Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Just ask,someone has an answer,great forum
Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bucwheat
Just ask,someone has an answer,great forum
You can get answers on any forum. Bigger question is whether the answer is accurate This forum seems to do a good job at that and is self policing.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Mean Gene55
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Aviation Fuel

Another thing about Av-gas is that most of it is oxygenated to allow for the thinner air at altitude. I'd stick w/automobile specific fuels like those from VP, Sunoco, et al.
Also stay w/the Top Tier fuels for keeping your injectors & valves clean & deposit free.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

Gee - I wonder WHO I work for??!!

Gene
Old 11-15-2007, 02:26 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by briann510
I have run cheap mom and pop gas station regular in 4 of my vehicles bought new since day 1 (a 99 Dodge 4X4 with 65K, 2001 4X4 Expedition with 62K, 2002 Dodge Neon with 66K and 2005 Toyota 4X4 with 51K). All 4 of those cars run as well today as they did the day I bought them and gas mileage has not wavered any less either. I have never put anything other than 86/87 octane regular in all of them and never had a miss, stumble or anything breakdown related to engine. Not one of them has had anything other than oil changes and air filter replacement done. 3 of our other vehicles see 91 octane premium as they require it for their compression ratios and they of course are all running fine also.

Our 2 race/street cars see leaded racing gas and they run really well.

I buy whatever is the cheapest in town on the cars I own and have never had a problem.
I put LUV's truck stop super unleaded in mine. It was cheap but.... It pinged and rattled like it was on 75 octane! It was bad!!!! sounded like a damn diesel car
Old 11-15-2007, 02:28 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mean Gene55
Another thing about Av-gas is that most of it is oxygenated to allow for the thinner air at altitude. I'd stick w/automobile specific fuels like those from VP, Sunoco, et al.
Also stay w/the Top Tier fuels for keeping your injectors & valves clean & deposit free.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

Gee - I wonder WHO I work for??!!

Gene
most racing fuel is oxygenated ie...alcohol

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html#leaded
Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

My customer owns a Mobil station and he layed down the facts to me. there is no true mid octane such as 89.All stations have mixing valves that mix low and high grade to achieve this grade.When the pump says min 89 octane rating you will not have less then 89 and could be as high as 93.This also goes for 87 were you can go as high as 93.Now 93 will have a min of 93 but can go as high as 96.He tells me its often they test higher then there numbers.No stock vette needs anything but 87 unless tweaked or s/c etc.He is the first to tell you mid grade is a waste of money and his biggestmoney maker.Last thing all Mobil gases have the same additives and detergents.Hope this could help shed some light on this.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Mean Gene55
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08
Default Not Always!

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
My customer owns a Mobil station and he layed down the facts to me. there is no true mid octane such as 89.All stations have mixing valves that mix low and high grade to achieve this grade.When the pump says min 89 octane rating you will not have less then 89 and could be as high as 93.This also goes for 87 were you can go as high as 93.Now 93 will have a min of 93 but can go as high as 96.He tells me its often they test higher then there numbers.No stock vette needs anything but 87 unless tweaked or s/c etc.He is the first to tell you mid grade is a waste of money and his biggestmoney maker.Last thing all Mobil gases have the same additives and detergents.Hope this could help shed some light on this.
Dave - I don't know about Mobil so I'll take your friend's word for that but I've worked for Royal Dutch ( Shell ) for 26 years & we pride ourselves on truth in advertising. Yes, we DID screw up many gas gauges immediately following Hurricane Katrina due to refining problems ( excessive sulphur ) but we covered the repairs. I've been to 2 of our refineries & have personally seen all three blends of gasoline in separate tanks so I'm certain that we ( Shell ) don't mix our 93 & 87 to reach 89. We sell a true 89 ( as U say, minimum ) octane & if U'll notice that many of the magazines use our gasoline in their tests because in the 2 octane tests I recall reading, our 91 ( Cali ) always tested higher than 91 ( generally by .5 - .75 ).
Yes, I've also have worked on the distribution side of the business so I've seen some LOCAL stations do some "not so honest" things but for the most part, what U pay for is what U get.
BTW - all of our gasolines contain detergent additives as well. That's why we have achieved & maintained Top Tier status. Sorry if I'm blowing my company's own horn but I don't see Exxon/Mobil on the current T/T list ( despite their record profits!! ).

Gene

Last edited by Mean Gene55; 11-15-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Sick Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
I can assure you as someone who repairs equipment in stations, there are 3 seperate tanks, and NO mixing equipment, here in ANY station in CA.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sick Z06
I can assure you as someone who repairs equipment in stations, there are 3 seperate tanks, and NO mixing equipment, here in ANY station in CA.
wow! i remember talking to a chevron station owner and i could swear she said they mix the mid grade. Maybe this is different from state to state?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 PM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is wrong with mixing a properly weighted blend of 87 octane and 93 octane at the pump to obtain 89 octane gas? This seems perfectly legitimate to me and, unless I am missing something, having a third tank seems like a waste.

I have made my own octane rating many times by combining properly proportioned amounts of different octane gas. I even recall Sunoco stations back in the 1960s having an octane selector on the pump. You could choose about 5 different grades all the way up to 103 octane. I am certain that they didn't have 5 different gas tanks in the ground.

Last edited by slwhite; 11-16-2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Enhancement
Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default They don't mix to get midgrade

From the API (American Petroleum Institute) ...

Manhole covers to tanks are recommended to be colored according to American Petroleum Institute (API) standards (white - unleaded, blue - midgrade, red - premium, yellow - diesel, brown - kerosene).

From the US Govt site (Energy Information Admin) ..

Midgrade gasoline: Gasoline having an antiknock index, i.e., octane rating, greater than or equal to 88 and less than or equal to 90. Note: Octane requirements may vary by altitude.

Midgrade is blended by the refinery, or by the distribution company ... or in some cases SOME fuel pumps are set up to blend as you fuel .....

http://www.benfordfueling.com/shop/product445.html

Note that the service station is not blending the fuel ahead of time, the pump is set to create the "blend" on the fly.

I suspect these are not allowed in California as the CARB maintains VERY strict standards for gasoline, and probably won't allow blending at the station.

Last edited by BlackZ06; 11-16-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 102 octane racing gas