Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $40 fix for broken side bolsters [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 PM
SEC5
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP with seat Air Pumps / Motors !!

Originally Posted by ScumOne
I did the blood pressure cuff fix to the seats of my 99. The passenger seat works great. The driver's side makes a clicking noise when I press the switches. Since the cuffs aren't inflating, I have to figure the pump is broken/leaking.

Can anyone point me to a DIY repair thread or part # for the bladder pump for the 99 sport seat?

I'd like to have the same comfort the passenger seat has, which is great, thanks to this and one other thread I read.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Jim, I'm looking for the same info, maybe a schematic on the entire inflation system.
I notice that the pumps are working (can hear them when pressing all switches), so today I checked the bladder bags and to my surprise only the lower lumbar bag was shot, right where the hose connects.
I disconnected all hoses, and worked the switches to find there is NO AIR coming or going through any of the air lines that are on the top side of the seat.
So this is either the pump connected to the motor that is not sending air, possibly a bad seal or bushing or something. Or for some reason the air lines are just disconnected from the motors under the seat.
I would like to figure this out before having to pull the whole seat out of the car.

Is there another known issue besides the bags having a bad connection?
Anything that involves the "air pump" side? Remember, my motors are still humming, just no air coming out of hoses??

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Also..... Will replace busted bag, but, as preventative measure, will also get Junior cuffs, and replace the rest since it is 13 years young, and I've got the seat(s) apart already!!
Another quick question if anyone has ever tried, just using 1 large (adult) cuff in the center instead of the 2? How does it work out? I've had 3 back surgeries, and am thinking about 2 adult cuffs, and just spacing them a little further apart (moving the bottom one a little farther down, and the other just on top), thinking I can in/de flate as needed to get softest most supportive ride??
Just a thought!.... Also, if anyone has had back support issues, there is nothing like a good set of inflatable bolsters!! Never sat in a racing seat, but, I'd bet it is as close as you can get in a "Sport" seat!!??!!

OK... Any leads, or direction to the right threads would be much appreciated!!
Thanks Again, this forum F'n ROCKS!!

SEC5

PS.... GEAUX TIGERS !!! GEAUMAHA BOUND!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:39 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

SEC5: I haven't got a schematic...yet. I have a buddy on another forum sending me some info on it, but haven't heard from him yet. I'll check in with him to see what's up.

My "used" bladder pump came in today, I'll probably get the seat out tomorrow and hook it up.

Re: hoses...check to make sure you haven't got any that are pinched, cracked or leaking from pump to bladder bags. Pretty sure the 3/16" tubing is what you want. The new blood pressure cufffs come with a good 20" on each one, so that may be enough to run to your pump by itself. Make note of which hose runs to what on the pump to check (they have three air nipples, one each for top/bottom lumbar, one only for side bolsters) the operation.

Re: blood pressure cuffs. Two adult in the back, one child in each bolster has more air than the stock bladder bags. I highly suggest replacing all four (especially since you'll have the seat out). I rehung mine with 2" black duct tape over the stock inserts, so you can adjust them to suit.

Shoot me an email or PM if you like, I'll send you pics of the process.

I am replacing my pump, but as soon as I get the service manual, I think it tells you how to repair the pump, too (or so I'm told), which will allow me to have a spare bladder pump.

I've got two C5's, both with power sport seats, so it will probably come in handy in the future.

Last edited by ScumOne; 06-10-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info! Guess I better get busy. Thanks again, this forum kicks *ss!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 PM
SEC5
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tore down air pump / motor assembly for lumbar! SUCCESS!!

Originally Posted by ScumOne
SEC5: I haven't got a schematic...yet. I have a buddy on another forum sending me some info on it, but haven't heard from him yet. I'll check in with him to see what's up.

My "used" bladder pump came in today, I'll probably get the seat out tomorrow and hook it up.

Re: hoses...check to make sure you haven't got any that are pinched, cracked or leaking from pump to bladder bags. Pretty sure the 3/16" tubing is what you want. The new blood pressure cufffs come with a good 20" on each one, so that may be enough to run to your pump by itself. Make note of which hose runs to what on the pump to check (they have three air nipples, one each for top/bottom lumbar, one only for side bolsters) the operation.

Re: blood pressure cuffs. Two adult in the back, one child in each bolster has more air than the stock bladder bags. I highly suggest replacing all four (especially since you'll have the seat out). I rehung mine with 2" black duct tape over the stock inserts, so you can adjust them to suit.

Shoot me an email or PM if you like, I'll send you pics of the process.

I am replacing my pump, but as soon as I get the service manual, I think it tells you how to repair the pump, too (or so I'm told), which will allow me to have a spare bladder pump.

I've got two C5's, both with power sport seats, so it will probably come in handy in the future.

Ok..... So with nothing to do today, I pulled the passenger seat and the 2 bags under the seat that contained the lumbar motor assemblies (motor, and bellows assembly, and I'm not sure of the technical name for either piece, but I'm sure you know what I am referring to)
So as I stated, my bags were mostly good, so I messed with the motor, and noticed that it was spinning, but there was no air coming out....
Well, WTH, Right?? I tore into it not knowing what I would find, and it is a very simple centrifugal fan sitting on top of the motor. It has little ribs that extend from the center unit when it gets spinning, causing the vacuum. I noticed the center piece spinning, but the ribs were not extending? I dumped it all out, noticed old grease (similar to axle) caked in the center piece, and probably preventing the ribs to expand. As I said, I dumped it out, busted out the WD40, and cleaned the grease off of everything, until the ribs slid in and out very easily. Assembled it all back together (4- torx 10 screws) and voila it is blowing and sucking air again. Now it is late, and I have no grease here to repack it, so tomorrow I will tear it all down again, and grease everything down real good (I'm sure it was there for a reason, besides it is a moving part) and replug everything back in... Hopefully with the new BP Cuffs installed as well, pending I can find child ones...

Ok, I as well noticed there is no write up about this, or good photos, unless I just can't find it... I would be happy to document the tearing down and re building of the pump. Is there anyone that has been here a while that knows if this topic has been covered, definitely willing to help with what I've learned, but don't want to do,all the work if some technician has already posted detailed info on it.... Thanks again for your help...
Let me know your thoughts about posting the DIY for this pump???!!

SEC5
Old 03-20-2014, 04:05 PM
needhamboy
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mcgilles, any chance of getting photos posted again?
Old 03-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by needhamboy
Mcgilles, any chance of getting photos posted again?
Here is a different link for this same kind of repair has lots of working pictures

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...l-style-4.html
Old 03-22-2014, 03:53 PM
needhamboy
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Help with seats air pump motors

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
Here is a different link for this same kind of repair has lots of working pictures

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...l-style-4.html
Thank you pirateslife4me, I have a 1996 c4 with sport seats. Is this info correct for my car as it's in the c5 section.
Still trying to find out how to gain access to my drivers side seat side bolster. The blood pressure bags will probably my seat but how do I get to them?
Old 03-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by needhamboy
Thank you pirateslife4me, I have a 1996 c4 with sport seats. Is this info correct for my car as it's in the c5 section.
Still trying to find out how to gain access to my drivers side seat side bolster. The blood pressure bags will probably my seat but how do I get to them?
I would assume it would be very similar but I really have no idea. I would post in the C4 general forum http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...discussion-34/ and see. I'm sure there is someone there that has had similar issues and fixed seats just like yours.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:17 PM
nuts105
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I posted on this thread before but I guess didn't.
My take is the blood pressure bladders are a nice idea, with one flaw: they will never permanently attach to the frame or anything else, because when you inflate them, they stretch and thus undo any glue, tape, or what else you used. I have a simpler and cheaper fix: uses acrylic nylon glue (the one to fix holes in vinyl air mattress etc), in addition to automotive amazing goop. Sorry, I didn't take pictures at the time.
First, remove the nipple material completely. This is the part that fails.
Then, stick the air tube into the hole (where the nipple used to be) about 1/8" inch deep, and put on a few layers (drying in between) of the acrylic liquid glue around this new artificial neck. This creates an airtight seal.
But to withstand the pressure of the air, you have to apply 2 or three layers of goop around the neck. Air bubbles in that layer are not a problem.
Believe it or not, this works, and has worked for over a year now. Ie I get the same performance as original new bladders, without a leak.
Don't try to use only one type of glue, this will not work (ask me how I know).

Last edited by nuts105; 09-17-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:19 PM
nuts105
Advanced

And for those that want to take the bladder route: I have a complete set of 4 blood pressure bladders (never used) that I'm willing to sell for $10 plus shipping, rather than throwing them away.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Trkdrvr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

That's great but I was referring g to the bottom of the seat you know where your butt goes I was in able to down lode pics on the fix you did
Old 03-26-2017, 06:49 PM
nuts105
Advanced

well as to my method, there apparently is an expiration date: driver's side started leaking (slowly), so that puts it at about 2.5 years of daily use working without flaw. But yeah, not ideal. Though almost time to replace the seat covers again anyhow. Next time I think I'll use some sort of clamping contraption to tie the tube to the bladder.

How long do the bladders in the OP's solution last anyhow??
Old 09-03-2017, 10:20 PM
4Sievert
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgilles
So I finally fixed my broken side bolsters today. Took $40 and about 30 minutes. This was a very easy fix! I Can't take credit for the idea, I got it from another forum member. I can't remember if pics were posted earlier, if not here are a few!

Parts needed:
Blood pressure cuffs, one for each bladder to be repalced. 2 per seat for side bolsters, 2 per seat for lumbar support. I got 4 to do both side bolsters in both seats. They can be found at Walmart, they will usually have some on the shelf. If not here's the link http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5533954
Vacuum tight tube couplers, one for each bladder 3/8" to 3/8" is just the right size. I got these at Advance Auto.

here are the parts:

These are extra large blood pressure cuffs which I got for about $10 each from Walmart. They turned out to be about 4 times the size of the bladders but worked perfectly. Smaller cuffs might be easier to stuff into the bolsters though. These are replacement cuffs only so they don't have regulators or pumps, just the part you need. As it turns out they have a T fitting about 2" down the air tube, pop that fitting off and its ready to be used. The T fitting actually would work great for connecting it to the side bolster air lines, but you'd have to plug the 3rd opening.

You don't have to take the seats out, just fold down the center section. There are instructions on vettessentials web site I think. Pull the zipper out from between the seat cushions and use needle nose pliers to unzip it. Then pop out the 2 plastic clips and fold the center section down. Then there are 4 more plastic clips to remove to gain access to the side bolsters.

Once you have this apart and start looking at the bladders you'll quickly find the problem:

There are plastic elbows which connect the air lines up to the bladders. The air lines are fine, the pump works great, the bladder itself holds air, but these stupid little fittings rot out and break off. from what I've heard I think this is the cause of almost all seat bladder failures.

Cut off the remains of the broken fitting

Pull the bladder out of the seat, they are stuffed up under the side bolsters but easy to remove.

Connect the blood pressure cuff up to the air line using the 3/8" to 3/8" vacuum tight fitting. I'm using a 3/8" - 3/8" T fitting with a 1/8" 3rd connection with a plug on that extra line. This is just because I happen to have them sitting around, find a 3/8" to 3/8" air fitting when buying the parts.

Then just wrap the blood pressure cuff up and stuff it under the side bolster where the factory bladder is. I did not secure it in any way, the seat itself will hold it in place.

Put the seat back together and enjoy having your side bolsters back! My car came with them broken so its the first time I've gotten to enjoy them. I don't know what made me wait so long to do this, it was very easy and took about 30 minutes!
Dear McGilles,

I see your article on repairing the C5 side and lumbar seat bolsters and I need to repair mine as well. I cannot see the pics however as instead of the photos it says "Photo not found" for each of them. Might you be able to send me them to wcsievert@yahoo.com?

THANKS!
Bill Sievert
Old 03-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Ulianokr
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New reply to an old post...

Anyone have an idea where I can get the pictures? they don't seem to be with this posting any longer. thanks in advance

Quick Reply: The $40 fix for broken side bolsters [pics]