Which Race seats, Caravaggio or Sparco

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Which Race seats, Caravaggio or Sparco

I finally sold my stock sport seats and now have an option to buy either the Sparco Evo seats or a set of Caravaggio Race seats. My interior is all black at the moment but i want to do a mod red swap with someone or i may just start pulling panels off and wrapping in red leather.

The caravggio are a pair of black leather with red stitching. not sure what model it is, i will see them next week in person. (need to make an offer, what is fair?) mint condition.

The Sparcos are an evo and an evo 2, red leather on the lower to mid side bolster, black leather on the upper bolster, and suede in the center butt and back. very neat looking i'd say. mint condition. ~800 for both

So, based on my size (5'8" 150lbs, 32 waist) which would be the better seat to go with? i will be doing road racing and drag racing, i already have a set of harnesses in the car as well.

Can you guys post up your pics of those seats if you have them? i have searched, but not many pics of the evo seats...

Thanks all.
Aj
Old 01-01-2009, 11:00 PM
usmc5
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally have used the red sparco torino seats and they were confortable as hell.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Every answer on here is going to be partial to what the poster has (just like exhaust). I have the Caravaggio race seats in my daily driver Z and couldn't be happier. There isn't a seat out there that I would trade them for.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 AM
versatile
Drifting

Caravaggios!
They run about 1395.00 ea retail, but worth every penny!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:20 AM
dixonk
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

My opinion isn't biased as I don't have either but the Caravaggios look so good!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

This is my Evo and Evo 2

1st, you can't safely use your factory seat belts with them because the sides are to high and keep the belt off your waist, so you've got to use a harness which isn't DOT certified (depending on where your at, you'll probably get away with it, but it's not exactly up to the letter of the law). You better be a skinny guy like me to fit in the Evo. Getting in and out of them is a bit of a struggle and kills all the cool points you get for pulling up and a nice car. My girlfriend hates them and says it makes her feel claustrophobic. There is no room to move around at all. In short, not the seat for a daily driver or weekend cruiser.

On the other hand, if your weekend cruise includes high g corners on race tires, once you're strapped in and secure, there's nothing better. The Evo seats are fully FIA certified racing seats, the caravaggio seats are really nice and supportive, but not in the same league as the Sparcos.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:36 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

The Caravaggio seat and the Sparco Roadster 2 seats are on the same fiberglass mold. The Evo is a more race only seat and comparable to the other Caravaggio race seat. I can't remember the name and I'm too lazy to look it up. For a regularly driven car, get the Caravaggio if you can afford it. You won't be disappointed. I'm willing to bet that if you search the forum you won't find a single negative comment about them FROM SOMEBODY WHO ACTUALLY OWNS THEM.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
bencini231
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dixonk
My opinion isn't biased as I don't have either but the Caravaggios look so good!
caravaggio looks good
Old 01-02-2009, 12:47 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Originally Posted by dixonk
I agree just on the basis of look. They are sweet.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

oh - the Sparco Evos don't come with any mounting hardware, so you've got to add that into the cost (~$300 per seat) along with 2 harnesses ($150 - $300 each) and a harness bar ($300) and lap belt mounts (~$20 if you don't mind a little drilling or ~$75 each side for a bolt in set). by the time it's all said and done, the Evos are almost as expensive as a bolt in caravaggios.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

thank you guys, you've pretty much made my decision. This car is mainly a daily driver so i need to keep that in mind. i'd say i hit the track once a month. the sparcos are too much of a race seat it seems.. The ONLY downfall i see with the Caravaggios is .... how the hell do i use my 5pt harnesses with them? there are two holes up top for the belts to come thru, but the sides and crotch do not have holes. thats my only concern at this point.

Also, now that i am getting these seats, i will be buying the interior upgrade kit from Carskinz. probably black leather or a carbon fiber material with red stitching. should look absolutely wicked when its done!!!

Again, thank you all for the advice!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
The ONLY downfall i see with the Caravaggios is .... how the hell do i use my 5pt harnesses with them?
They are perfectly set up for 5/6 point harnesses. There is a slit in the bottom for the sub belt. It comes up between the two cushions on the bottom. The sides are also low enough in the spot where the lap belts come across so the belts sit across the waist pretty well.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

I just ran out and snapped a pic for you with the bottom pads gone...

If you didn't already realize, the back pad as well as the bottom (3 total) are held in with velcro. If you want a REALLY aggressive feel, you can pull the pads on the bottom and use the seat without the pads. With them gone, they are every bit as deep and laterally supportive as most of the full blown race seats. You really do get an awesome product with the Caravaggio

Old 01-02-2009, 07:47 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Originally Posted by redls1gto
For a regularly driven car, get the Caravaggio if you can afford it. You won't be disappointed. I'm willing to bet that if you search the forum you won't find a single negative comment about them FROM SOMEBODY WHO ACTUALLY OWNS THEM.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:51 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck with your project
Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

redls1GTO
Thank you for posting those pics! i appreciate that greatly!!! ok, now i am REALLY pumped to get those seats! LOL...

Thank you all, appreciate the comments!
Aj
Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

1 BAD BURB,

Did you end up purchasing the Caravaggio's?

Get notified of new replies

To Which Race seats, Caravaggio or Sparco

Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Hardcorvette
1 BAD BURB,

Did you end up purchasing the Caravaggio's?
no i didn't, the guy with the Caravggios changed his mind and wanted more money. i already had a deal lined up with another forum member for the Sparco EVO's so that worked out nicely...Based on the picture "Lancer" posted with his Evos seats, my only concern at this point is my cage interfering when mounted. I'll have to get my cage bent to accommodate then.

I believe the guy wants to sell the caravaggios for $2000 or so. are you interested in them or were just wondering? I did see them in person, they were beautiful. black leather with red stitching. no fancy add ons to the seat though...

Aj

Last edited by 1 BAD BURB; 01-19-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I was debating on the Sparco. I tried out the Evo2 Plus, fits like a glove (I'm 6'2", 200lbs 34-35" waist). However, I'm being told they may be too wide for the C5. And when you add on the HardBar seat rails, your are looking at $1000.+ for the Sparco set-up. I figure for all that coin, maybe I should just go with the Caravaggios.

Last edited by Hardcorvette; 01-19-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Mr. Lau
Pro

Wasn't their a forum member selling mock-Caravaggio's for better prices? I remember!! I just don't know where.

Quick Reply: Which Race seats, Caravaggio or Sparco