Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to maintain/repair a C5 versus Porsche Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

(Speaking as someone who recently switched from 2000 Boxster S to 2004 C5 coupe...)

Google "Porsche IMS failure". Much of it is hysteria, with no way to tell how much because the number of engines fixed/replaced under warranty is a secret Porsche guards like nuclear launch codes. But it does happen often enough that there's a mini-cottage-industry of aftermarket "fixes" built up around it. And when it does happen, it's almost always bad enough to effectively total the car, as in more $$$ to fix than a typical used Boxster is worth.

Not to mention that the normal maintenance costs of any Porsche are bad enough to make a joke out of the so-called "Corvette Tax".
Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quantum
I agree, my wife also drives an A6 2.7t.

The dealer (a Porsche/Audi dealer) wanted $1200.00 just to do a brake job. The timing belt and water pump will be about $2000.00.

The stock front pads and rotors cost $350.00 just for the parts. I shopped around for aftermarket parts, and your only other choice is parts made in China

But there is nothing like the sound and feel of the Boxster S, it is a fantastic car.

I test drove a few but could not find a 1-2 year old low mileage car, so I ended up buying the Corvette and have been very happy ever since.

buy the vette
Old 09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I have many friends on this forum with over 400,000 miles on their C5
a Porsche boxter wont see half of that. Maintenance is so low on this car tis almost non existent. 100,000 miles between plug changes, and of course oil changes. While things can break with any car, I take my chances with the cost of GM parts over German parts any day.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Homeboy981
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys ARE hilarious! LMAO That part is true!

The P-Car people are a bit more 'stuffy'

I represent the IMS failure being a serious issue. That is why my Box is a giant paperweight now…except more paper is still owed on it.

Exactly why I was curious about marrying BOTH WORLDS by putting YOUR ENGINE in my CHASIS! It would be a rocket! Fast & Loud!

A conversion for $10 grand - OR - A decent mileage C5 is around $15k…I don't know about getting 400k miles!?! Most people are going to "drive them like they stole them" like Porsche owners. And I know a couple people who have actually gotten 200k+ miles out of their Boxsters. It is rare but rarer still is a Boxster with a Corvette engine!

My Box is at 68,000 and NOT COUNTING…unless I fix it!

Sooo….the question is - which horse to ride?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeboy981
I represent the IMS failure being a serious issue. That is why my Box is a giant paperweight now…except more paper is still owed on it.
[snip]
A conversion for $10 grand - OR - A decent mileage C5 is around $15k…
[snip]
Sooo….the question is - which horse to ride?
I spent a decent amount of time (too much, really) thinking about what I would do if I ended up in your situation, and decided I didn't need that kind of drama in my life, especially since it was my only car rather than a weekend toy. Cars randomly bricking themselves is not my idea of a good time.

That said, the most palatable solution I could come up with involved parting out the Porsche: the transmission (Tiptronic in my case), wheels, seats and interior trim bits, electronic modules, etc are worth quite a bit in any kind of decent shape. Wouldn't be surprised to find that it pays off the Porsche and covers any difference between the conversion and a C5.

And personally, that conversion sounds too much like trading one set of problems for another. Electric water and power-steering pumps?!? (The loss of legroom would be a deal-breaker for me in any case: it was another of my reasons for switching.)

Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 09-12-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Cost to maintain/repair a C5 versus Porsche Boxster S