Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sandblasting or chemical paint removal on wheels in Indy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:31 PM
GMANS C5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sandblasting or chemical paint removal on wheels in Indy?

I plan on getting my rims powdercoated black soon and the place I was going to have tem done at said it was going to cost $120 per wheel to remove the clearcoat and paint and then powdercoat them. $480 sounded a bit high to me, especially when their website said something totally different. Another shop quoted me $30 per wheel powdercoat, but I would have to get them stripped before I took them in. Does anybody know any places to take them here in Indy? Should they be sandblasted, or stripped with chemicals? I don't want to compromise the integrity of the wheel structure. Can I get the chemicals somewhere to do it myself? My rims are the stock silver 2002 rims.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:41 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by GMANS C5
I plan on getting my rims powdercoated black soon and the place I was going to have tem done at said it was going to cost $120 per wheel to remove the clearcoat and paint and then powdercoat them. $480 sounded a bit high to me, especially when their website said something totally different. Another shop quoted me $30 per wheel powdercoat, but I would have to get them stripped before I took them in. Does anybody know any places to take them here in Indy? Should they be sandblasted, or stripped with chemicals? I don't want to compromise the integrity of the wheel structure. Can I get the chemicals somewhere to do it myself? My rims are the stock silver 2002 rims.
If you have a decent home compressor, a media blasting kit is inexpensive. As long as you don't use a very aggressive media, you will be fine. I would guess you can get the chemicals some place, but I don't know what you would need.

Last edited by chaase; 10-03-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:06 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

And if it is indeed "just paint" ive used "Aircraft Paint Remover"..works like a charm....removes any type of paint...skin, flesh...you GOTTA wear gloves with this stuff..it iwill strip the stink off a skunk!
Old 10-03-2008, 03:42 PM
GMANS C5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a compressor and the more I think about it, I don't really want to screw with chemicals. I guess I will try to find a shop here in town to do it.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:39 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

that sounds about a bit on the high side but not terrible, buddy of mine paid that $400 to get some Z06 wheels powder coated, maybe it was $450
Old 10-03-2008, 06:00 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

IIRC, Eckler's sells a kit from Busch Products that removes clear coat.

Get notified of new replies

To Sandblasting or chemical paint removal on wheels in Indy?

Quick Reply: Sandblasting or chemical paint removal on wheels in Indy?