How to eliminate brake dust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
rdwiv
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good info as always - great to see you post

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
the harder the brake pad compound, the less dust. WE did a study of BMW's brake pads together with their system. BMW is the world leader in brake safety and design... they have the best numbers on stopping in cold stop ( Panic stops ). BMW's brakes are the dirtiest brake pads and last the least amount of time but they will save your life.. AT GM we wanted the best compromise between stopping and longevity. Thats why we chose the ACdelco pads that came with the car. They dust, thats a good thing, because that dust is what is keeping your pads from fading. Now add some hardness and you get less braking, but it makes those who cry about brake dust happy...
Now here is the scenario.. Your on the supper highway safely behind a Panel truck your cruising comfortably at 70 mph and the panel truck and you go around a slight turn in the highway and all of a sudden the truck swerves into the next lane, and 120 ft ahead is a complete standstill, you hit the bakes and the abs works and you stop 5 ft before you slam into the stopped cars... Now add dustless or less dustless pads, or worse yet you add ceramics which require some heat up to give full stopping power.. all of a sudden your bake stopping power is decrease by 15 % this add 20 ft to the above scenario putting you about 15 feet into the stopped cars. These dust free brakes will stop your car and you wont notice any difference in stopping power under nominal driving conditions. But you may only get one chance in life to do a successful Panic stop.. the other scenario I mention is a deer in the road.. you have two choices swerve to avoid the deer, but statistics show that swerving is usually fatal, because the situation usually occur on a highway with cars on other lanes, and its these cars that will kill you, your much better off trying to stop. MY point to this, is do you want to risk your life because your too lazy to wipe down your wheels... I would always want to get the softest most stoppable pads I can find, and the original AC Delco pads are my choice only because of the data... the ceramics are GM's answer to high brake dust on these cars, not quite as good as the originals but a compromise. Next time you're next too a BMW, take a look at their wheels, they are driving one of the safest cars on the road, with the best stopping ability. Your Corvette comes from the factory as a close rival to the BMW system. Its a shame that so many people want to change things for the sake of change. IN this case, a change for the worse.. Bakes are designed to stop your car, as quickly and as safely as possible, without regard for their cleanliness. I wont debate this or respond again in this thread, if you have any questions PM me.
Bill aka ET
Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
the harder the brake pad compound, the less dust. WE did a study of BMW's brake pads together with their system. BMW is the world leader in brake safety and design... they have the best numbers on stopping in cold stop ( Panic stops ). BMW's brakes are the dirtiest brake pads and last the least amount of time but they will save your life.. AT GM we wanted the best compromise between stopping and longevity. Thats why we chose the ACdelco pads that came with the car. They dust, thats a good thing, because that dust is what is keeping your pads from fading. Now add some hardness and you get less braking, but it makes those who cry about brake dust happy...
Now here is the scenario.. Your on the supper highway safely behind a Panel truck your cruising comfortably at 70 mph and the panel truck and you go around a slight turn in the highway and all of a sudden the truck swerves into the next lane, and 120 ft ahead is a complete standstill, you hit the bakes and the abs works and you stop 5 ft before you slam into the stopped cars... Now add dustless or less dustless pads, or worse yet you add ceramics which require some heat up to give full stopping power.. all of a sudden your bake stopping power is decrease by 15 % this add 20 ft to the above scenario putting you about 15 feet into the stopped cars. These dust free brakes will stop your car and you wont notice any difference in stopping power under nominal driving conditions. But you may only get one chance in life to do a successful Panic stop.. the other scenario I mention is a deer in the road.. you have two choices swerve to avoid the deer, but statistics show that swerving is usually fatal, because the situation usually occur on a highway with cars on other lanes, and its these cars that will kill you, your much better off trying to stop. MY point to this, is do you want to risk your life because your too lazy to wipe down your wheels... I would always want to get the softest most stoppable pads I can find, and the original AC Delco pads are my choice only because of the data... the ceramics are GM's answer to high brake dust on these cars, not quite as good as the originals but a compromise. Next time you're next too a BMW, take a look at their wheels, they are driving one of the safest cars on the road, with the best stopping ability. Your Corvette comes from the factory as a close rival to the BMW system. Its a shame that so many people want to change things for the sake of change. IN this case, a change for the worse.. Bakes are designed to stop your car, as quickly and as safely as possible, without regard for their cleanliness. I wont debate this or respond again in this thread, if you have any questions PM me.
Bill aka ET

My wife and I also own an 05 BMW X5 4.4 and I have to say that the brakes on this heavy SUV are incredible. No fade whatsoever under heavy braking and the braking power is consistent throuout the pad life and yes the brake dust is signifigant but it stops on a dime. We have about 42K on it now and is due for pads and rotors in about 5K or so and although I can get aftermarket rotors and pads for a lot less than genuine BMW parts, but I will glady pay the extra $$ for the BMW parts. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing when my wife and kid are in the BMW that it is as safe as can be and the brakes are the difference between getting into a crash or avoiding one period. I also feel the same about my Vette, I've had my share of close calls that the difference between crashing or not have always been the brakes and the stock system has never let me down. Yeah the brake dust is a pain to clean and they get dirty pretty quick, but my safety and my cars safety are too important.

Last edited by Vettmann17; 03-03-2011 at 06:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Doccleancut (12-26-2015)
Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 AM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Brakes are for STOPPING not for BLING

Originally Posted by nj02vette
As others stated, ceramics will do the trick. Problem with them is they start to fade baaaaddddd after a few hard stops. For most street driving, they should be fine, but some have reported issues in heavy traffic where heated up, they just don't stop as good.

Personally, I perfer the brakes to stop the car. I can wash brake dust off. I can't repair body work or re-incarnate myself.

Use my brakes for stopping the car. If you don't want any dust at all on any part of your car buy a plastic bubble and put the car in it. Won't have to worry about brake dust or any other dust.

When some MORON jumped in front of me on the expressway my SEMI METALLIC brakes STOPPED THE CAR.... JUST . If I had ceramics I would not have visible brake dust but might have a $5000 front end collision.
Your choice.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you want to cut your brakes dust and keep the performance, take a look at the Carbotech 1521. This pad performs as good as stock if not better. You can do a search and see all the feed back on them.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

Front $144 Rear $124
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
The following users liked this post:
Doccleancut (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Doccleancut
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Dust

Ceramic pads will reduce GREATLY brake dust, and the dust there is will be lighter in color. As long as you don't track your car, you will be okay.

Why is NOT okay to track your care with ceramics? I have been considering them as well due to the excessive brake dust and squeeking.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Doccleancut
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Doccleancut
Ceramic pads will reduce GREATLY brake dust, and the dust there is will be lighter in color. As long as you don't track your car, you will be okay.

Why is NOT okay to track your care with ceramics? I have been considering them as well due to the excessive brake dust and squeeking.

Never mind...after reading all the way through this thread...totally understand now. Thanks everyone for the great answers here.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Doccleancut
Never mind...after reading all the way through this thread...totally understand now. Thanks everyone for the great answers here.
Do you plan on tracking the car?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:15 AM
Doccleancut
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Do you plan on tracking the car?
Not anytime soon, but Eventually I would like to take a few turns on a track. I understand the braking issue more fully now with the ceramics.

Quick Reply: How to eliminate brake dust?