Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Yep....Miss his input
Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 PM
2003 electronblue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZEEEEOOOOSIC
SUPERB JOB JUNKMAN quite educational and very entertaining as well, as always a joy to read your posts
great job! i had that problem and it took the gm dealership expert 4 times to get it right he even replaced the axle!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 PM
2000lambovette
Drifting

Another great write up. I subscibed to this one too. I have not had a leak yet but if I do this will help.
Thanks Junkman
Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 AM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome write up Junkman.

On the hex key + vice grips thing -- if you have a box end wrench that matches the size of the hex key, you can slide the wrench on the hex key and apply torque to the wrench as if it were a nut. It's best to keep the box end as close to the fastener you are trying to break free as possible.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:19 AM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Junk man, you're awesome. Lol, loved the pizza part.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM
knyght4
Drifting

I'm going to save this page when I get home. This post is just a reminder for me later on.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

Location: Ok! So you don't believe in conspiracies, but will you acknowledge the possibility of there being coordinated activities in secret places? Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saved
Old 06-08-2011, 06:13 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Great post! I'm glad I found it because I just detected a leak on the driver's side of mine, just like described here, and I was already worried about having to find where to take it to fix it... Now I'm willing to give it a try

I have a couple of questions and will appreciate any help you guys can give me. It's in relation to the torque specifications listed by Junkman in his first post for all fasteners Please, excuse my ignorance, I'm not an expert, but I'm willing to learn

Three of the items in the table do not list a single torque specification. Instead a 3-pass process is shown and I haven't been able to figure out what do they mean in each case:
  • Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Stud Nut
    • First Pass: 20 N·m
    • Second Pass: 3 ½ flats
    • Third Pass: 55 N·m
  • Outer Tie Rod End Stud Nut
    • Second Pass: 160°
    • Third Pass: 45 N·m
  • Upper Control Arm Ball Joint Stud Nut
    • Second Pass: 250°

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
Great post! I'm glad I found it because I just detected a leak on the driver's side of mine, just like described here, and I was already worried about having to find where to take it to fix it... Now I'm willing to give it a try

I have a couple of questions and will appreciate any help you guys can give me. It's in relation to the torque specifications listed by Junkman in his first post for all fasteners Please, excuse my ignorance, I'm not an expert, but I'm willing to learn

Three of the items in the table do not list a single torque specification. Instead a 3-pass process is shown and I haven't been able to figure out what do they mean in each case:
  • Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Stud Nut
    • Second Pass: 3 ½ flats
  • Outer Tie Rod End Stud Nut
    • Second Pass: 160°
    • Third Pass: 45 N·m
  • Upper Control Arm Ball Joint Stud Nut
    • Second Pass: 250°

Thanks in advance for your help.
Flats refers to the six flat sides to the hexagon shape of the nut or bolt head...so, he means rotate it 3 and 1/2 flats after you have achieved the 20 N.m with your torque wrench, then take it to the last value. I am not sure if you wait a specific time between each operation, but the intent is to have the mating components equilibrate over a period of time.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Flats refers to the six flat sides to the hexagon shape of the nut or bolt head...so, he means rotate it 3 and 1/2 flats after you have achieved the 20 N.m with your torque wrench, then take it to the last value. I am not sure if you wait a specific time between each operation, but the intent is to have the mating components equilibrate over a period of time.
So that's what it was!... I was going crazy trying to figure out what they meant by "flats"

I guess the other 2 examples in which they use degrees what they mean is to rotate the wrench to complete the given angle, after the first torque value is achieved, and then take it to the last value, right?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:36 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
So that's what it was!... I was going crazy trying to figure out what they meant by "flats"

I guess the other 2 examples in which they use degrees what they mean is to rotate the wrench to complete the given angle, after the first torque value is achieved, and then take it to the last value, right?

Thanks for your help.
Glad to help...yup, that's it...I would think 3 and 1/2 flats is 180 degrees + half of 60 degrees = 210

BTW, where the heck is that degree symbol on my keyboard????????????
Old 06-13-2011, 12:08 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Glad to help...yup, that's it...I would think 3 and 1/2 flats is 180 degrees + half of 60 degrees = 210

BTW, where the heck is that degree symbol on my keyboard????????????
Thanks again! I would have never guessed what "flats" meant in that context...

The degree symbol can be created by using a little trick. First make sure the "Num Lock" is active in your keyboard, then while pressing the "Alt" key you have to type 167 in the numeric keypad. The symbol appears when the ALT key is released, after the number has been entered. You can use this method to enter other ASCII symbols too if you know their codes.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Dave 127
Intermediate

How much for the dealer to do this?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Wow, thanks allot! That looks exactly like my issue
Old 04-19-2016, 02:43 PM
danny99
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

bump. I think I have this problem. Is there a difference between this (output shaft seal leak) and the rear differential leak? I cant seem to differentiate between the two.

I also heard it could be just the car "venting" after a long run. I got under it and can't diagnose the problem. I don't think it's venting, because I have gear fluid spilled all over the suspension and the rear wall fascia. And I don't think street cruising and doing 70 on a highway counts as a "long run".. even though I wish it was just venting..
Old 04-19-2016, 06:26 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by danny99
...I also heard it could be just the car "venting" after a long run. I got under it and can't diagnose the problem...
The vent is on the top, by the driver's side (the round and shiny little cap). Check to see if it is dry or not.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:23 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC

Question: While using the seal installer, did you not have enough room to use some sort of extension to be able to reach in and hit it? I was thinking of something like a wooden dowel for example. Maybe 1" or 1 1/4" diameter and however long needed to let you do the hammer swinging where you have more room.
I used the same Kent-Moore seating tool that AJ mentions and i had no problem with having enough room to swing the hammer but then again, i had the car on the lift and not on jack stands

Quick Reply: DIY: Output Shaft Seal (Leaky Butt) Fix by The Junkman