Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EnglandGreen Cam Package - everything including the Kitchen Sink!!!! *with new cams*

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JJS04
Stephen,

Those things sound freakin' awesome. If mine wasn't already hooked up it would be in your garage.

Just in case, will you throw in a six pack of Mikes Hard Lemonade?

Ah ha!

The kitchen sink!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EG do you have any videos and dyno graphs of your Ninja Cam? How does it compare to ECS blower cam in a n/a set up?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-03-2008, 09:24 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by stormrider
EG do you have any videos and dyno graphs of your Ninja Cam? How does it compare to ECS blower cam in a n/a set up?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark,
No dyno numbers yet - video would be boring; it sounds like stock
Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by arobber
So why not just go to CompCams and get one of theirs? What is the difference? You don't offer the full specs. Cams are usually ordered with full descriptions of LIFT and DURATION. Is yours secret? Patented? Etc., etc.
By all means you can go directly to Comp or one of their dealers and buy a cam. But you won't be able to buy my cams with my lobe design. Yes, the specs are proprietary - no different from East Coast Supercharging (ECS) or any of the major Tuners that are protecting their R&D.

Stephen
Old 06-04-2008, 12:54 AM
IrishMac
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gone, but not Forgotten
Cruise-In 5, 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Any future posts concerning specifics of EG's packages should be sent to him via PM/e-mail.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Stephen,

I sent you an email about your whiplash cam

Thanks,Tom M.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by C5R USA
Stephen,

I sent you an email about your whiplash cam

Thanks,Tom M.
Email replied.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EnglandGreen
Email replied.
I like what I hear,I WILL be ordering your whiplash cam no later than
Jun.13th.Thanks again for the info,Stephen.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:41 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

I've had some inquiries about the pros and cons of a big cam.

Small Cam: everyone is different. Not everybody wants to advertise to the world that their Vette is cammed.

Big Cam: a big cam really wakes up your exhaust system. It will be significantly louder with a big cam versus a small cam.

Cons for a big cam:
  • Noise. Everyone knows that you car is cammed.
  • Chop at idle - a sound like no other; reminiscent of the old muscle cars of the 1960s
  • Shakes the entire car at idle
  • It is NOT stock. The tune can make it almost like stock - but it will never be stock.
  • You can't lug the engine in 5th or 6th gear.
  • You may get a tiny bit of localised surging, usually in a fairly narrow RPM range (just change gears)
  • Your engine must be up to operating temperature before going to WOT
  • Valve springs need to be refreshed every 25-30,000 miles (although I know of several Vettes that are going on 50,000 on the same springs)

Pros for a big cam:
  • Chop at idle - a sound like no other; reminiscent of the old muscle cars of the 1960s
  • Shakes the entire car at idle - you either love this or hate this - I think it's a huge plus
  • Make much more power - upwards of 70rwhp with a cam only install.
  • Rocket-like propulsion when the cam hits powerband - better be pointing straight when it does!
  • Keeps on pulling strong well north of 7000rpm
  • Rock Star status each and every time you fire up that monster or pull up to a traffic light. Little kids in particular love it.

Last edited by EG@EnglandGreen; 06-04-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:16 PM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I've had some inquiries about the
Pros for a big cam:
  • Chop at idle - a sound like no other reminiscent of the old muscle cars of the 1960s
  • Shakes the entire car at idle - you either love this or hate this - I think it's a huge plus
  • Make much more power - upwards of 70rwhp with a cam only install.
  • Rocket-like propulsion when the cam hits powerband - better be pointing straight when it does!
  • Keeps on pulling strong well north of 7000rpm
  • Rock Star status each and every time you fire up that monster or pull up to a traffic light. Little kids in particular love it.
When I got my cam , I was afraid it would idle to choppy , now I worry if I go bigger it wont be enough !
Old 06-05-2008, 10:20 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by mojo1
When I got my cam , I was afraid it would idle to choppy , now I worry if I go bigger it wont be enough !
Lots of people tell me that. At first, they fear going with a big cam because a friend of a friend of a guy their sister used to date told them that big cams are unstreetable and exhibits a lot of bad behaviour.

So they select a small cam and a few weeks afterwards wished they went with a bigger cam.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:39 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

As people chase a "magic" dyno number, they lose sight of why they are modifying their car in the first place; to have fun!!!

The further north you go from 450rwhp naturally aspirated, the more unruly your car becomes.

Corvette Modifications Primer : A few things to consider if you wish to modify your Corvette for High Performance.

So you want to modify your C6 or C5 Corvette for high performance. Here are some things that you should consider first.

What is your driving style? Are you a drag racer? Autocross? Road racer? Weekend warrior? Show car? Stoplight to stoplight? Or simply highway fun? Or a combination of all or some of these choices?

How you drive and enjoy your Corvette will directly determine what modification you should make to your Corvette.

Nothing is free. Every modification you make to your stock Corvette will involve some kind of compromise. You are not going to make 800 rear wheel horsepower and get 30 miles per gallon with a whisper quiet exhaust as well as drive and idle like stock. That is not going to happen.

The trick is to be totally honest with yourself and decide what compromises you can live with and which ones you cannot. For example, if you want to achieve 500rwhp naturally aspirated, expect a big cam with a loping idle. Expect to lose some fuel efficiency. Expect your Corvette to not drive like stock.

You can start with simple bolt-ons like an aftermarket air filter, long tube headers and cat-back exhaust system. The next logical step is a camshaft only upgrade or heads and camshaft. Along with the bolt-ons, you can be comfortably at the 425-450rwhp range, all naturally aspirated. Or you could bypass the bolt-ons and simply have a supercharger or twin turbocharger system installed. An alternative to bolt-on might be rear gears (along with a stall converter for the automatics). Gears can also compliment your other modifications.

It all depends on what you wish to achieve.

As you increase the stock Corvette from it's 300-340rwhp (C5-C6) or 435rwhp (C6 Z06) to circa 550rwhp on the stock bottom end, expect to have to upgrade other aspects of your drivetrain, cooling and suspension. Remember, nothing is free.

Beyond 550rwhp, we strongly recommend a forged engine as you will be on borrowed time. At this point, your clutch/stall converter will have to be upgraded along with torque tube connectors, transmission and differential. Cooling must be addressed as well as the always overlooked and often forgotten bulletproof fuel system. At this point, methanol injection for boosted applications is almost mandatory. Suspension, brakes, wheels and tyres should also be seriously addressed, along with additional safety systems like a 6 point or better rollcage and so on. A Corvette that is very fast is no fun if it also does not handle and stop.

High performance is not a cheap hobby and it is best to be very aware of this fact going in so you do not encounter any surprises.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:07 PM
JeepTJ
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

OMG Stephen you are killing me. I NEED A CAM. I'll be coming by the shop in the next few days. You have got to talk Cathy into this.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:17 PM
dmgary
Instructor

Lots of people tell me that. At first, they fear going with a big cam because a friend of a friend of a guy their sister used to date told them that big cams are unstreetable and exhibits a lot of bad behaviour.

So they select a small cam and a few weeks afterwards wished they went with a bigger cam.

Hey stephen Im prime example...my cam is not big enough
Old 06-06-2008, 03:22 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Stephen,I'll be giving you a call later today to order the whiplash
Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by JeepTJ
OMG Stephen you are killing me. I NEED A CAM. I'll be coming by the shop in the next few days. You have got to talk Cathy into this.
Fred, Cathy already wants to kill me because of the RPM transmission and stall I installed last Christmas

Originally Posted by dmgary
Hey stephen Im prime example...my cam is not big enough
I have a fix for that Darryl

I look forward to your call, Tom
Old 06-06-2008, 08:10 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

EnglandGreen Whiplash cam in a 2002 Z06 testimonial by Bill Curlee

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The last few weeks have FLOWN by. I literally finished the MODs to my ZO6 then had BILLDOG350 help me tune the car and a couple of days later I drove it straight to BG Cruise in! Nothing like throwing fate into the wind! I had confidence in my wrenching so it wasn't all that scary.
Three guys that save the day were BILLDOG350 (Bill Johnson) and VETTENUTS ( Bob ) who lent me his damper install tool and crank pinning tool and Bill helped me do some VE tuning! & ENGLANDGREEN (Stephen) who did the finial tune to his cam..

Here is the low down on how the car performed during the trip:

I packed EVERY TOOL necessary to just about rebuild the engine if I needed to! Yep,,it was in the bag! I had ZERO engine issues other than a very small oil "seep" from my oil pressure sensor relocation fitting.

Billdog350 (Bill) helped me tune the VE table and also do some FINE tuning and I literal got 25 (tank fill verified) MPG on the way down to BG!!! The car /engine ran excellent other than a small issue with the idle when the AC was on. (more on that later) Bill,,,thank you very much for your EXPERT Tuning assistance! That made ALL the difference in the world for my fuel economy and engine survival.

While I was at the Cruise in ENGLANDGREEN offered to help me fine tune the engine in return for some stuff I helped him with when he was moving from CT to FL. EG was IMPRESSED with Bills rough tune! Bill did an excellent job with the EFI Live Auto VE Tune and Stephen applied some EXPERT tuning skills to the PCM and WOW, its running EXCELLENT~!!!

EG, is amazing!!!!! With in 30 min,,,,,my car was a different animal! Idles perfect, has more power (my clutch is really hating life now) and my fuel economy is further improved. I got a (Tank fill up verified ) 27-28 MPG on the highway running 65-75 mph on the way back to CT. No more pesky stalling when the AC is on.

I had the car dynoed when I was at BG and it turned 443 HP and 400 ft/lbs tq. Like I stated previously, my clutch is NOT handling the additional HP & Tq very well,,, so those numbers are probably low. The clutch IMMEDIATELY goes to the floor if you try to shift after a hard pull. The dyno showed that the engine was a little rich when WOT as did my wide band so,,, EG pulled some fuel and the engine seemed to respond well to that change! I did manage to lay down 80' of tire at the Hampton! Yep, its running very well!

As soon as I get my clutch issues ironed out,,, I will dyno it again. I'm very sure that there is a LOT more than what it showed on the back street dyno. I'm very happy with the results of my mod install and the car is running phenomenal!

I can NOT believe that I can still lug the engine in low RPMs with out bucking and surging. I'm really liking my WHIPLASH cam. selection.

Here is the finial product:

Thank you ALL for all of your advice, assistance and help! Some of this stuff was NEW and without your help, it would have been a LOT more trying and maybe not so successful! Bill Johnson and Bob (Vettenuts) & ENGLANDGREEN (Stephen),,,You guys are life saves! I made it to the cruse In and BACK with some MAJOR mods and your guys helped make it successful!

Next major event that I will be attending will be Corvettes At Carlisle. See you there if you can attend!

For the Northeast guys, I'll see you at Marks, or Ocean Beach in New London.

Bill C

Get notified of new replies

To EnglandGreen Cam Package - everything including the Kitchen Sink!!!! *with new cams*

Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Thank you for your order, Tom
Old 06-06-2008, 07:21 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for your order, Tom
Thank you,I'm to get that in the beast
Old 06-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

You love it!

Quick Reply: EnglandGreen Cam Package - everything including the Kitchen Sink!!!! *with new cams*