Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Light Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:50 PM
truble
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn Signal Light Bulb Replacement

Need to replace the turn signal bulb for the right front of my 2004 C5. Any "tips" to make this an easy job? Thanks for your help
Old 02-03-2008, 02:19 PM
taz03
Racer

the easiest way i think is to remove the black plastic surround on the headlight. then reach your hand in thru there and socket is right there below headlight.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:23 PM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

Default light

I just did this for the first time, very easy,
1) pop up light and turn off 1 click to keep light up and light off.
2) with hood open, unscrew hood adjustment screw so your hand can fit
3) take off shroud off light, 3 screws, be careful, 1 fell but I found it.
4) reach in and replace bulb.
5) reverse order.

good luck.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:33 PM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

oh yeah, and I kept the motor running so the light wouldn't time out and shut off on me.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by taz03
the easiest way i think is to remove the black plastic surround on the headlight. then reach your hand in thru there and socket is right there below headlight.
this only work if you have skinny arms.

I took the panel off from underneath the car to access the bulb
Old 02-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a Tiger Shark and couldn't get to it from the top or bottom. Sooooooo....I made the wiring long enough to reach clear to my bedroom from the garage. No longer an issue now!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Zilla
this only work if you have skinny arms.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Zilla
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 PM
jss812
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You guys know that you can manually raise the headlight without having to worry about it closing itself, right? I usually remove the two screws on the inside of surround with the hood up and headlight down, then raise the headlight and remove the third, outside screw. You can get a straighter shot at the two inside screws with the headlight down.

I remove the panel underneath to get at the corner lights.
The following 2 users liked this post by jss812:
BKbroiler (08-02-2020), JimHarris4 (08-11-2020)
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Unscrew the hood stop with the lights raised stick your arm down the front. Remove the locking plastic thing by turning it a quarter turn. Push the brake duct down and fish out the wiring through the hole. change the bulb. the just reverse the steps. No tools required all done by feel.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

With the stock fascia, I could reach in through the brake duct opening and pull the light out that way. I can't do that with the Tiger Shark, plus I have grills in the way now. Also, you can't get both of your hand into the cavity in order to pull the bulb out of the socket. That why I extended my wiring.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Mixxit
Melting Slicks

Keep in might that the bulb points up (toward the hood) not out (toward the front of the car).

I actually go in through the top, like others have said. Once I remove the light from the housing, I push it down through the front air duct. It's easier to change the bulb that way, rather than trying to change it when it's stuffed down there in the well. I change the bulb, then reach back in from the top and re-insert it into the housing. Takes about 4 minutes. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Go through the access panel below!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:54 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EBvette02
oh yeah, and I kept the motor running so the light wouldn't time out and shut off on me.

I made the mistake of forgetting the headlight doors would close after about 15 min or so.... had my arm jammed down in there pretty good, then out of nowhere, it felt like an alligator just slammed his jaws shut around my arm. I can tell you firsthand that is NOT something you want to have happen! It hurts like crazy and if nobody is within yelling distance to come help, you have to reach around somehow, anyhow, very quickly... and manually lift (unscrew the motor drive gear) to get the housing off your forearm because your arm is stuck with no way to get it out. It pinches and hurts like hell. Trust me on that one!

That's one I'll not forget to do again! Manually crank it up in the first place!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:10 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mixxit
Keep in might that the bulb points up (toward the hood) not out (toward the front of the car).

I actually go in through the top, like others have said. Once I remove the light from the housing, I push it down through the front air duct. It's easier to change the bulb that way, rather than trying to change it when it's stuffed down there in the well. I change the bulb, then reach back in from the top and re-insert it into the housing. Takes about 4 minutes. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As mentioned there are three options

Go in through the brake ducts - not easy with a Z06 or if you have screens

Go in through the bottom by taking out the bottom panel

The one that works for me is:

Turn on the headlights and back off one position to kill the lights.
Unscrew the 3 small screws on the black plastic housing around the headlight. Gently pull the housing clear. Reach down around the headlight unit and release the bulb holder. It unscrews counter clockwise but it has a plastic clip which you need to squeeze to release it. Here’s how the bulb fits into the lamp unit. The DRL bulb is the lower one.

Here’s the light socket. This one’s after market but it gives you the idea. You can see the clip you need to squeeze.

Change the bulb. Reseat the bulb holder and turn until it clicks back in place. Put the plastic housing back in place making sure to locate the small plastic tab in the bracket on the headlamp cover. Replace the 3 screws and close the lights.

10 minute job. Some guys have had the lights close if they’ve taken a while to do the fix. If you’re worried about that, disconnect the battery once the lights are up.

The bulb is a 4157NA

Some guys with big arms remove the hood adjusting screw for better access. Guys with even bigger arms have had to take off the headlight cover. Four torx screws (2 back, 1 each side). Take the back ones off first with the lamps down. Raise the lights and take the side ones out.

Last edited by DeeGee; 05-13-2008 at 01:17 AM. Reason: For clarity
The following users liked this post:
black match box (12-21-2015)
Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM
jmc12
Team Owner

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
I've got a Tiger Shark and couldn't get to it from the top or bottom. Sooooooo....I made the wiring long enough to reach clear to my bedroom from the garage. No longer an issue now!

Junkman you sure wear funny shoes...

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Signal Light Bulb Replacement

Old 02-04-2008, 03:32 PM
lil vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diyguy
I made the mistake of forgetting the headlight doors would close after about 15 min or so.... had my arm jammed down in there pretty good, then out of nowhere, it felt like an alligator just slammed his jaws shut around my arm. I can tell you firsthand that is NOT something you want to have happen! It hurts like crazy and if nobody is within yelling distance to come help, you have to reach around somehow, anyhow, very quickly... and manually lift (unscrew the motor drive gear) to get the housing off your forearm because your arm is stuck with no way to get it out. It pinches and hurts like hell. Trust me on that one!

That's one I'll not forget to do again! Manually crank it up in the first place!
Are you saying, someone may forget once, (doors can close automatically) but not twice?
Did that aligator have teeth?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by diyguy

...and this is why I ALWAYS unplug the motor harness! No way for it to clamp shut then!

Originally Posted by jmc12
Junkman you sure wear funny shoes...

That's my sexy assistant. Its hard to work on a car when she's around, really hard.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 PM
redrider
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

There is an access panel to the light underneath there for a reason. Just drive the car up on some ramps and you can scoot under the front with a light and take your time without loosing a body part in an air duct or headlight housing. Bonus is you can also clean the crap out of your radiator intake while you are under there.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Light Bulb Replacement