Sponsored by:

To remove HUGE CE Stripes from my C5? Stick on Stickers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default To remove HUGE CE Stripes from my C5? Stick on Stickers

The CE stripes were Great for the past three years. But they are in rough shape now and I'd like to clean teh car up and go back to a normal vette look. it's a black car and these stickers have baked themselves on over teh years.

So what can i do to remove them from my car? I've heard that soaking the area with WD-40 overnight works well. But these guys were talking about removing bumper stickers. These stickers go all the way from the front to the rear.

Anyone know a good way to get them off the car?

As always thank you for helping.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
tellefan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way I've found is with heat. You can try a hair dryer, I've also used a small heat gun on the low setting. You have to be super careful not to burn or bubble the paint. David
Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I removed a clearbra from a car 2 weeks ago, just left it in the 90 degree sun/heat all day, and then started at one side pulling at a 45 degree angle slowly. then removed glue with 3m adhesive remover.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Red5
Safety Car

I currently have it soaking in WD-40. It worked on the Tire Rack windsheild banner. Guess i'll try it on the rest of the car. I figure a worst case scenario = new paint jpb. And to be honest, the car is about due for new paint.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know how it turns out

Chuck
Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I took some stripes off the stang with a heat gun or a hair dryer pulling away at an agle, and then I used bug off from turtle wax, and the car came out great.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:54 PM
10U 99
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

3M makes an aerosol woodgrain and stripe remover. the stripe can then be removed with a plastic squeegee without fear of lifting the paint. but be advised this removes only the vinyl and not the adhesive. the 3M adhesive remover is needed
Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Vetteguy2008
Racer

Originally Posted by EVIL_C5
I removed a clearbra from a car 2 weeks ago, just left it in the 90 degree sun/heat all day, and then started at one side pulling at a 45 degree angle slowly. then removed glue with 3m adhesive remover.
This is the best way to do it or you can use hair drier ... DO NOT USE HEAT GUN
Maybe you got these from Mike 3-4 years ago when he got bad batch of vinyl and have replaced them for most of the forum members.
Try to contact him and I bet he will take care of you right
Old 07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vetteguy2008
This is the best way to do it or you can use hair drier ... DO NOT USE HEAT GUN
Maybe you got these from Mike 3-4 years ago when he got bad batch of vinyl and have replaced them for most of the forum members.
Try to contact him and I bet he will take care of you right
The stripes did go bad and I got them from Mike about 3-4 years back. However.... Guess I should come clean with my corvette brothers.

The main reason I am removing the stipes is because I just got a HUGE ticket in the car. And the officer acted as if he had my picture hanging above his fireplace mantle for some time.
In other words: I'm a marked man.

So I've decided it's best for all of us that I remove these "Arrest me please" stripes, go back to a stock pipe, run stock tires and try to "fit in" with traffic a little better. (I'll also try and not speed in their favorit hunting grounds)

I do like the look of the stripe, but untill I clear court and get all my points back I need to act/look calm for a while and just keep the fast stuff on the track.

So there you have it.... The truth.

Back to teh wd-40... I've been making about an inch per every five minutes or so. My fingers are so sore they have almost quit working. The rear and top are off and the front is 10% complete. I'll post picture once I get her all cleaned up. Hopefully she will look like a moddest Corvette (if such a thing even exists ).
Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh man, that really sucks. Being a marked man I mean. Hope that Johnny law notices that you are cleaning yourself up. We'll see how long that lasts in a Vette.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:16 AM
tippi77
Racer

I used a heat gun and lots of patience. You can use a wooden paint stirrer to scrape the sticky bits if u have any bits of tape or flue residue left over. This protects the paint.

Just make sure you dont apply too much heat and burn the paint

Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 AM
JAC5KSON
Instructor

hahaha i like the **** eating grin on the passenger in that picture!!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by tellefan
The best way I've found is with heat. You can try a hair dryer, I've also used a small heat gun on the low setting. You have to be super careful not to burn or bubble the paint.
Good luck getting them off.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
zonsolo
Drifting

I feel your pain, my brother had TONS of crazy stripes/stickers all over his probe. He and I took an entire day in the sun w/ hair dryers getting them off. Good luck, sounds like you're almost done.

I'll be interested to see how the area under the stripes compares to the exposed section when you are done.

I've heard many horror stories of stickers being impossible to repaint afterwards, even if sanded down to primer, they still show thru in the new paint.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,577 Likes on 664 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Red5
The stripes did go bad and I got them from Mike about 3-4 years back. However.... Guess I should come clean with my corvette brothers.

The main reason I am removing the stipes is because I just got a HUGE ticket in the car. And the officer acted as if he had my picture hanging above his fireplace mantle for some time.
In other words: I'm a marked man.

So I've decided it's best for all of us that I remove these "Arrest me please" stripes, go back to a stock pipe, run stock tires and try to "fit in" with traffic a little better. (I'll also try and not speed in their favorit hunting grounds)

I do like the look of the stripe, but untill I clear court and get all my points back I need to act/look calm for a while and just keep the fast stuff on the track.

So there you have it.... The truth.
Oh great. I just got a set of these as a gift. Guess I have a LOT to look forward to....

Get notified of new replies

To To remove HUGE CE Stripes from my C5? Stick on Stickers

Quick Reply: To remove HUGE CE Stripes from my C5? Stick on Stickers