Sponsored by:

Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear really hates Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 AM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear really hates Corvettes

And perhaps America in general,..............This guy and his little friend go on and on about how the back bumper cover can be poked in easily, driveline noises, radio isnt up to snuff, engine sounds bad at low rpm, too much tire noise, cheap interior, its too wide, its left hand drive, the clutch is too stiff etc............and poke fun that there are no Iraqi restaurants in America.

I am a little shocked that a stiff upper lip, flabby faced Brit (see second link for more on his face,....wow) would have the ***** to rag on the quality of an American car versus the past and present British automotive offerings (the British have made and still make some of the most unreliable cars ever).

In addition, British cars were so bad (especially with electrical issues) most of the British marques have either been bought (Bentley, Jaquar, Mini) or have been forced out of business (the list is long) because no one (not even their own countrymen) would buy these jems of auto technology and quality.

I think it may be pure jealousy,.........I have lived in Europe and very FEW people own cars that are over 3 liters (because of taxes on motor size). Gas is off the chart expensive (7 bucks a gallon) and there are more speed cameras than you can count (with high fines and license loss attached to tickets).

Also, this show compares the Corvette against cars costing thousands and tens of thousands more (TVR 350, Honda NSX, and a non Turbo Porsche 911 Carrera)..........Then shows it losing to all but one in a drag race......huh ? All I can say is it must have been a bad start. Have Europe send over their best under 40k car and let the tests begin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjmL8rTc4c

http://magicstatistics.com/wp-conten...20Clarkson.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA

Last edited by ZeroToSixty; 05-07-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:21 AM
FUN LS1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

It's a British show so he has to cater to their audience.

Nothing new, since day 1 he's had issues with Corvettes. I'm a fan of TG and always will be.
So what if he bashes American's, half the time he is right about our obesity rates.

Besides, 13 colonies whomped their troops.

Move along folks
Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 AM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's a dork.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Please save me from the usual rants when JC gets posted here. These threads bring out the worst in some Forum members.

You really need to understand JC and his sense of humor. He does that to most cars although he has a few favorites. Its just his style. This is the guy who plays "conkers" with caravans (trailers). On one episode he ran through the Deep South with "Man Love" written in pink down the side of a beater. This is not typical American humor.

You're right though. He is not a Corvette fan although even he has had grudging praise for the C6 Z06. Bear in mind he blew up a C4 with a helicopter gunship. He also gave the Ford GT40 a hard time then bought one.

You're right about the type of cars over here but gas is now well over $9 a gallon. Even so some of us Brits have nice cars.

Said my piece but promise me no anti Brit ranting. Promise me now...........

Oh and we're over 1776 ...... really
Old 05-06-2008, 01:34 AM
FUN LS1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Oh and we're over 1776 ...... really

I know, but I'm no where near over Posh Spice!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:37 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

TVR is about to be deceased also
Old 05-06-2008, 01:40 AM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

That says alot about their integrity (or lack of it).

TG should remember a "proper" car starts when you turn the key and is affordable enough to own.

American auto mags and car shows rag plenty on American cars,........they dont seem to cater to us as much.

I like TG too, but I guess the combination of the hosts being a bit fem (that may be a by product of being English), living in a country whose food, weather and teeth are horrible and is home to an auto industry that is owned by Russians, Germans and Americans may be a little too much for Jeremy and crew,.....they lie with a straight face about Corvettes. It is the best bang for the buck in most every county it is sold, even with the import and motor taxes.............and their little lap board proves it...........I am pretty sure that the Corvette (Z06) is in the top ten for lowest time on the track and the lowest price (by far) in that group.

This guy just irritates me, he just doesnt present a true picture.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:41 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ZeroToSixty
That says alot about their integrity (or lack of it).

TG should remember a "proper" car starts when you turn the key and is affordable enough to own.

American auto mags and car shows rag plenty on American cars,........they dont seem to cater to us as much.

I like TG too, but I guess the combination of the hosts being a bit fem (that may be a by product of being English), living in a country whose food, weather and teeth are horrible and is home to an auto industry that is owned by Russians, Germans and Americans may be a little too much for Jeremy and crew,.....they lie with a straight face about Corvettes. It is the best bang for the buck in most every county it is sold, even with the import and motor taxes.............and their little lap board proves it...........I am pretty sure that the Corvette (Z06) is in the top ten for lowest time on the track and the lowest price (by far) in that group.

This guy just irritates me, he just doesnt present a true picture.
Here we go. Another member on my "list"

I'm out
Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 AM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

DeeGee

Just a little fun poking back at a bit of a jumped up guy that is in fact, entertaining. And sorry about the teeth thing, but it is as true as American are fat.

But Jeremy is British and fat,.......quite a sticky wicket.

I like the English, their amazing country and enjoy the humor of Monty Python, Benny Hill and the offbeat comedy that the Brits are known for,...........but, come on.

The bottom line is humor aside,.....someone that thinks a TVR is better than a Corvette is living an a dream land. I would put a number of US low volume auto producers against the best England can muster......What a Noble or a Lotus or an Atom ? (Ever sat in any of those cars ....I am not three feet tall).... Against a Z06 or a Viper ? Or a Ford GT 40 ?

I can see the 911 or NSX being better candidates for Corvette superiority (because of the handling finese and fit and finish), but alas, they cost almost twice what a Corvette runs and are slower. I have a mortgage, 2 kids, a family car payment and no room in my budget for a 60k car.............but I can cover a 30k car that is as fast as a 60k car (and in most cases more reliable).

Last edited by ZeroToSixty; 05-06-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:05 AM
CamachoSF
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we may have offended DeeGee, Im not going to put down the British but i do think there is jealousy here. Ive never met more people that hate a particular car so much. The Corvette is one of the most awesome cars ever produced, inexpensive and ultra performance, best bang for your buck. In the crew that i hang out with, theres always at least one new guy that is riding with a buddy that has something bad to say about my vette. I cruise with GTOs, Stangs, 350Zs, SRT-4s and several highly modified ricers. By the night is through, each and every one of those cars wants to race the vette (king of the hill) just to say, "Oh yeah, ive beat a vette" Needless to say, none of them have even come close. I am an avid muscle car lover, im not a big fan of mopars or ford muscle but i can still appreciate and show respect to a fast good looking car i.e the Shellby Cobra and the upcoming Challenger. Okay, so i kinda went out into left field on this one. So the bottom line is, whether its a brit, italian or even your neighbor with a Cobra or Viper, no one wants to openly admit that the Corvette is an awesome car and i think JC falls in this "Jealousy" category.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Old 05-06-2008, 02:10 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,246 Likes on 1,668 Posts

wheather or not JC likes corvettes, top gear is an awesome show that i find highly entertaining.

beats the hell out of what's produced here. (motorweek anyone?)
Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 AM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

It is real easy,......what percentage of English guys under 25 years old can afford to drive a V8 car that will do 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds ?

Answer............only the children of the wealthy or those that have made it firmly on their own. Ownership of such a vehicle in the UK is off the charts expensive........ and who knows what they pay for insuring a high performance foreign car.

They miss the point of the Corvette,...........it is a true supercar for the masses. I enjoy my American solution to a slow car as often as I can,........while 90 percent or more of Europe drives front-drive-4 cylinder econocars and diesels.

And I absolutely love the no door ding thing.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 AM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

Motorweek is staid and a little too positive,......but serves a purpose. Pat Goss is god.

Motor Trend Television is good but hard to find in the listings.

Rides is awesome, but in too much in the custom car arena.

Pinks is Pinks..........best car show on TV in some respects.

Car Crazy is OK but the host is a close talker and looks like he would have really bad breath.

Test Drive is also good and really shows off some great cars being driven by experts.

NOPI vision is also good but slants to the Import crowd.

I find many of the Do It Yourself shows are also pretty fun to watch..........on Spike I believe.

But out of all of these I have to admit, when the segment is right (not tractors, limos or jets) Top Gear is the best auto show on the tele.

Last edited by ZeroToSixty; 05-06-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeremy Clarkson is a genius.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:23 AM
Kamil
Burning Brakes

I have seen that video many times and for some reason everytime I watch it I speak to the TV and tell him how gay he is, and how stupid. My GF asks me why I talk to the TV, i always tell her that if she knew as much as I did about Vettes she would be sitting there with me joining on my lonely conversation. HEHEHE.

The Guy does not have a clue and that is final.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I absolutely LOVE Top Gear! A coworker of mine gave me seasons 1 through 9 on DVD and another friend just burned season 10 for me. So I've got almost every single show, and I am so addicted to it! There is no car show made over here that even comes close to Top Gear, the stuff they do on there is so over the top and so funny, and they test the coolest cars. It's interesting to see stuff they've got in Europe that we don't get also. Motorweek pales in comparison, with it's boring hosts and pitiful road tests.

Get notified of new replies

To Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear really hates Corvettes

Old 05-06-2008, 06:18 AM
wettvette
Instructor

some of his point are correct . cheap plastic interior, crap leather, driveline noise,etc, but i still like my car a lot, its not a daily driver but when i go for a drive i love the sound, performance and especially the asthetics
Old 05-06-2008, 06:45 AM
mattkilla97whitec5
Instructor

cant get enought of top gear and he does like the corvette c6 just not the z06 for street. it is his favorite american car. he has come to the us twice and drove it, and said how much he did like it. once when they came to go through the states and once to test it against the other top american sports cars, the gt and the viper. picked the corvette out of the three. he rags on almsot every car from the 911 to the r8 to the lambos. he is funny, cant take everything he says to heart, its just not about price and power for him, he is ar about everything. and im glad he is.

Last edited by mattkilla97whitec5; 05-06-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:52 AM
kww
Drifting

Maybe their upset because every car that had a Brit flag on it went either bankrupt or sold to another country. Talk about making junk.
The following users liked this post:
DestinVette (04-15-2016)

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear really hates Corvettes