Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Replacing the Headlight Vertical Adjusting Rod (or "Golden Rod")

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rw6007
I have a C5 Z06 After reading the problems with the golden rods I wouldn't dare try to turn the one that is still intact.

I've seen that some members have bought either new or used golden rods and welcome any advice that can be furnished regarding the source of these "rare" items. I don't want to spend time going to junkyards or rummaging through dealership junk bins...not that I won't eventually resort to doing so. I would prefer to order one or two from some source and escape the other alternatives.

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

RW

Quite literally - you are going to have to just get VERY lucky to find these rods. (there is no such thing as a "new" replacement goldenrod" - only the entire headlight assembly!) Then you have to fix and replace. This isn't easy work by any means. Take a ton of patience if you are lucky enough to find some of the 'goldenrod's', Lube those puppies up really good!

I think by a longshot, this has to be one of the crappiest design 'flaws' on the C5's. They are incredibly 'fragile' and not even that is a good word - they are junk!

I was lucky - after breaking one (and finally replacing it) I've made lubricating those every time I do an oil change - just added as routine maintenance.

Good Luck finding one! ---->
Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 PM
joe3451
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default HID fix

Great write up! I recently had to change mine i got them from a used corvette parts dealer, as far as the HID fix it should take you 5 minutes and cost you 2 dollars, there is a couple of vendors out there that finally READ MY POST and ran with the idea and INVENTED a relay thats plug and play, the only problem is where were they a year ago when i was ripping my hair out trying to solve this annoying problem. Kudos to them!!! anyway with that said i have that holder in my car for over a year with ABSOLUTLEY no problems whatsoever so good luck and i hope your fix turns out great, if you have any problems feel free to PM me and i will be glad to help!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:52 PM
dlboyd41
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, I was able to adjust the drivers side without much grief, the passenger side is a different story. Let me say i soaked both sides with lube. The deal is the passenger side turns but so does the plastic bulb cap turns with it not allowing any travel, i guess the bulb potion of the shaft is frozen in the little plastic cap with the torx screw in the center. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 11-21-2015, 06:29 AM
Ulianokr
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I know this was 7 years ago...but,,,

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
There are a lot of people who are in this boat.

You attempt to adjust your headlights and the first adjustment you attempt to make is the vertical adjustment. You get the right sized Torx bit, stick it into the adjusting rod and begin to turn. At first it's kinda stubborn, but then it gives and easily begins to turn. Then you realize what really happened: You just busted your golden rod.

Here's the bad news. You are probably going to have to buy another headlight. That rod is not a part that is sold separately by any parts dealer anywhere. Not the dealer, not any of our forum vendors, nobody. Thus, you're looking at $700 for a new headlight, and anywhere from $250 and up for a used one. There are a couple of forum vendors who do have the entire headlight assembly for a reasonable price.

Now here's the exception. There's a guy out of Florida named Art who did at one time sell these rods by themselves for $18. That's right, eighteen smackaroonies. I was doing endless searches through old threads and stumbled upon a post that gave a link directly to the item. I immediately got on the horn and gave him a call. Real nice guy who loves to talk! He explained to me that he use to frequent all of the Chevy dealers in his area and collected all of the broken Corvette headlights that they had tossed in the garbage. He would then disassemble them and sell the parts because you couldn't buy individual parts for the headlights. For the guys lucky enough to find him, it was a blessing. However, he no longer can do this.

Apparently, GM got upset and made him quit selling these rods as separate units. Because of this, he no longer can get them. ...

With that said, you may still be in luck if you can find a damaged headlight. I would do like Art did and check with your local Corvette dealer (mainly their garbage cans). You may just luck up and retrieve a headlight with the rod intact. If you do, this is the info you'll want to know.

Here's a shot of the assembly:

It is held on to the headlight assembly by 2 screws, which are not real easy to get to. I first had to remove the light housing (3 10mm bolts), and then I had to remove the bolts that held the adjusting bracket onto the assembly.

The other thing that was a major PITA was getting my old assembly out of that bracket. I must have fooled with it for hours before I just pulled it out of the assembly. I don't know if my wiggling it for hours caused the thing to come free or if I was just too scared to pull on it in the first place (probably the latter). Anyway, it finally came out and the new one went in rather easily.

If you are lucky enough to get a hold of just the adjusting rod, then installing it should make sense because this is not something a not so mechanically inclined person would try. Because I have had my headlights in and out of my ride so many times, I'm rather comfortable with working on them. If not for that, I probably would have just bought another headlight as I was planning to do anyway.

One thing that I did figure out that may benefit a lot of folks here is how the adjusting rod assembly is put together. Had I known this, I might have just replaced the rod only. That's right, you can replace just the golden rod! Look at these pictures below. They show how the assembly comes apart.

Removing the white headed screw will allow you to pry the assembly open.

This picture shows exactly where you should shoot some PB Blaster in order to free the assembly so that you don't bust it when attempting to make any adjustments.

As you can see by this picture, the shaft is removable! If you can get a shaft, then you can replace your broken one.

So get your dumpster diving cloths on, it's time to go fishing. Don't bother with the dealerships in Louisville, I got them all covered. As a matter of fact, you just might open a dumpster lid and see me jump out looking like this guy:

I now have a fully adjustable "golden rod" again. That was really rubbing my nerves the wrong way. Another fix that didn't include the Corvette tax.

Well, it's time for me to try the "headlights won't go down fix" and see if it works. Joe3541 offered this up and I may as well tackle now while the lights are out of the car. Here are his instructions for those interested, and my take on the same repair.

That's all folks!
I know this is from a long time ago.. but I'm in the exact same shape here in 2015 and I can't seem to see the pictures and I think that would be great to take a look at... would you have them any longer????
Oh and BTW... Junkman... You are DA MAN.. your detailing videos got me started detailing my magnetic red 2000 C5 convertible... and my my buddies gotta have all the products you promote.. so thanks for all the help
Old 11-22-2015, 10:28 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I don't believe Junkman is on here anymore. Try contacting him over at Digital Corvettes site. He has a lot of stickies over there as well and he's posting over there as well.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...splay.php?f=76
Old 11-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,283 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Ulianokr - if you get in touch with Junkman and can get a copy of his post with all the pics, please let me know. I would like a copy also. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:09 AM
sansbup
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for this excellent write up. I persisted and took apart the little plastic gearbox, eventually freeing up the seized-on plastic tube. It took forever, the air turned blue with some good Anglo-Saxon words, but I got it done in the end.

For anybody missing the pics (I couldnt access them today) they can also be found HERE: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=103322

Last edited by sansbup; 04-13-2016 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Wrong link given - Sorry Junkman!
Old 07-20-2016, 04:55 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If anyone needs one of these, I've got one left. Can't recall if left or right or it may not matter.

Pay the postage and it's yours.

PM if interested.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:19 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Pm sent
Old 08-02-2016, 08:40 AM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Frozen Adjuster

Going through this in 2016.
What I've found here is that the short threaded rod is locked in the 'sleeve' gear.
I've got it 'soaking' at the moment.
If anyone has one of these I'm "LOOKING".

Thanks in advance.
Art
Attached Images    
Old 08-02-2016, 11:45 AM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by ArtGle
Going through this in 2016.
What I've found here is that the short threaded rod is locked in the 'sleeve' gear.
I've got it 'soaking' at the moment.
If anyone has one of these I'm "LOOKING".

Thanks in advance.
Art
I had the same problem with one. There's another old thread that describes how to get it unstuck that I used with sucess. I can't recall the thread but I wanna say I used a set of vice gripes on the sleeve and pliers on the rod and worked it back and forth until it broke free. Just took some patience and grease. Don't clamp down hard on the sleeve.

Last edited by 001pewter; 08-02-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:34 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

While I was changing the headlights to an HID setup I had the same problem, but I took that golden rod area apart and lubed the hell out of the junction box. Works fine now.

Jim
Old 08-06-2016, 04:53 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by diyguy
If anyone needs one of these, I've got one left. Can't recall if left or right or it may not matter.

Pay the postage and it's yours.

PM if interested.

---------
Received the golden rod yesterday. THANKS!!

Quick Reply: DIY: Replacing the Headlight Vertical Adjusting Rod (or "Golden Rod")