buyer beware / ebay nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:09 AM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill K
Sorry about your deal, Never trust anyone when dealing with that kind of money, Not sure why you paid for it sight unseen.
You must have documentation (emails, pics, etc,) that you received during your negotiation period. That's all you have to make a mis-representation case against the dealer (seller). BTW, what's the dealers name and webite address? Post pics!

Last edited by MagRedConv; 05-10-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:51 AM
BobbyG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by nextime
Carfax doesn't tell everything. My 1992 Mustang was in 3 accidents and not one was in the Carfax report when I sold it. Yep all accidents had the police involved, tickets were issued, doctor and hospital bills were paid and the car was in the body shop 3 times and no Carfax report.
I completely agree with this statement!

I've used it twice on 2 vehicles I was looking at and not one incident showed up. I ended up finding out from 3rd parties some of the damage. My truck was in a head on collision with over $10,000 in damage. The other driver was cited, injury's and hospital stays, and NO CARFAX info..
Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Ebay has buyer protection up to 20k if you have Frame Damage.

You must file within 30 days of auction close.

I PM'd you to do this.

Once you open a dispute do not close it until totally resolved as you can only open 1 per auction.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Fire 22
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Stealth99 - how much did you pay for this 98?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:23 AM
park83
Advanced

Don't rush the purchase of a used Corvette. You'll end up regretting it. As much as you want one, you still have to take your time and throughly look at everything. It took me 3 months to find mine. If you're not being picky, you're taking a risk.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:28 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by C5naples
I have been on this forum since 2004 and am always amazed at how many people buy a car sight unseen.
I mean really!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:28 AM
park83
Advanced

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I completely agree with this statement!

I've used it twice on 2 vehicles I was looking at and not one incident showed up. I ended up finding out from 3rd parties some of the damage. My truck was in a head on collision with over $10,000 in damage. The other driver was cited, injury's and hospital stays, and NO CARFAX info..

I had the opposite experience with CARFAX. I got into an argument with the service manager at an Acura dealer about a TSB they didnt want to perform. Well they ended up performing it in the end. Years later, before I went to sell it, I saw on the CARFAX "possible flood damage". It was dated at the same time it was in the shop for the TSB. I then had to jump through a bunch of hoops with CARFAX to get it removed before I sold it.

CARFAX is a good tool overall, but it isn't foolproof. If people want to get around it, they will. Also, as in my case, it seemed to be unlawfully used because the service manager had a personal problem with me.

I ran CARFAXs on Corvettes before I bought them, and will always run them on high value used cars I am purchasing; however, they DO NOT replace a good inspection of a used car before purchase. You should always inspect it very closely, CARFAX or not. I will never buy a car sight unseen.

Last edited by park83; 05-10-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:31 AM
mattkilla97whitec5
Instructor

i was with my friend when he bought a car from a private seller and turned out to be a lemon. when i was there i made sure that she wrote out in writing that the car was fine (no frame damage, fire, flood etc). well it wasnt and so my friend got all the necessary documents and everything to a small claims court and won pretty easy. my friend and the person who owned the car both are in the navy so its a little different but she was forced to pay the settlement within one month or they would automatically take it out of her pay. sorry this happened to you and best of luck. i think that it will turn out in your favor.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:28 AM
krm_wi_C5
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill K
Sorry about your deal, Never trust anyone when dealing with that kind of money, Not sure why you paid for it sight unseen.
I agree, that is the only way this car would have sold. I have a feeling the dealer will refund once legal proceedings have started.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 916 Likes on 452 Posts

I have been on this forum since 2004 and am always amazed at how many people buy a car sight unseen.

Definitely a horrible idea.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Novat_99
Drifting

I flew down to Naples, FL from Phila, PA to personally inspect my Z16 Z06 before completing the deal...and that car had only 1,200 miles on it....if I'm putting out $$ for anything like that, I need to see it myself.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:36 AM
nextime
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $26,000 for mine and never test drove it until it was paid for. I figured if it was on the showroom floor it had to be OK!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Vettedream53
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Ebay nightmare

Hey Buddy: I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you on Ebay. I wish you the best in getting your money back and getting this Ahole off Ebay. Can you tell us his name? The cars look good on Ebay from pictures but I don't see how people can buy a car unseen. Too many crooks out there for sure. I'm like you. I'm in the market for my first used Corvette also. Been waiting for 40 years!! I'm really taking my time. Best of luck!!

Steve
Old 05-10-2008, 10:40 AM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

file a complaint with your state attorney generals office and good luck
Old 05-10-2008, 11:12 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by nextime
I paid $26,000 for mine and never test drove it until it was paid for. I figured if it was on the showroom floor it had to be OK!
I did the same thing with my 20,000 mile 02. It was in the personal garage of the dealer at his house. It was perfect, waxed and fully detailed looked like it had never been driven in the rain. I got on my knees and looked under it and it looked like new. Under the hood it also looked brand new. It had the original tires on it and they all had the same tread wear, front and rear, all very nice. I thought to myself that this car has never even had the rear tires break traction.

The first time I drove it was after the money changed hands. It drove like it was brand new.

No regrets!

I hope the OP is able to get a return of some kind. Buying a car sight unseen might be ok on some cheaper cars, but not a Vette! I have bought two cars sight unseen myself, my Camaro being one of them.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:33 PM
EDenney
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mattkilla97whitec5
my friend and the person who owned the car both are in the navy so its a little different but she was forced to pay the settlement within one month or they would automatically take it out of her pay.
Your friend was incredibly lucky that they were both in the military, in the real world so to speak he or she probably would have never seen a dime after winning the judgement (which in itself takes time and effort). Also, taking a case to small claims is MUCH easier, there are no lawyers involved and the entire proceeding is much more laid back. Safe to assume that with a C5 we're definitely talking about dollars that are outside the scope of small claims court so it's not going to be nearly so easy (or cheap).
Old 05-10-2008, 12:47 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stealth99
Hi, I Bought 98 Convert Last Week On Ebay. I Called The Vette Dealer / Expert Selling It A Few Of The Standard Questions Like Has It Been Hit, Does It Have All Orginal Panels And Paint, Suspension All Good , Tracking, Any Issues, Motor Stuff And So On , I DID CAR FAX IT. He Claimed To Be A Vette Dealer For Years And It Was His Specalty , Now I'm Finding Out He Doesn't Know His A-- From A Hole In The Ground And I Wouldn't Let Him Near Your Vette. The Car Shows Up In The Dark ,I Take It To The Local Gas Station For It's First Fill Up And Pop The Door And It Falls Off In My Hand, I Thought This Is Not A Good Sign. The Next Day I Found Things Part Bolted Or Hanging Off, Things Not Working Or Missing, This Is A Huge Nightmare Starting To Unwind. I Take It To A Shop , Put It Up On A Lift And There It Is , Frame Damage From A Hard Hit And Poorly Repaired ( Like A 12 Year Old With A Stick Welder And Torch Set) , So We Look A Little Further And Found Why The Turnsignals / Parking Lights Don't Work ( Would You Believe There Is No Wire Harness )? Continued On Next Thread
You need to get on EBAY immediately and copy every conversation question you had with the seller. You then need to file a claim against the seller with EBAY immediately. Also, get a another copy of the quote to fix everything.

Lastly, you need to get a hold of Carfax and let them know what's going on. There are laws in place to protect you in this kind of situation. This is exactly why I don't like Carfax

Get notified of new replies

To buyer beware / ebay nightmare

Old 05-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by stealth99
Yes I Did, It Was Clear.ANY IDEA'S OR WEB SITES I CAN POST WOULD HELP
Did Carfax offer a buyback guarantee on it?
Old 05-10-2008, 01:40 PM
shannanl
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that sucks but when you buy a car sight unseen you are opening yourself up for problems. Did you call the previous owner? I would never purchase a car without talking to the previous owner, CarFax, driving the car, having a good mechanic look at it, etc.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:48 PM
MagneticRed1977
Racer

I've bought a lot of stuff on ebay and it is only in the last 6 months that I have come across misrepresented items. Some have been outright junk.

Just for your info - several years ago an individual sued a a building owner and won a judgement. The building owner refused to pay, we are talking about a 20 story office building. The individual then got paperwork from the court, went to the sheriff and they padlocked the building on Monday morning. All of the office workers were standing around and some went home. Within 2 hours the court had the check for the individual and the building was unlocked.

Need to talk to an attorney.

Quick Reply: buyer beware / ebay nightmare