Sponsored by:

Ipod Adapter - Install Procedure - Z06/C5 - No CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:42 PM
BUBBAS 01Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Thanks guy ! I am hoping i don't have the battery issue.

I have been meaning to ask you though... I got ~350 songs on my ipod. I tell it to go into random song mode. On the IPOD itself i can cycle through all 350 songs clicking the right button on the IPOD. I however can't track thru all 350 songs on the ipod with my head unit in the car. It may only go to 7 songs, then repeat the 7 songs again (its not always 7 songs, it may be 5 or 4, or 8 the next cycle). I have to hit the ipod ahead a few songs to get to a song i have not heard yet. Does yours do this ?

Did I hear someone say in a post I read that you need a CD in the head unit for some reason ? For my issue above ? I need to try this, just have not yet.

Thanks Bubbas !
Toque

Mine is the same way.....from what I understand there is NO solution to this problem...

You'll have to manually click through your songs on the IPOD to get to your song.....

I have never been able to do so on my CD player....

No biggie really....

Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BUBBAS 01Z06
Mine is the same way.....from what I understand there is NO solution to this problem...

You'll have to manually click through your songs on the IPOD to get to your song.....

I have never been able to do so on my CD player....

No biggie really....

I have to lift my center console every time this happens to skip ahead a few songs... ... Kinda sucky for me. I was hoping to have it invisable all the time and totally control it with the head unit.

Thanks for the verification on this issue !

Toque
Old 01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

Just finished up my install. Your thread was very helpful in the process. Thanks for your efforts!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ALEXAMES
Just finished up my install. Your thread was very helpful in the process. Thanks for your efforts!
I'm glad it helped you out !

Toque
Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Guys:

So I went out to my car today (had not driven it since last Sunday night). I saw 11 volts on the dash. Lights were dimmer than usual.

It turned over 3 times "VERY SLOWLY", then fired up. I thought it was going to do the dreaded "Click-Click-Click" when the battery dies. My car has never hesitated in the 5 years I have owned it since new, and and its still the factory battery.

I have the dash apart tonight. Hopefully find the constant always on 12v , and move it to a "switched" 12v. I also have a switch I might install in the line if I can't find a switched 12v line.

Updates tomorrow, pics too.

Toque
Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Guys:

So I went out to my car today (had not driven it since last Sunday night). I saw 11 volts on the dash. Lights were dimmer than usual.

It turned over 3 times "VERY SLOWLY", then fired up. I thought it was going to do the dreaded "Click-Click-Click" when the battery dies. My car has never hesitated in the 5 years I have owned it since new, and and its still the factory battery.

I have the dash apart tonight. Hopefully find the constant always on 12v , and move it to a "switched" 12v. I also have a switch I might install in the line if I can't find a switched 12v line.

Updates tomorrow, pics too.

Toque
Interested to see your solution!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Choreo
Interested to see your solution!
Guys:

Here is what I found. Its was a fairly easy solution, and it seems to operate the IPOD just as it did before. I was used to seeing the IPOD show a picture of the battery charging on it when I turned off the ignition. It does not do that now. The IPOD completely turns off now when the ignition is off. I only hope it cures the battery drain issue....

I found a "ignition switched" 12v on the harness that is not used. Its on the PHXGM1 harness. Last week I did not know what to connect it to so I just taped it up. I put it to good use this week...

Let me report back in a week before you all jump into your dash to try this....

Toque

Old 01-17-2009, 11:53 PM
thezman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
Yes, but the problem as reported in other posts is that the Peripheral Adapter still draws current ALL THE TIME with the car turned off as there is still power to the radio harness (as evidenced by the CD ejection working even with the car off).
all stock c5 will eject the cd with the car off,even with no keys in it and it will take the cd in too
Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Well I got up this morning, and after working on the car last night it killed the battery (inside lights on while working and trying stereo a few times, etc...). I got the dredded "Click-Click-Click". I drove the car 45 mins yesterday trying to charge it. There was no reason that the car's battery should have died with me inside it working for only an hour last night. My 5 year old factory battery just can't hold a charge anymore. I think draining it last week partially did it in, but I noticed weeks ago that it was acting weak.

I got a new battery today (Die Hard Platinum) and will monitor the car's voltage every day after work to see if the voltage drain issue on the battery is fixed or not...

Toque

Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice writeup!

Why is it so frakkin' difficult to add a MP3 player into a C5 in the first place????

-
Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this has anything to do with the battery drain issue with these IPOD2CAR adaptors but I thought I would post anyway. I ordered the IPOD2CAR adaptor made by NEO iOn Item # PODGM4V6. The cable adaptor that came with it is made by Peripheral and is model # PXHGM4. On the harness that plugs into the white box, mine does not have an orange wire as noted above. Mine has a white wire so I hope it is a switched 12v source. I have not had a chance to install my setup yet due to the outside temps being below 30 degrees. I wonder if this has more to do with the type of adaptor harness used than anything else. My adaptor cable setup was specified for a non CD changer arrangement and was listed as the propoer adaptor for my year and make on the vendor site I purchased the kit from.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:18 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Nice writeup!

Why is it so frakkin' difficult to add a MP3 player into a C5 in the first place????

-
Maybe because there was no such thing, back in the early 90s when the C5 was designed. After all, it went through 8 model years with only slight changes to the interior.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by SUPERCRUZ
Not sure if this has anything to do with the battery drain issue with these IPOD2CAR adaptors but I thought I would post anyway. I ordered the IPOD2CAR adaptor made by NEO iOn Item # PODGM4V6. The cable adaptor that came with it is made by Peripheral and is model # PXHGM4. On the harness that plugs into the white box, mine does not have an orange wire as noted above. Mine has a white wire so I hope it is a switched 12v source. I have not had a chance to install my setup yet due to the outside temps being below 30 degrees. I wonder if this has more to do with the type of adaptor harness used than anything else. My adaptor cable setup was specified for a non CD changer arrangement and was listed as the propoer adaptor for my year and make on the vendor site I purchased the kit from.
I was told I needed a different setup.

I got:
1.) Peripheral ISGM73 iPod™ Adapter
2.) Peripheral GMH20TC 20-Pin T-Harness for 1997-04 Corvettes

Its possible your setup might not have this issue. The different setups are not very well documented for our cars install. Thats why I tried to make a procedure above.

Toque
Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

so far so good on the battery? Sucks you can't go next except 8 or 9 times on shuffle. how about if you load a playlist, can you skip indefinitely then?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by iced98lx
so far so good on the battery? Sucks you can't go next except 8 or 9 times on shuffle. how about if you load a playlist, can you skip indefinitely then?
Tried the play list.... No luck. I just have to manually skip ahead songs on the IPOD to get to the next song I want. It kinda sucks, but I'll live with it.

I am going to look at my battery every day after work this week. I will report back at the end of the week. Hopefully my fix above fixed my drain issue....

Stay tuned !

Toque
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Guys:

Just a quick report on the battery drain issue with the IPOD adapter fix I made above. I have not driven my car since Sunday night.

So far my voltage is:
Monday = 12.70 Volts
Tuesday = 12.65 Volts

So far so good.....

Toque
Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Guys:

Its going to be 80F today. I decided to get Z06 out and drive it to work.... I think the fix I did last weekend fixed my issue.

The car has been idle in my garage since last Sunday night till this Thursday morning.

Voltage readings:
Monday = 12.70 Volts
Tuesday = 12.65 Volts
Wednesday = 12.64 Volts
Thursday Morning = 12.55 Volts

I will continue keeping an eye on it though.

Toque

Get notified of new replies

To Ipod Adapter - Install Procedure - Z06/C5 - No CD Changer

Old 01-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Ryan L
Melting Slicks

Thanks Toque, that's an awesome write up. Since you researched so much, I have a question.

Instead of an iPod connection output, I just need a standard headphone jack for regular MP3 players. Do you know the part number for that?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Ryan L
Thanks Toque, that's an awesome write up. Since you researched so much, I have a question.

Instead of an iPod connection output, I just need a standard headphone jack for regular MP3 players. Do you know the part number for that?
I am not sure honestly. I just worked on the IPOD harnesses above. Sorry !

Toque
Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The pics and the write-up are great! Per Peripheral Electronics, the right harness for this configuration is the PXHGM4...and contrary to many posts, mostly older, the item is in-stock and available. I bought this unit and cable and then read about the battery problems; here's PE's response:

It does have a slight draw (as any product would when connected to the vehicles battery) that may kill the battery if the vehicle is not driven frequently. The draw is a lot less when the iPod is left unconnected. There is a way to cut and connect the yellow power wire from the harness to an accessory 12 volt source and that way it will completely shut down when the vehicle is off.

Am I missing something or is this unit not an "accessory" that should be using that source by design? If I have to cut wires to get something installed, that kinda defeats the purpose of "plug and play" from my perspective.

I'm certainly not going to start cutting wires in my Z06...so on to the forum it goes for sale.

Quick Reply: Ipod Adapter - Install Procedure - Z06/C5 - No CD Changer