Sponsored by:

Need help with front turn signal bulb

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:36 PM
DylanFan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with front turn signal bulb

My wife and I got the 2000 Sebring Silver convertible out for a little spin today. While driving I flipped the right turn signal and it flashed at about double speed. So, I got out, after stopping of course, and checked the bulbs on the driver's side with the signal on. The right front signal bulb was not flashing. I looked in the book and can't find any help on how to get at or change that bulb. On the way home it would work intermitenly. When I got home it quit again. I got under the front as best as I could but couldn't get to the bulb. Can anybody help?

I just noticed in the book it says: "For any bulb changing procedure not listed in this section contact your Chevrolet dealer". Does this mean only the dealer can change the front turn signal bulb? And what would they charge for changing the bulb?

Last edited by DylanFan; 06-22-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: New information.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You'll get three suggestions

Go in through the brake ducts - not easy with a Z06 or if you have screens

Go in through the bottom by taking out the bottom panel

Name:  FrontfasciaPanel.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  31.9 KB

The one that works for me is:

Turn on the headlights and back off one position to kill the lights.
Unscrew the 3 small screws on the black plastic housing around the headlight. Gently pull the housing clear. Reach down around the headlight unit and release the bulb holder. It unscrews counter clockwise but it has a plastic clip which you need to squeeze to release it. Here’s how the bulb fits into the lamp unit. The DRL bulb is the lower of the two.

Name:  Sidelightcluster.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  42.2 KB

Here’s the light socket. This one’s after market but it gives you the idea. You can see the clip you need to squeeze.

Name:  HeadlightBulbHolder.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  30.3 KB

Change the bulb. Reseat the bulb holder and turn until it clicks back in place. Put the plastic housing back in place making sure to locate the small plastic tab in the bracket on the headlamp cover. Replace the 3 screws and close the lights.

10 minute job. Some guys have had the lights close if they’ve taken a while to do the fix. If you’re worried about that, disconnect the battery once the lights are up.

The bulb is a 4157NA

Some guys with big arms remove the hood adjusting screw for better access. Guys with even bigger arms have had to take off the headlight cover. Four torx screws (2 back, 1 each side). Take the back ones off first with the lamps down. Raise the lights and take the side ones out.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Do it the easy way! Pop down the brake duct cooling vent on the front fasica and stick your arm, not real comfortable, throught there feeling around for the light bulb. It might take a minute or two to find the first time, but it's not hard. When you find it turn it 1/4 turn and remove it. The wire is long enough to come out of the front opening so you can change the bulb and replace easily. Pop the brake duct back in place and you're done. 5 minutes max first time, I can do it in about 30 seconds now.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:59 PM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I did it with the headlight raise method. You pop the light up, take off the bezel around it (the black piece) and then you can get your arm in there and feel around. Remember it sticks upward to the sky, so it pulls down, not out. Its not too bad but i had trouble my first time, i could maybe do the brake duct method next time but not sure, its kinda far up there...I don't see how anyone can do it that way.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:35 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I did mine from the access panel underneeth.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:53 PM
rbrtclk
Racer

By the way FYI!! the bulb is so close to the top of the housing,that the heat generated by the bulb causes the top of the housing to melt and crack, thereby letting water in to "blow" the bulb. I recommend that you put some clear silicone over the cracks in the housing to "reseal"it.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You can do it one of two ways -

- take off the bezel around the headlights and reach down and unplug the light socket. Does not work well with large arms.

- there is an access panel under the front fasica that you can remove and have total access to the area where the lights are. Just have to get the car up off the ground a bit.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:06 PM
DMan 01'
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone. My left front went on Friday was going to talk the job tomorrow
Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Mr Jaz
Advanced

Default Thanks Dee Gee

Hey Dee Gee,
Thanks for the diagram for the blinker. I was actually able to fit my arm in the duct and reach up to find the blinker housing. I couldnt figure out how to get it out until I looked at your diagram and in five minutes I had a blinker again. Again thanks!!

Cindy
Old 10-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Holy necromancy, Batman!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 PM
McLendon95
Instructor

I found this thread from 2008 on google about a week ago, and it helped me a lot too. Thanks for that diagram!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Pres712
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has been doing it for over 4 years and I have yet to replace the blub! It has never "blown". I just take out the bulb, sand off the contacts, clean out the socket and put the old bulb back in....good for another year! And there is no hole in the housing???
Old 04-15-2012, 01:36 PM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

What a b*tch, I was able to get to the bulb,but couldn't get the bulb out. I took the tailight out to get an idea of how to release the clip.I then put my other arm in was able to release the clip. I have a big bag of spare bulbs but no 4157.I had a 3157. I go to the store and find 4157 is the same as 3157. wtf The package had on it 4157,3157 and 5702.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

another common issue is the socket gets all $#@%ed up and you will need to replace it...the ones they sell at Advanced Auto or AutoZone..(I forget which) are only like $10....dealer wants like $30...
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 PM
0corvettemods1
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Maybe time for some LED switchbacks?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:21 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by cuspid
....... I have a big bag of spare bulbs but no 4157.I had a 3157. I go to the store and find 4157 is the same as 3157. wtf The package had on it 4157,3157 and 5702.
The bulbs are interchangeable. The 4157 is slightly brighter (28.5 vs 27 watts for the 3157).
Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

I did the LED switchback mod -- stays cool and has a life time warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with front turn signal bulb

Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

I can do the left bulb through the brake cooling duct, but not the right. From the brake duct opening, something interferes with the socket tab that has to be pushed to turn the socket (only on the right side).

My hands/arms are average size.

Next time I have to change the right bulb, I will do it from the bottom. but see if I can remove whatever is in the way of pushing the tab with my battery powered Dremel tool-
Old 06-30-2012, 04:08 PM
golfbum1932
Cruising

Originally Posted by DeeGee

Unscrew the 3 small screws on the black plastic housing around the headlight. Gently pull the housing clear. Reach down around the headlight unit and release the bulb holder. It unscrews counter clockwise but it has a plastic clip which you need to squeeze to release it. Here’s how the bulb fits into the lamp unit. The DRL bulb is the lower of the two.

Here’s the light socket. This one’s after market but it gives you the idea. You can see the clip you need to squeeze.

Change the bulb. Reseat the bulb holder and turn until it clicks back in place. Put the plastic housing back in place making sure to locate the small plastic tab in the bracket on the headlamp cover. Replace the 3 screws and close the lights.

10 minute job. Some guys have had the lights close if they’ve taken a while to do the fix. If you’re worried about that, disconnect the battery once the lights are up.

The bulb is a 4157NA

Some guys with big arms remove the hood adjusting screw for better access. Guys with even bigger arms have had to take off the headlight cover. Four torx screws (2 back, 1 each side). Take the back ones off first with the lamps down. Raise the lights and take the side ones out.

6/30/12
I just completed the taks from the bottom access panel, it really helped to know about the clip. It also helped that I am left handed because you need good dexterity for the process of putting bulb back in the socket. I am a large man and had no trouble with not having enough room.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by DeeGee

The bulb is a 4157NA

Peace
Chip

Quick Reply: Need help with front turn signal bulb