Sponsored by:

Is Marathon gas the same as Speedway?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM
mike348
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
so; do people here believe that each brand (Shell, Chevron, BP, Texaco, ...) all have their own delivery pipeline for refined gasoline?

Or is refined gasoline distributed like the power companies "grid" system???
They all use each others pipelines but all have there own tanks mostly leased at tank farm. If you were Chevron would you sell gas from Billy Bobs refinery at your station? Not everyone is a top tier refinery.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
From the Marathon Refining website....

Marathon retail operations include more than 4,200 Marathon branded stations, with an additional approximately 1,600 outlets owned and operated by Speedway SuperAmerica LLC, a Marathon subsidiary.

that means that Speedway is the Marathon Brand is used at independentor jobber owned sites.l
do you have a Texaco there? I also has Techron in it.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:44 PM
MygreenC5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the same applies here in Tampa. All the trucks pull out of the same refinery at the Port Of Tampa. From what I have been told by many people, all the gas flows out of the same barrel. The companies like Chevron etc. put in there additives while filling the tankers. I use Sam's club gas in my leased Ford Edge. Nothing but the best for my lease car. But my Vette I use Chevron or Hess. Shell is to expensive.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:55 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I've used Marathon 93 since 8/2004 and *never* had any problem. Methinks you're over-thinking things.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:57 PM
blacksofttop
Instructor

I use mainly Speedway fuel, since there are no Chevron, Shell, or Texaco stations in this area. I add a can of Techron every 3 or 4 tanks, and have no problems at all with the Speedway fuel.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 PM
army2000
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I use Shell, Chevron, Speedway, Racetrack, Texaco...whichever one is the cheapest at the moment.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Mean Gene55
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08
Default Top Tier Gasoline

Guys - Here's data copied & pasted from the Top Tier gasoline website ( www.toptiergas.com ):

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

On another webpage is a memo where it states that GM ( for the first time ) recommends Top Tier gasoline for ALL of it's models of cars & trucks.
OK, here's my disclaimer. I'm an engineer ( engi-nerd! ) for Shell so I know the ends & outs of this business. Before ya'll ask - NO, I DON'T get a discount on my gas . I work on the largest producer of oil in the Gulf of Mexico & our production goes into an underground cavern in Port Fourchon, Louisiana. From there it is distributed out to various companies ( like the aforementioned electrical grid ) via pipelines & trucks. It's at the refineries that each companies' proprietary blends of additives are added then the gasoline is ready for the stations. There are also different treatments done to the raw crude to prepare it for consumption; ie, oil w/a higher sulphur content ( "sour" ) requires different steps to make it ready for the consumer than "sweet" crude.
I've also worked on the marketing end of things & I know ( & have witnessed ) gasoline in Shell tankers get put into Texaco station tanks. The catch is that both of these stations were owned by the same local distributer so if there was some gas left in the truck after topping off the tanks at one of his Shell stations then it was dumped into the tanks of his Texaco station across the street. Now I never saw a no-name brand of gas ( also distributed by his company ) put into his Shell or Texaco station tanks but HAVE seen the opposite done ( so someone was getting Top Tier gas w/o knowing or paying the full price for it )!!
I'd stick w/Top Tier gasolines only & be sure to check their websites periodically as they test each company frequently to make sure that they are up to standard. For example, Hess ( used to work for them also :o ) is not on there this year but was one of the first to acheive T/T status when the program was developed years ago.

Gene

Last edited by Mean Gene55; 10-16-2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Add hyperlink
Old 10-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by army2000
From what I understand, all gasoline is refined at the same locations. However, each company "Shell, Chevron, Exxon..etc" puts in their own additives after the refinery process is complete. Maybe someone can elaborate of the reifnement process and distrobution.
You are correct....
Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM
mike348
Burning Brakes

When Shell made the high sulfur gas did all the other brand stations have it? No.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Mean Gene55
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08
Default We Screwed That Up!!

Originally Posted by mike348
When Shell made the high sulfur gas did all the other brand stations have it? No.
Mike - Yep, we dropped the ball on that one but in our defense, that was immediately post-Katrina & our QC ( quality control ) wasn't what it should have been. :o Still, there was no excuse & we made good on the repairs required by those fuel gauges damaged by the excess sulphur.

Gene
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Thanks Mean Gene for the straight skinny from the horses mouth so to speak. Nothing but TT for me thank you very much. I live here in South Jersey with refineries stretching for 40 miles along the Delaware River and have friends in R&D (that's who you sound like to me) and they echo your statements. Blend away!

Quick Reply: Is Marathon gas the same as Speedway?