job. Having the correct tools for the job makes it a LOT easier. If you follow the link, you can see that they run about $40 bucks. If you look at your engine, you'll see a lot of places that you can use this sweet tool. I spent the $40 bucks after sweating in a O'Riley's parking lot trying to get those darn clamps off with a pair of pliers. I've embraced the fact that I am not a automotive mechanic so I need all the help I can get.

First off, do not remove the tank cap! Second, remove the 3 nuts.

Next, move the 3 hose clamps back away from the hose ends (there are three hoses connected to the tank, thus three clamps). Now here's the important tip: work each hose off of it's connector. As soon as you get one hose off it's connector, put it back on but not all the way, especially the hose on top. Make sure that it is on but very loose. The reason you're doing this is because you want to save as much coolant as possible.

Once all three hoses have been removed and put back on, here's the trick to keep from losing a lot of coolant. Take off one of the bottom hoses (on the T-connector) and plug the T connector with your finger. Next, remove the other bottom hose and plug it with your thumb. The top hose should be very loose, and at this point you can pull the tank out of the car and the top hose should come off by itself. Put the tank in the bucket and then remove the cap. Let your coolant drain.

The reason you left the cap and the top hose connected is to keep the coolant from being able to flow fast once you disconnected the bottom hoses. Just like a gas can, if you don't open that little tab to allow air in the can, the gas won't flow fast or at all. This is the same premise. I figured that little tip out all by my lonesome.

At this point you want to clean that side of the engine of all the coolant you've spilled or that was leaking. Be sure and get any coolant off the paint ASAP.

Now putting the new tank on is a breeze. Connect the bottom hoses first making sure you seat them all the way. Get your clamps in place and then seat the tank in it's proper location. You can now bolt the tank down making sure that you do not over-tighten the nuts. This is not a moving part and does not need a gorilla twist on the nuts. Connect the remaining top hose and the hard part is done.

As you fill up the tank with the coolant you saved, you'll notice something. You can actually see the coolant in the tank! I used flashlights and every kind of trick I could think of while trying to read the level in my old tank but I couldn't see crap. Now, its clear as day! If you buy some new coolant, make sure that it is Dex-Cool as your owner's manual recommends.

That crappy yellow color that the stock tank came in was hard to read but this new tank is nice. I can even see the level from across the engine.

That's pretty much it folks. Go for a drive and check for leaks. Also keep an eye on the temperature. If you did everything right, you will smell no more antifreeze.
The following 3 users liked this post by Junkman2008:
Dave81 (04-27-2019), jdmvette (11-12-2016), kendetiege (04-08-2019)
Old 09-19-2007, 08:23 AM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Excellent
Old 09-19-2007, 09:05 AM
jughead1
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by AC54ME
Excellent
Thanks.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:40 PM
at88mph
Team Owner

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Just did mine today! Thanks for the 'how-to'
Old 07-19-2008, 01:57 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Hey AJ,

Nice to see you posting again

How did you spend you "off CF" time

Last edited by jrprich; 07-19-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:29 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Heck AJ,

You should have dropped some of this on there while you were at it...lol

Nice write up

Peace
Chip

Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jrprich
Hey AJ,

Nice to see you posting again

How did you spend you "off CF" time
Take a look at the date and time of AJ's post - September of 2007.....he's gone to another site. Sorry to break the news.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
mckeen723
Intermediate

He's on Digitalcorvettes.com
Old 07-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Great write-up. Thanks for taking the time to post this up.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:25 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
Take a look at the date and time of AJ's post - September of 2007.....he's gone to another site. Sorry to break the news.

Duh........didn't notice. That white font in the dates is easy for my old eyes to miss
I know he got suspended awhile back for something in OT.
Sorry to see him gone from CF, enjoyed his humor and excellent posts.......

Another loss for the rest of us
Old 07-20-2008, 02:13 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sad to hear he's left. He was really helpful with his "how to" posts. He's just the kind of guy needed on the forum.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:31 PM
happa
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank for the "How too"
Old 07-20-2008, 03:28 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 99blackcoupe
Sad to hear he's left. He was really helpful with his "how to" posts. He's just the kind of guy needed on the forum.
Yep - he's posting these helpful "how-to's" on another site. I am a member of that site, and I've communicated with him there - he's happy. Personally, I didn't like that site very much....the people are certainly appreciative and nice enough - but the knowledge base is here.

We all bash this place from time to time, but trust me - this is still the best Corvette forum of which I am aware. He made a choice, whether I agree with him or not.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Yep - he's posting these helpful "how-to's" on another site. I am a member of that site, and I've communicated with him there - he's happy. Personally, I didn't like that site very much....the people are certainly appreciative and nice enough - but the knowledge base is here.

We all bash this place from time to time, but trust me - this is still the best Corvette forum of which I am aware. He made a choice, whether I agree with him or not.
I am with
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Good job and a nice write up!

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-20-2008, 08:39 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

I have been a member over there for a couple of years, but have only posted a few times........lots of posts seem duplicates of CF and something about the colors used bothers my eyes

But always sorry to lose a helpful CF member........pretty sure he feels he was treated unfairly being suspended and just never came back
Old 07-20-2008, 08:43 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jrprich
I have been a member over there for a couple of years, but have only posted a few times........lots of posts seem duplicates of CF and something about the colors used bothers my eyes

But always sorry to lose a helpful CF member........pretty sure he feels he was treated unfairly being suspended and just never came back
I agree with you, Jim. But imagine what chaos there would be without moderation. I don't want to sound like a brownnose, but the moderators here do a great job as a rule of keeping a lid on things and keeping things pointed in the right direction. It's a thankless volunteer job.

Get notified of new replies

To How To: Replacing the Coolant Overflow Tank

Old 07-20-2008, 11:06 PM
fireman591
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AJ COME BACK!!!

WE MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE CHANGE YOUR MIND!!!!!!

Your pal from the North
Fireman591
Old 07-13-2016, 01:26 PM
idohavemail
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it recommended to replace hoses too while replacing surge tank?
Old 11-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Artizan
Intermediate

I just did the surge tank replacement myself. And if I can do it, anyone can. You def need those extension pliers. My T stem was the culprit. BE AWARE that the plastic from both sides of the T stem will probably be disintegrating and there will be small pieces of plastic within the hoses - probably stuck to the walls. Make sure to get this out as to prevent circulating into the coolant system.

Quick Reply: How To: Replacing the Coolant Overflow Tank