Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Already have X-pipe, who sells the best "JUST headers" setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Already have X-pipe, who sells the best "JUST headers" setup?

Several months ago I installed a borla catback and x-pipe. I'm looking to get a pair of headers put in but all the ones I see for sale include cats and an xpipe. I don't really want the cats and I especially don't want the xpipe since I already have one installed.

Who sells what I need? What replaces the cats? just some random metal tubing? Do those come with the headers or does a shop have to custom make them?

Leave your cats vs. no cats opinions at the door, please.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by DevilMan02
Several months ago I installed a borla catback and x-pipe. I'm looking to get a pair of headers put in but all the ones I see for sale include cats and an xpipe. I don't really want the cats and I especially don't want the xpipe since I already have one installed.

Who sells what I need? What replaces the cats? just some random metal tubing? Do those come with the headers or does a shop have to custom make them?

Leave your cats vs. no cats opinions at the door, please.
You will have to use shorty headers and fab an off road pipe

Much easier to sell the x and get LT's

Peace
Chip

Peace
Chip

Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
guitar420911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Arg. I definitely don't want shorties. I'm aiming for Long tubes. Guess I wasted my money on that xpipe then.

What do you think the xpipe would sell for?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Arg. I definitely don't want shorties. I'm aiming for Long tubes. Guess I wasted my money on that xpipe then.

What do you think the xpipe would sell for?
What kind is it?

Peace
Chip
Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Muffler Shop

Try going to a muffler shop in your area. Ask other Corvette owners who is good in your town. Show the shop what you have and see if they can fab a connection to the headers. Just a thought it might be cheaper then replacing your mid system.
There is a red line with links above go to the store link and there are headers for sale there. Also if just watch the forum threads many of the vendors are running specials on headers only. In my opinion LG, B and B, and Kooks are the best headers.
Jeffy'
Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Rossi396
Pro

I was thinking along the same lines as I already had a Pace setup with the Corsa X. I think the problem lies with the fitment of your X-Pipe to the new headers.

No opinion on cats vs. no cats but I do have a question. (And a bit of a hijack). If I have a 2000 without the pups, could I use my factory cats with a header system and X-Pipe?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 PM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rossi396
I was thinking along the same lines as I already had a Pace setup with the Corsa X. I think the problem lies with the fitment of your X-Pipe to the new headers.

No opinion on cats vs. no cats but I do have a question. (And a bit of a hijack). If I have a 2000 without the pups, could I use my factory cats with a header system and X-Pipe?
It looks like the Kooks system offers that kind of setup.

I'm understanding now why I'll have to get rid of my xpipe. Mine is farther back and it seems with the Kooks LT's they put the xpipe up further to take the place of the cats (sort of). But if you get the Kooks headers (pictured above), maybe they'll just plug right into what's already there?

Last edited by DevilMan02; 01-21-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Rossi396
Pro

Thanks, I'll take a look at these. I did a bit of searching on the forum and found an awful lot of header setups using stock cats. I'm not necessarily doing it for the savings (although that's nice) but I have a friend with a modded '01 coupe and he actually said the high flow cats droned at speed. He had a shop weld his stock ones back in. He's using Stainless Works. Can anyone else comment on what systems will hook up to the stock cats?

quote=DevilMan02;1568638978]It looks like the Kooks system offers that kind of setup.

I'm understanding now why I'll have to get rid of my xpipe. Mine is farther back and it seems with the Kooks LT's they put the xpipe up further to take the place of the cats (sort of). But if you get the Kooks headers (pictured above), maybe they'll just plug right into what's already there?[/quote]
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 PM
guitar420911
Racer

I've got a xpipe and TSP told me their long tubes should fit fine as long as I don't want/need cats.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 AM
2_60b4u
Racer

I have a set of LG Pro long tubes with the cat delete pipes that might work for you. Let me know if you are interested, and I can send you some pics. Iroczvert89@gmail.com
Old 01-22-2009, 08:25 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

It looks like the Kooks system offers that kind of setup.

I'm understanding now why I'll have to get rid of my xpipe. Mine is farther back and it seems with the Kooks LT's they put the xpipe up further to take the place of the cats (sort of). But if you get the Kooks headers (pictured above), maybe they'll just plug right into what's already there?

I've got Kook Long Tubes installed in my car with a Magnaflow X-pipe. I modified the system to retain the factory cats because there was nothing wrong with them and they still worked fine.

Kook offers stock cat adapters for this application and the welding needed was relatively painless.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Try contacting LG, Kooks or Dynatech and see if they can help you.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 AM
34RedRage
Race Director

after having a discussion with chip from cca i have decided to go with arh later this summer, via chip at cca. they seem to be the best set-up for the money.....
Old 01-22-2009, 11:04 AM
guitar420911
Racer

Originally Posted by Bvette2000
I've got Kook Long Tubes installed in my car with a Magnaflow X-pipe. I modified the system to retain the factory cats because there was nothing wrong with them and they still worked fine.

Kook offers stock cat adapters for this application and the welding needed was relatively painless.
I have a Magnaflow xpipe as well, do you have any pics of your system using the stock cats?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 AM
jjmoberg
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

If the X pipe was bolted to the factory location after the stock cats (like my Magnaflow) then the LG headers with their cat delete pipe should get you very close. That is what I will be doing when i get rid of my Bassani headers in a few years. It will probably not be right on, but close enough that any exhaust shop should be able to make it work with minimal modification.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Rossi396
Pro

Guys:

I think I'm going with a "Headers Only" purchase on the LG Streets (around $695.00). I'm planning on using the stock cats and my stock Corsa X-pipe. I have access to a lift, a tig and a mig.

Here's my question (which could possibly be a stupid one) but I have to ask...Is the stock C5 exhaust stainless?Are the CATS stainless? The reason I ask is that the tig work would obviously look better where I would need sections of pipe or clamps welded in. I guess the other option would be to have band clamps fabricated that would overlap the header to cat portion of the exhaust.

I guess I just can't see spending an additional $600.00 on an X-pipe (which I already have) and high flow cats (which are going to gain me somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 RWHP) when I can get most of the work done on the cheap...

Any thoughts guys? I'd really like to see pics of anyone who has a setup with LT's and an X-pipe but used the stock cats...

Thanks!

Rossi

Get notified of new replies

To Already have X-pipe, who sells the best "JUST headers" setup?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:43 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by guitar420911
I have a Magnaflow xpipe as well, do you have any pics of your system using the stock cats?
I can email pics to anybody interested in my system, I'm not set up to post here with Photobucket.

See pictures in below post, hope this helps!

Last edited by B-Vette; 01-29-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: EDIT: CREATED A PHOTOBUCKET ACCOUNT FINALLY!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Here is what my setup looks like:

Old 01-29-2009, 03:13 PM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Yeah I think I'm going to end up calling LG and speaking with someone. I read somewhere that LG teamed with Borla to make their headers. I'll see what they say and report back my findings.

Edit:

I just got off the phone with Mike from LG. Really nice guy and took the time to listen and explain to me the whole situation. I let him know that I already have the Borla straight pipes and x pipe and that I wanted a 'just headers and deleted cats' setup. He said that it would be possible to get the pipes to hook up, but it's not going to be the best or most optimized setup.

He said doing that is essentially taking 2 buns to McDonalds and having them put something together. It's best to just take the x-pipe off and sell it. He also mentioned that since it's a pipe, they are not really subjected to much 'wear and tear' and therefore can be sold close to what they were bought at.

He stated that for the LG pro's, they ran countless tests on the best possible setup. Having the xpipe where they placed it yielded slightly better results than anywhere else. So their configuration is the best, most optimized layout for maximum hp gains.

He also stated that they're installing them for $599 and right now that price includes a FREE DYNO TUNE. Not bad at all!

Now I'm upset that I live in FL and not TX...

Last edited by DevilMan02; 01-29-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Already have X-pipe, who sells the best "JUST headers" setup?