C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to eliminate brake dust?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Toms2001PewterC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Delco ceramic pads when I got my new chrome wheels and it reduced the dust by quite a bit although it did not eliminate it. I do not see a loss of stopping power either. Cost was $175.00 and I installed them myself. Great time to paint the calipers also.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Zilla
No squealing noise when braking for me
Low, Low dust and quiet
Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 AM
mtm87tx
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im about to order to hawk ceramic pads myself
Old 03-01-2008, 12:29 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brake Dust Shields

Hi, I used "Kleen Wheel Brake Dust Shields" on my Mustang GT . I put them on when I bought the car in 89, and they kept the wheels as brand new for 17 years. Not a drop of brake dust. They absolutely work as described. I never experienced any heat problems from them, as they have slots in them to direct the airflow over the pads but not the other diriction. The only downside is that you cannot see the disc and calipers as it comes from the factory. They are super light weight aluminum and are painted Matte Black, so you can paint them any color you want or leave them black if that is your preference.
They work, and they come in the vette sizes. Installation is easy, you just remove the wheel and press them in from the back, bolt the wheel back on and done. For street cars I can't see a problem.
Good Luck
Old 03-01-2008, 01:35 PM
mechanix19
Racer

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Raybestos Quiet Stops.
I have had these on my car for a few years now and theres still plenty of pad left. Huge difference in dust and no noise.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:49 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
Wash them before first use and apply two coats of Rejex...
I layered on 4 coats of Rejex on my wheels before I installed them. Now the brake dust comes off with a hose
Old 03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Here is the real question

the harder the brake pad compound, the less dust. WE did a study of BMW's brake pads together with their system. BMW is the world leader in brake safety and design... they have the best numbers on stopping in cold stop ( Panic stops ). BMW's brakes are the dirtiest brake pads and last the least amount of time but they will save your life.. AT GM we wanted the best compromise between stopping and longevity. Thats why we chose the ACdelco pads that came with the car. They dust, thats a good thing, because that dust is what is keeping your pads from fading. Now add some hardness and you get less braking, but it makes those who cry about brake dust happy...
Now here is the scenario.. Your on the supper highway safely behind a Panel truck your cruising comfortably at 70 mph and the panel truck and you go around a slight turn in the highway and all of a sudden the truck swerves into the next lane, and 120 ft ahead is a complete standstill, you hit the bakes and the abs works and you stop 5 ft before you slam into the stopped cars... Now add dustless or less dustless pads, or worse yet you add ceramics which require some heat up to give full stopping power.. all of a sudden your bake stopping power is decrease by 15 % this add 20 ft to the above scenario putting you about 15 feet into the stopped cars. These dust free brakes will stop your car and you wont notice any difference in stopping power under nominal driving conditions. But you may only get one chance in life to do a successful Panic stop.. the other scenario I mention is a deer in the road.. you have two choices swerve to avoid the deer, but statistics show that swerving is usually fatal, because the situation usually occur on a highway with cars on other lanes, and its these cars that will kill you, your much better off trying to stop. MY point to this, is do you want to risk your life because your too lazy to wipe down your wheels... I would always want to get the softest most stoppable pads I can find, and the original AC Delco pads are my choice only because of the data... the ceramics are GM's answer to high brake dust on these cars, not quite as good as the originals but a compromise. Next time you're next too a BMW, take a look at their wheels, they are driving one of the safest cars on the road, with the best stopping ability. Your Corvette comes from the factory as a close rival to the BMW system. Its a shame that so many people want to change things for the sake of change. IN this case, a change for the worse.. Bakes are designed to stop your car, as quickly and as safely as possible, without regard for their cleanliness. I wont debate this or respond again in this thread, if you have any questions PM me.
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 03-01-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:47 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
the harder the brake pad compound, the less dust. WE did a study of BMW's brake pads together with their system. BMW is the world leader in brake safety and design... they have the best numbers on stopping in cold stop ( Panic stops ). BMW's brakes are the dirtiest brake pads and last the least amount of time but they will save your life.. AT GM we wanted the best compromise between stopping and longevity. Thats why we chose the ACdelco pads that came with the car. They dust, thats a good thing, because that dust is what is keeping your pads from fading. Now add some hardness and you get less braking, but it makes those who cry about brake dust happy...
Now here is the scenario.. Your on the supper highway safely behind a Panel truck your cruising comfortably at 70 mph and the panel truck and you go around a slight turn in the highway and all of a sudden the truck swerves into the next lane, and 120 ft ahead is a complete standstill, you hit the bakes and the abs works and you stop 5 ft before you slam into the stopped cars... Now add dustless or less dustless pads, or worse yet you add ceramics which require some heat up to give full stopping power.. all of a sudden your bake stopping power is decrease by 15 % this add 20 ft to the above scenario putting you about 15 feet into the stopped cars. These dust free brakes will stop your car and you wont notice any difference in stopping power under nominal driving conditions. But you may only get one chance in life to do a successful Panic stop.. the other scenario I mention is a deer in the road.. you have two choices swerve to avoid the deer, but statistics show that swerving is usually fatal, because the situation usually occur on a highway with cars on other lanes, and its these cars that will kill you, your much better off trying to stop. MY point to this, is do you want to risk your life because your too lazy to wipe down your wheels... I would always want to get the softest most stoppable pads I can find, and the original AC Delco pads are my choice only because of the data... the ceramics are GM's answer to high brake dust on these cars, not quite as good as the originals but a compromise. Next time you're next too a BMW, take a look at their wheels, they are driving one of the safest cars on the road, with the best stopping ability. Your Corvette comes from the factory as a close rival to the BMW system. Its a shame that so many people want to change things for the sake of change. IN this case, a change for the worse.. Bakes are designed to stop your car, as quickly and as safely as possible, without regard for their cleanliness. I wont debate this or respond again in this thread, if you have any questions PM me.
Bill aka ET
Nicely said. Safety vs dust, your choice.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:57 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moserbe
Nicely said. Safety vs dust, your choice.
I see a run on people selling their used ceramic pads in the parts section in the near future.

Great explanation Evil-Twin

Last edited by stormrider; 03-03-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,218 Likes on 13,928 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by rws.1
Wash them before first use and apply two coats of Rejex... that coupled with ceramic brakes and all you will need is to wash them with a good car wash soap like Meguiars NXT soap.
And congrats on getting a set of CCWs - they are awesome wheels.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 4 ME
Low, Low dust and quiet
Me too
Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM
2vettes2go
Pro

don'ttop any more.....ha ha
Old 03-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Wayne's World
Racer

Hey Evil T great post! Chock full of info. I myself never considered the loss of stopping distance. Who Knew?
Now we all know.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 03:45 PM
JUS 1 MO
Instructor

Bill aka ET
Great information. Thanks....
Old 03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Brakes are for STOPPING not Shining the wheels

Originally Posted by nj02vette
As others stated, ceramics will do the trick. Problem with them is they start to fade baaaaddddd after a few hard stops. For most street driving, they should be fine, but some have reported issues in heavy traffic where heated up, they just don't stop as good.

Personally, I perfer the brakes to stop the car. I can wash brake dust off. I can't repair body work or re-incarnate myself.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, at least with the ceramic pads, your wheels will be clean as you slam in to whatever it is
Old 03-09-2008, 11:21 AM
waterzap
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

the harder the brake pad compound, the less dust. WE did a study of BMW's brake pads together with their system. BMW is the world leader in brake safety and design... they have the best numbers on stopping in cold stop Bill aka ET
The more I read ET's posts, the more I realize how well thought out and built this car really is. Love my vette, even with all the little quirks.

Get notified of new replies

To How to eliminate brake dust?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:39 PM
BenC5
Drifting

Glad I just got a new set of AC Delco OEM's installed.

I'd rather be able to stop and wash my wheels when they get dirty.

I know, I dug up an old thread as I was doing a search on new rear brake pads, but E-T sure as heck speaks the truth and makes perfect sense.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 PM
laurelboy
Racer

St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks for clarifying ET. Hey, Corvette compared to BMW. Not bad!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:32 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yep, ceramic pads will help. I use Raybestos Quiet Stops.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to eliminate brake dust?