Sponsored by:

Wipers not working all of a sudden

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wipers not working all of a sudden

Hey guys,

My wipers aren't working for some reason. I get in the car and no DTCs or anything, they just dont work. I check the fuse and it is good, but nothing, no squirters, no movement, nothing.

I take the key out and start the car and shut it down 3 or 4 times, and nothing. I gave up and started to drive home in the rain hoping to go fast enough for the air to clean it, and about 10 minutes on the road the wipers started to work...

ONCE... that was it, one trial and it worked for one sweep, and then it stopped again.

Nothing looked odd, no weird noises nothing, just stopped again.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be or had this happen?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like a loose wire...

If not, maybe a bad ground connection from the wiper motor. Check the negative wire from the wiper motor to the chasis (ground). You may just need to clean up the connection.

Good luck and let us know.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:18 PM
mistermog
Drifting

dang, i have to take the cowl cover off for that one, too late tonight. hope it doesnt rain tomorrow! any other ideas to make note of for tomorrow?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:23 PM
BigTattooMan
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I'm sure you already checked, but if not, check your udders (please don't take that the wrong way). but they may be clogged and flooded the motor.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 PM
mistermog
Drifting

hmm i didnt think about those, but the inside floor is dry, and the cars been mostly dry since this afternoon and still no dice... it was wet when it worked and dry since then and nothing.

but its on the list... i think i have to do thsi from under the car right?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
BigTattooMan
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by mistermog
hmm i didnt think about those, but the inside floor is dry, and the cars been mostly dry since this afternoon and still no dice... it was wet when it worked and dry since then and nothing.

but its on the list... i think i have to do thsi from under the car right?
No you can get to them from the drivers side by sliding your arm between the wiper fluid box and windshield. Mine did that last summer and I still don't have a park possition, only solution I could find was changing the motor $200+ but any way mine did the same thing, stoped working but a few dry days later they started working on their own, I could not control them, once they got it out of their system they have worked fine except they don't complete the move to the bottom park position, plus side I've enjoyed the faster response when turning them on... Let me know what you find, still looking for closure on mine...
Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
mistermog
Drifting

hmm ok thats something i can check real quick... out to go squeeze some vette danglies! hehe...

wow, ok once i got a light in there, those 2 udders on the driver side are SOOO easy to reach... nope, completely empty. not one scrap in either.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Try a search on the TECH section; this may have been addressed before.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 PM
mistermog
Drifting

i have, nothign seems similar that i could find, ill go give it another shot though, i mighta missed something.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 AM
mistermog
Drifting

Well, as an update... all the contacts that I can see seem clean, and everything looks normal dry and clean. The wipers work first try of the day, then usually don't work again. Every so often they will work for another shot later in the day (I have an hour long drive, so Im not shutting the car off or anything, but even shutting it down doesn't change anything)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Loose wire somewhere in the switch maybe?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:53 AM
poolboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The other problem part I have seen in posts is the switch itself, in the turn signal stalk
Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTattooMan
No you can get to them from the drivers side by sliding your arm between the wiper fluid box and windshield. Mine did that last summer and I still don't have a park possition, only solution I could find was changing the motor $200+ but any way mine did the same thing, stoped working but a few dry days later they started working on their own, I could not control them, once they got it out of their system they have worked fine except they don't complete the move to the bottom park position, plus side I've enjoyed the faster response when turning them on... Let me know what you find, still looking for closure on mine...
I had similar symptoms, though they would return to the "parked" position. I cleaned out the udders and still had intermittent wiper problems (February). Was told it was likely the motor so I bought one, but after removing the cowl and starting to do the replacement (I saw no evidence of loose wires or anything while I was in there) I realized it was above my pay grade so buttened it up, returned the motor, and decided to have my mechanic do it when I had the $$$$ and could leave the car with him.

Long story short, about a week later the wipers began working properly and have been perfect ever since

I am sure this post has screwed me; in the meanwhile I will be following this thread.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 PM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

The intermittent wipers are a classic sign of the udders being clogged and flooding the wiper motor. Mine had all kind of stuff in them. I took a knife and cut the bottoms out of them, that way there was no place for the stuff to get trapped.

Haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:59 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Well, I knwo they arent the udders because if you look at the top, I already checked them

Its weird, they worked on the way home right when I started the car, then 2 minutes later they didnt respond, then 25 minutes later they were working again....

this is driving me up the Fn wall!

Get notified of new replies

To Wipers not working all of a sudden

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wipers not working all of a sudden