Sponsored by:

Optima battery is dead

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 PM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Optima battery is dead

Ok, so I didn't have a chance to drive my car for the past month, and well..the 4 month old Optima Battery in it is dead now. So...what does this mean? Is it "over" or can I recharge it enough to be basically good as new, I'll just get a trickler or something for next time I am not able to drive it. Or disconnect the neg cable...only reason I didn't do that is bc I didn't want the computer to have to re-learn the vara-ram and borla.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

i gave up on optimas after 2 redtops have left me stranded. f-that.

i picked up a regular acid battery from checker auto and it's never been drained or died.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Charging Red Top

Originally Posted by VetteFTW
Ok, so I didn't have a chance to drive my car for the past month, and well..the 4 month old Optima Battery in it is dead now. So...what does this mean? Is it "over" or can I recharge it enough to be basically good as new, I'll just get a trickler or something for next time I am not able to drive it. Or disconnect the neg cable...only reason I didn't do that is bc I didn't want the computer to have to re-learn the vara-ram and borla.
Hi, you can recharge the Red Top, and it will be almost as good as new. Any battery that has been allowed to be severely discharged will begin to sulphate, and can never be as good as new, but if it is only once it can be close to new, each repeated discharge takes a little more of the ability to hold a charge and soon the battery is not useable. Below are the charging instructions for a Red Top from Optima's web site, Optima's are very particular about being charged properly, so the instructions should be followed precisely for the most success. Possibly you may be able to convince the seller to exchange it for a new one under warranty.
Also if you have a pattern of letting the car sit for days or weeks at a time , you need to hook it up to a proper Battery Maintainer,(absolutely not a trickle charger), and if the battery is an Optima the Maintainer has to be one that can handle an AGM battery with at least 1.25 amp output, and the proper circuitry to not overheat the battery or only partially charge it.
Good Luck
SEE BELOW--Red Top Charging Instructions
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OPTIMA RedTop Charging Information
The following charging methods are recommended to insure a long battery life - always use a voltage-regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.

RedTop Type: 34 & 34R - 34/78 - 6V - 25 & 35 - 75/25
These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.

Recommended charging information:
Alternator:

13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.
Battery Charger:

13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.
Rapid Recharge:

Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.
Float Charge:

13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

All limits must be strictly adhered to.
Safety Information:

Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.
Always use a voltage regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gasses to escape, resulting in premature failure. These gasses are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot or makes a hissing sound while recharging should be disconnected immediately.
Failure to fully charge a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity.

Last edited by bestvettever; 05-29-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Sorry to hear that. I would never put a redtop in any of my cars. Besides the countless threads here on them dying out...I have 3 friends that have had red tops die out.

I went with the Excide Orbital(spiral cell) , sometimes my car will sit for weeks with no start.. starts up everytime.

Good luck.

fwiw my stock Delco battery lasted 6 years
Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

I have one in my Vette as I did not want a lead acid one and if I do not drive my Vette for more than 4 days I put a maintainer charger on it to keep it at peak performance and I do not have any issues. When it goes maybe I will put in the Excide, I currently got about 4 years on the red top
Old 05-29-2008, 11:55 PM
fireman591
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Optimas are overpriced and over rated.
Get a name brand acid battery and be done with it.
Just my .02
Old 05-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Shagster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

i had a red top opt. in my truck for 6 years and just put a new one in this winter no problems here. Im doing 1 red top and 2 yellow tops in my z06 now.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:57 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
I have one in my Vette as I did not want a lead acid one....(snip)....When it goes maybe I will put in the Excide, I currently got about 4 years on the red top
Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries like the Optima Red and Yellow Tops and the Exide Orbitals too are lead-acid batteries. The main difference between the AGM and standard flooded cell lead-acid batteries is that in the AGM battery the acid electrolyte is absorbed in the glass mat making them less likely to leak. However, should the case of an AGM battery become cracked, it can sometimes leak a little acid that seeps from the glass mats. See following links:

Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Batteries

AGM vs Gel Cell sealed lead acid batteries - All you ever wanted to know about the differences in sealed lead acid batteries.

Last edited by GrayC5; 05-30-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:08 AM
DalTexVet99
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had a Red Top Optima for 4 years with No issues. When this one goes out I will replace with the same. My car will sit for up to 2 weeks sometimes and no problem starting. I usually drive atleast 1 or more times a week on average though.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:11 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have to say that when my Red Top died in transit to the UK ( 8 weeks on the boat) it wouldn't hold the charge after that. The good news is that at least AGM batteries are leak free.

Its not really surprising it died. There's a drain from this car even when its idle and 4 months will probably kill the best of batteries. Standard lead acid batteries are more tolerant and will recharge. An Optima may be OK but why not just exchange it? Optima give a 3 year warranty.

With a 4 month old battery take it back and change it. Next time if you unhook the leads before you leave it or, better still, invest in a battery tender and you'll be good to go for the future.

Last edited by DeeGee; 05-30-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I have purchased a total of 5 Red Top batteries for various daily drivers over the years, and I have yet to ever have one fail... That is really saying something here in Phoenix, as the heat will typically kill any battery within 3 summers.

Never had one leak either.

I guess it is all anecdotal anyway.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:50 AM
flyzlow
Melting Slicks

Two dead Red Tops in 16 months...my last one lasted 4 months too. I went to Pep Boys for a Delco.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:11 AM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

To the battery's credit though, it only died because the car was sitting for a month, so it just got totally discharged, I'm sure that would happen with any battery. I'm sure I can get it recharged and it will be ok.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people will never learn.The red/yellow tops are JUNK!!! Get you a Interstate and be done. A 1/3 of the $ and a better battery.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:21 AM
msgvert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an almost new Excide Orbital die after the Vette sat for about five weeks ... so I got a Battery Tender Jr and keep it hooked up. It seems the electronics on our cars will drain any battery eventually.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Allzwell
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I've had redtops ... My car often sits for more than a month without being driven ... it has failed to start once, I jump started it and have had no problems since. Sheesh, no manufactures product is 100%, don't get too excited here folks
Old 05-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Optima batteries are not appropriate for cars that sit more than a couple days. They reportedly do much better in a daily driver but for the price I cant see the justification.

Get notified of new replies

To Optima battery is dead

Old 05-31-2008, 07:12 PM
JCFILM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DalTexVet99
I have had a Red Top Optima for 4 years with No issues. When this one goes out I will replace with the same. My car will sit for up to 2 weeks sometimes and no problem starting.
My car has never had a problem starting after sitting for 3 weeks.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

By the way, in most cases, you can't simply bring a discharged battery back to the autp parts store and demand a replacement. Normally, they will charge the battery and then test it. If it's okay, you get IT back, not a new one. This makes sense (looking at it from their perspective) because draining a a battery completely does shorten its life.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:49 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

is it a red top or yellow?

Quick Reply: Optima battery is dead