Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 Headers or Intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Z06 Headers or Intake manifold?

2003 Z06 stock with Halltech Air Intake. Plan on a staged approach to fun 1/4 racing next season. Will run ET streets at the strip. Without internal mods, what is the best/preferred order for mods...specifically headers or intake/throttle body? Nothing needs replacement so that doesn't factor in. Just looking for best gains and not being inneficient with labor. I know breathing is important but don't know the Z06 limiters. Looking to get started with no engine internals - just bolt ons. Any thoughts or suggestions would help!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:40 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I would start with headers. It'll add about 20 hp give or take and shed 20 lbs give or take.

Good luck
Old 11-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spdislife
I would start with headers. It'll add about 20 hp give or take and shed 20 lbs give or take.

Good luck

You can also click on my profile to see what you can get without internal engine modifications.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:10 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

A nice set of LT's will get you a pretty good gain on a fairly stock motor (20-30 rwhp), a FAST 90/90 would be the only intake option thats worth much power and you would not see its full benefits w/o a cam and/or heads.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Blowa-Z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by someone (in the know) that he had not seen really any HP performance gains on a dyno. with aftermarket intake manifolds on Z06 Corvettes. Do, Good Headers! Call Andy @ A&A Corvette. Nice Headers, easy to install, easy access To spark pugs, should last a lifetime.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Blowa-Z
I was told by someone (in the know) that he had not seen really any HP performance gains on a dyno. with aftermarket intake manifolds on Z06 Corvettes. Do, Good Headers! Call Andy @ A&A Corvette. Nice Headers, easy to install, easy access To spark pugs, should last a lifetime.
Charlie at RPM who does most of the tuning for A&A, would not agree with you on that one

I got about 10 rwhp from my fast, which will be better after H/C, but the headers are going to be better for a first mod.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Blowa-Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
Charlie at RPM who does most of the tuning for A&A, would not agree with you on that one

I got about 10 rwhp from my fast, which will be better after H/C, but the headers are going to be better for a first mod.
Just curios, and always willing to learn. But was your intake installed on a bone stock LS6? If so $50.00 a horse, isn't bad, and I stand corrected.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Just curios, and always willing to learn. But was your intake installed on a bone stock LS6? If so $50.00 a horse, isn't bad, and I stand corrected.
My mods are in my profile, I have zero interal work done, the LS6 Block is as it was from the factory. With heads and cam, I'll see even better gains from it.

But I paid $900 for the fast and the $100 for the TB. So it came out to about $100 per HP, but my gains will probably be more like 20-25 with the addition of the heads and cam.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Blowa-Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
My mods are in my profile, I have zero interal work done, the LS6 Block is as it was from the factory. With heads and cam, I'll see even better gains from it.

But I paid $900 for the fast and the $100 for the TB. So it came out to about $100 per HP, but my gains will probably be more like 20-25 with the addition of the heads and cam.
Not to beat a dead horse completely to death, but I'm sure there are many, including I, that have considered an aftermarket intake. My purpose has been more due the fact that my last two LS motors were supercharged and I was concerned about a backfire under high boost, blowing the intake into a million pieces, I was told not to worry, and seven years later hasn't happened yet, knock on wood. That aside, I have heard from several sources that the LS6 intake is a good design and extremely hard to improve on, for a naturally aspirated motor in factory form. I have seen more than a 3% fluctuation in dyno results from pull to pull, morning to afternoon, day to day, etc. I do realize that there was some T/B work also, which is a restriction area. At what RPM did you see the improved HP start, max out and stop? How sure are you of test results, you know humidity,air temp,barometric pressure,engine, drive train and exhaust temp. etc. Honest, not trying to give you a hard time! just trying to get to the bottom of this, especially being intakes have apparently gone up considerably since I last looked, actually, it has been a while since I priced what was available, due to the fact I have been under the belief system, that H/P gains were minimal at best. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Blowa-Z
Advanced

Not to beat a dead horse completely to death, but I'm sure there are many, including I, that have considered an aftermarket intake. My purpose has been more due the fact that my last two LS motors were supercharged and I was concerned about a backfire under high boost, blowing the intake into a million pieces, I was told not to worry, and seven years later hasn't happened yet, knock on wood. That aside, I have heard from several sources that the LS6 intake is a good design and extremely hard to improve on, for a naturally aspirated motor in factory form. I have seen more than a 3% fluctuation in dyno results from pull to pull, morning to afternoon, day to day, etc. I do realize that there was some T/B work also, which is a restriction area. At what RPM did you see the improved HP start, max out and stop? How sure are you of test results, you know humidity,air temp,barometric pressure,engine, drive train and exhaust temp. etc. Honest, not trying to give you a hard time! just trying to get to the bottom of this, especially being intakes have apparently gone up considerably since I last looked, actually, it has been a while since I priced what was available, due to the fact I have been under the belief system, that H/P gains were minimal at best. Thanks.
I do understand the gain from a larger or better flowing throttle body, it's the intake manifold at stock or nearly stock air flow I'm trying to figure out.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

I can tell you that the tuner has tuned hundreds of cars over the last 10 years. I don't have a back to back comparison of intakes, but I can tell you that he hasn't seen another Z06 with these mods, and has yet to see one pull over 400 at my A/F ratio. He believes the intake was good for about 10 rwhp, so I'm going to believe him. My car dynoed 399.4 at full temperature after the run of tuning. We let it cool down for 20 minutes and it pulled 400.9. He runs a load bearing dyno which is much more accurate than a dynojet. This is about all the info I have, he would be much more knowledgable than I, you can contact him at the phone number on my dyno slip if you would like to get some feedback from him.

The intake itself is a Vegeance racing ported 90mm FASt intake, and they can probably also answer some of your questions about the intake differences. They will also have before and after dyno numbers for their FAST versus the ls6. EVERY top running car in the country I have seen that produces the big numbers eventually goes to the FAST intake.

Tony Mamo at AFR heads can also give you some feedback on this intake as he has extensive work with the companies heads and feels passionately about the FAST's superiority over other intakes on the market. These individuals are all WAY MORE informed and have way more experience than I do. All I know is what I run has worked well. I haven't seen another bolt on Z with a 12.8 A/F put down over 400 on a load bearing dyno, even on dynojets they usually barely get over 400.

RPM's dyno according to Charlie will dyno a stock 02-04 Z06 at 338-342 HP, when a dynojet will dyno at 355-360 on an 02-04, so hopefully this will give you some info and contacts so you can make up your own mind, for me it made sense, but it may not to others. After all it is your car.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

my dyno sheet is located in my profile, as far as the power curve goes.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Blowa-Z
Advanced

Thanks! I appreciate your time,Patience & contact information. I'll check it out. Have a great day!

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Headers or Intake manifold?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Headers or Intake manifold?